Susan Athena
Susan Athena, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  10+ yrs teaching & tutoring. AP essay grader. 2 masters degrees. English, IT, business.
12809769

What are the strengths and limitations of using record reviews

What are the strengths and limitations of using record reviews for data collection in research?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Susan Athena replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for your question. Does this refer to a particular field, such as healthcare?

Kind regards,
Susan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it pertains to healthcare

Thank you for your question!

Your custom-written answer is below.

Kind regards,
Susan

The advantage of using record reviews for healthcare research is the quantity and quality of data available. Rather than asking busy healthcare providers to collect extra data for research, the data is already available in the form of medical records. Therefore more patients can be sampled and a more accurate conclusion can be reached. In addition, medical coding makes the chart review relatively easy. If we plan to rely on the coding as correct, then we can simply review the charts for the particular codes of interest.

The disadvantage is that the data isn't always complete. For example, some minor issues (e.g. minor reactions, minor incidents not requiring intervention) may not be charted. The researcher may be limited to research questions that are expected to be charted very accurately. For example, it wouldn't be appropriate for studies of how family dynamics affect treatment plans, because reactions of family members would generally not be part of the medical record.

In addition, the relevant data may be difficult to find because it's not indexed. Reviewing thousands of charts to find patients who showed a particular symptom can be challenging. The use of electronic medical records can make this process much easier, because symptoms and treatments are often listed/indexed by code in an information system or database.
Experience: 10+ yrs teaching & tutoring. AP essay grader. 2 masters degrees. English, IT, business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think there is so much misconduct in the research community? If yes? How about misconduct that lead you to go with a certain way with treatment that was not of scientific merit status?
Will training and education in research ethics help reduce the rate of misconduct in science?
Hi. Thanks for your question. Do you need references, or is this more of an opinion question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Need references please you, can also give an opinion, you are of great help
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.