Joanne
Joanne, Tutor
Experience:  BSc (Hons) Political Science
14883717

HISTORY QUESTIONS PLEASE HELP I NEED PARAGRAPH ANSWERS FOR

PLEASE PLEASE  ILL ADD BONUS FOR GREAT ANSWERS!!!!HISTORY QUESTIONS PLEASE HELP I NEED PARAGRAPH ANSWERS FOR EACH WITH SOURCES CITED>>>>PLEASE HELP NEED BY TONIGHT!!!! These are the two questions along with some reading Ihave provided, but still need other sources for answers 1. "Slavery was the primary cause of the Civil War." True or False. Defend your rationale. 2. Discuss the Peculiar Institution. How could one defend the system from a social and economic point of view? Why did "Christian gentlemen" defend the Peculiar Institution? Why does this seem strange? Explain.

Reading material: INTRODUCTION Sectional tensions within the United States intensified in the 1830s with the evolution of the Abolitionist Movement and especially after the land acquisitions after the Mexican-American War. Were these new lands to be free states or slave states? The 1850s was a period of continuing strife over slavery as well as clear differences in culture and economics between the South and the rest of the nation. By 1860, two nations existed within the United States. One, located in the southeast, remained parochial and was dominated by agriculture, which was supported by the institution of slavery. The other, in the northeast, was based on new technologies and industrialization as illustrated in the iron rails of railroads. This dichotomy made apparent the contradictions in American economic and social life as of 1860. It culminated in one of the most significant events in American history, the Civil War There has been much deliberation and debate by historians as to whether or not slavery was the major cause of the Civil War. After all, this Civil War had a "blood" price of nearly a million casualties (including the dead and wounded). Was slavery really the primary cause? Noted Civil War historian, Bruce Catton explains: Although there were serious differences between the sections, all of them except slavery could have been settled through the democratic process. Slavery poisoned the whole situation. It was the issue that could not be compromised, the issue that made men so angry they did not want to compromise. It put a cutting edge on all arguments. It was not the only cause of the Civil War, but it was unquestionably the one cause without which the war would not have taken place. The antagonism between the sections came finally, and tragically, to express itself through the slavery issue (Catton, 1988, p. 10). What were the other issues? The South remained agricultural, while the North pursued industry. The North favored tariffs on imports to protect its industries against foreign competition while the South was against them because it traded its agricultural produce to Europe. Southern society was more static, while the North was more dynamic. All of the economic and social issues that separated the North and South can be reduced to the fact that the South's way of life revolved around its "peculiar institution" that it refused to relinquish, even to the point of war. The South saw its "way of life" as protected by the Tenth Amendment. The North, over time, saw slavery as an evil institution that needed to be abolished. This became what philosophers call an impasse. The South would not give up slavery and the North refused to allow it to continue. It took a million casualties to finally end slavery in the United States. After the war, the North needed to rebuild the South due to the normal devastation of war, including the added destruction of Union General William T. Sherman's "Slash and Burn" from Atlanta to Savannah. Actually, some of the work of the Reconstruction Era had begun before the war ended. Passage of the Thirteenth Amendment that abolished slavery was the first major step, but there were two sides to the story and in many ways those two sides worked against each other. The task of Reconstruction included both putting the Union back together and aiding southern African Americans in their transition to freedom in a post-war America. The problem was that the quicker the Union was re-assembled, the more problematic aiding southern African Americans became. This push-pull served to inform and shape the entire era of Reconstruction from 1865 to 1877. Sectionalism: North, West, and South The growth of the cotton kingdom and the textile industry were the catalysts of America's industrial evolution before the Civil War. In 1793, Eli Whitney patented the cotton gin, which removed the seeds from the short staple variety of cotton 50 times faster than by hand. After 1800, short staple cotton cultivation spread rapidly throughout the South, and especially in the 1820s and 1830s, to the fertile lands of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee. The South became the world's primary producer of cotton. Along with the growth of America's cotton industry came the evolution of its textile industry. The Boston Manufacturing Company led the way for industry in the North. The company revolutionized what became the company town.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Joanne replied 2 years ago.

Joanne :

hello

Joanne :

your answers are ready

Joanne :

please download here

Joanne :

please help by leaving a positive feedback after hitting accept, thanks

Joanne :

were you able to access the answer?

Joanne, Tutor
Experience: BSc (Hons) Political Science