Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

Speech assistance: 1. When dealing with speech anxiety and

Speech assistance:

1. When dealing with speech anxiety and nervousness you should: (Points : 4)
Know that symptoms are less noticeable than you think
Apologize for your nervousness
Think performance, not communication
Focus on yourself, not the audience

2. Which of the following should be accomplished prior to drafting your speech outline? (Points : 4)
You should analyze your audience
You should research your material
You should determine a specific goal
all of the above answers are correct

3. The most important reason for gathering demographic data is so you can: (Points : 4)
know where to look for information
predict audience reactions to your topic
know how long to make the speech
determine whether the audience wants to hear a speech on the topic you selected

4. A student spreads his books out on a table in the college library and hangs his jacket on the back of the chair at the table. He does this to indicate that the table is “his.” This is an example of: (Points : 4)
Paralanguage
Chronemics
Proxemics
Haptics

5. When your textbook describes public speaking as a form of empowerment, it means that public speaking is (Points : 4)
a way to manipulate people.
a way to make a difference in something we care about.
a way to make everyone see things through our frame of reference.
a way to demonstrate how clever we are.
a way to make bad ideas seem good.

6. Which of the following does your textbook recommend as a way to deal with nervousness in your speeches? (Points : 4)
Visualize yourself giving a successful speech.
Concentrate on communicating with the audience, rather than on your nerves.
Choose a topic you care about and prepare thoroughly for the speech.
all of the above

7. Emil began his research early and found some excellent sources for his informative speech. He cut and pasted passages from several Web sites into a file in his word processor. When he started putting his speech together, he used some complete sentences from the cut-and-pasted materials, paraphrases from other passages, and several original ideas of his own. Unfortunately, Emil forgot to record his sources in his research notes, so he didn't cite any of the sources in his speech. Which of the following statements best describes Emil's situation? (Points : 4)
Emil is guilty of global plagiarism
Emil is ethical because he used many of his own ideas.
Emil is ethical because he started his research early and found good material.
Emil is ethical because he meant to take better notes about his sources.
Emil is guilty of incremental plagiarism.

8. Which of the following is recommended by your textbook as a way to avoid plagiarism? (Points : 4)
Avoid using direct quotations from other people in your speech.
Try to use as few sources as possible in researching your speech.
Avoid citing quotations and paraphrases in your speech.
Get an early start on researching and preparing your speech.
Make sure you include information from the library in your speech.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for the question.

1. Know that symptoms are less noticeable than you think

2. all of the above answers are correct

3. predict audience reactions to your topic

4. Proxemics

5. a way to make a difference in something we care about.

6. all of the above

7. Emil is guilty of incremental plagiarism.

8. Get an early start on researching and preparing your speech.

Hope this helps!

Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris.....

Can you assist me with these as well ?? ASAP

19. The process of generating ideas for speech topics by free association of words and ideas is known as (Points : 4) linking
aggregating
deliberating
brainstorming
advocating

20. Advocating a position is most appropriate when the general purpose of your speech is to (Points : 4) persuade.
inspire.
deliberate.
entertain.
inform

21. "Knowing how to deal with stress" is a poorly phrased specific purpose for a classroom speech because it (Points : 4) is too technical.
does not include a reference to the audience.
contains figurative language.
all of the above

22. "What should be done about the problem of hacking?" is a poorly phrased central idea for a persuasive speech because it is (Points : 4) too technical.
expressed in figurative language.
phrased as a question instead of as a statement.
all of the above

23. As your textbook explains, the primary purpose of speechmaking is to (Points : 4) gain a desired response from listeners.
learn more about the speech topic.
gain experience as a speaker.
try out new ideas with an audience.
display the speaker's knowledge.

24. Creating an oversimplified image of a particular group of people or assuming that all members of the group are alike is called. (Points : 4) egocentrism.
genotyping.
sensationalism.
stereotyping
ethnocentrism.

25. If you were giving an informative speech to a general audience about the war in Vietnam, the most important demographic factor to consider in analyzing your audience would probably be the (Points : 4) sexual orientation of the audience.
economic standing of the audience.
gender of the audience.
age of the audience.
education of the audience.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work