1. The music of the Baroque period is usually characterized by
A. clarity and lightness.
B. extravagance and ornamentation.
C. simplicity and elegance.
D. restraint and reverence.
2. Julio wants the chorus to sing a section of music very softly. What will Julio write in that section to convey his wishes?
3. Which one of the following represents the most important element of sonata form?
A. Development of themes
B. Use of word painting
C. Use of Latin texts
D. Doctrine of affects
4. The text pattern of XXXXX XXXXX's "Terraplane Blues" is typical of songs in the
A. 8-to-the-bar pattern.
B. European classical tradition.
C. blue-note melody.
D. 12-bar blues.
5. A/An _______ is an unstaged opera on a sacred topic.
6. What is the musical term for one of many verses of poetry in a song?
7. The term ritornello refers to the main theme of a
B. concerto grosso.
C. virtuoso cadenza.
8. The Renaissance period in musical history lasted from about
A. 1650 to 1750.
B. 1500 to 1789.
C. 1425 to 1600. +
D. 1450 to 1750.
9. Dylan says that the conga and cachiche are non-pitched instruments. Lyla says that the cowbell and cymbal are non-pitched instruments. Who is correct?
A. Neither Dylan nor Lyla is correct.
B. Only Lyla is correct.
C. Only Dylan is correct.
D. Both Dylan and Lyla are correct.
10. The Italian word for "prayer hall," which refers to a piece of music that includes recitatives, arias, and choruses, is
B. opera buffa.
11. A _______ scale consists of five notes.
12. Bass and soprano registers are aspects of
A. rhythmic values.
13. How many symphonies did Brahms write?
14. The term _______ is an Italian word meaning "joke."
15. _______ is designed for performance in an intimate setting.
A. Opera buffa
C. Opera seria
D. Chamber music
16. The result of the fusion of rhythm and blues and honky tonk was A. reggae.
C. hip hop.
D. rock 'n' roll.
17. The Broadway musical is descended from the
18. Changing from one key to another is called
19. The repetition (AA), variation (AA'), and contrast (AB) of a piece of music are all part of the music's
20. At the start of the String Quartet in F Major, op. 96, Dvo?ák begins with a _______ pattern using a second violin and cello.
B. contrast and variation
C. stream of consciousness