Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Inner-city high school substitute teacher. Degrees in mathemetics, accounting, and education. Years and years of tutoring.

Describe the current age composition of the U.S. population

Describe the current age composition of the U.S. population and how it is expected to change in the next 10 to 20 years.

Identify the factors that support this trend.

•Environmental factors
•Changing demographics

Explain how the aging trend is likely to increase or decrease the health issues covered in this course. Include examples of at least two relevant diseases.

Ray Atkinson :

According to the CIA World Factbook (at 20% are under 15 years old, and 13% are over 65. With the continuing increase in healthcare, people are living longer each year. Couple that with the declining birth rate (at, the chart of the population of this country is going to continue to skew to the right.
With people living longer, geriatric issues are going to continue to become more and more the central issue in healthcare, likely involving increased research into dementia and Alzheimer's, as well as Osteoporosis.

To be honest I dont understand the the first part of my question maybe that is why I cant understand your answer. I also dont understand how you mention the brith rate is declining and the but people are living longer. I can be easily confused can you explain this a little more? Please have patience with me :(

Ray Atkinson :

Not a problem. The current age composition is asking for how the ages of the population is spread out. As I said, 20% are under 15 years old, 13% are over 65, and the rest are between 15 and 64.

Ray Atkinson :

Since less babies are being born, and people are living longer, the average are is climbing.

Ray Atkinson :

average age is climbing, rather.

thank you I appreciate your explanation.