Eric M.
Eric M., Tutor
Experience:  9 years of tutoring experience, Bachelor's and Master's in Computing, pursuing PhD

23 parents were asked if they like to read..... mean 4.00

Customer Question

23 parents were asked if they like to read.....
mean 4.00 median 5.00 standard deviation 1.168

23 parent were asked it is fun to rea wit my child
mean 4.61 median 5.00 standard deviation .499

what does this mean or how do I interpret this data
Category: Homework
Expert:  Eric M. replied 4 years ago.

I'd love to help you with this. However, I need a little more information.

When you say "mean 4.00" and "mean 4.61", what was the survey instrument? Am I correct in assuming that the questions were structured as...

Agree or disagree: you like to read.
- Strongly disagree (1)
- Disagree (2)
- Neutral (3)
- Agree (4)
- Strongly agree (5)

Is that correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Eric....

I think my professor used a statistical instrument called SPSS (Statistical Package for Social Science) software, to calculate my answers for survey.

Thanks for replying paper due noon cental daylight time.....

Expert:  Eric M. replied 4 years ago.

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what would have been a normal distribution.......

thanks for all your was worth the $60.00....

Expert:  Eric M. replied 4 years ago.
A normal distribution occurs when the values are evenly distributed around the mean. So, for example, if the average of the survey had been 3 and the standard deviation had been 1, then that would suggest that just as many people replied "2" (one standard deviation below three) as replied "4" (one standard deviation above the mean). Usually, it wouldn't be possible to tell whether a distribution is normal solely on the basis of the information here, but because we know the maximum survey response value is '5', we know that there can't be answers above 5.

Certain properties of the normal distribution still apply (we can imagine the theoretical values above 5 being 'collapsed' into 5, so that 5 represents what would have been the number of responses of 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, etc.), but it's difficult to predict which properties specifically are still applicable.

And thanks! I'm so glad it was helpful! If you need any more help, please don't hesitate to ask.