Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

Part 1 of 1 - Question 1 of 20 5.0 Points Anwar

Part 1 of 1 -

Question 1 of 20 5.0 Points

Anwar is a preschooler in a family whose culture does not place much emphasis on early language development and reading. As a teacher, you would rightly see this as a threat to: XXXXX future socialization with mainstream children.

B. your ability to conduct age-appropriate learning in language development.

C. your efforts to create a multicultural environment in which every child has an equal opportunity to participate.

D. Anwar's potential for success in elementary school.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 2 of 20 5.0 Points

In early education, the term "bridging the gap" refers to:
A. your goal of gradually transforming non-mainstream children into successful participants in your mostly mainstream program.

B. discontinuity between home and school learning contexts.

C. your efforts to acclimate non-mainstream students as quickly as possible into your classroom program.

D. immersing non-mainstream children into exclusive use of the dominant mainstream language.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 3 of 20 5.0 Points

A child's observation of a parent writing a grocery list, his recognition of the Coca Cola logo, and his leafing through mailbox advertising literature exemplify:
A. cultural imprints.

B. autonomous language.

C. literacy events.

D. mastery of decontextualized language.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 4 of 20 5.0 Points

A speaker you overheard saying __________ was employing literate style oral language.
A. "'Ey, Joe. 'Ow's about droppin' by sometime?"

B. "Hello. Uh huh. Huh uh! Bye."

C. "Open your book to page 93, and complete the problems in the blue-bordered box."

D. "Whew! Never again!!" (accompanied by head-shaking and rolling of the eyes).
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 5 of 20 5.0 Points

Use of cohesive devices reflects a speaker's ability to:
A. talk about things that are obvious.

B. string ideas together to show specific relationships.

C. use episodic, rather than linear or hierarchical, story structures.

D. coordinate implicit and explicit meanings.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 6 of 20 5.0 Points

Which one of the following exemplifies the skill of eventcasting?
A. Lucita relates that her mother had a baby boy last night and they named him Paquito.

B. Omar correctly counts from one to twenty in English.

C. Ling draws a picture of her family sitting around the dinner table, conversing and laughing.

D. Little Bear reads a short tale from the teacher's Mother Goose book. The teacher says, "Can you tell us what you've just read?" Little Bear responds, "Yes."
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 7 of 20 5.0 Points

Early childhood professionals know that the beginning step in assisting non-mainstream children to develop literate style oral language is to:
A. identify receptive and expressive language quotients.

B. identify and use communication forms already familiar to the child.

C. present mainstream vocabulary through sight word cards.

D. model expected school language for replication.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 8 of 20 5.0 Points

Snow and Ninio's (1986) research led them to affirm that:
A. the ability to understand and produce decontextualized language may be the most difficult prerequisite to literacy.

B. the child's cognitive manipulation of linguistic symbols is dependent on the home's motivational support.

C. nurturance received in the classroom has a major impact on a child's cognitive perception and oral language attempts.

D. early social interactions that signal to the child the functional importance of language and communication skills are prerequisites to literacy.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 9 of 20 5.0 Points

When a teacher modifies a word game (e.g., Simon Says) to incorporate a higher level of speech, she is:
A. bridging the gap between home and school.

B. teaching sound-letter association.

C. modeling use of decontextualized language.

D. employing scripts to build and expand the child's cognitive ability.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 10 of 20 5.0 Points

Miguel is telling his teacher what he wants for lunch without looking at any pictures of the lunch choices. He is using __________ language.
A. formal

B. autonomous

C. polite

D. inquisitive
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 11 of 20 5.0 Points

The best way to develop a child's concept of linear sequencing in a story structure is to:
A. have the child memorize and recite nursery rhyme
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Your post got cut short at #11. Please repost #11-20.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Question 11 of 20 5.0 Points

A. have the child memorize and recite nursery rhymes, such as "Little Miss Muffett," in perfect order.

B. encourage the child to forward sequence the numerals 1-8.

C. have the child to place randomly selected letters in alphabetical order.

D. use phrases, such as "Once upon a time," "And then," and "That's the end," as one reads or tells a story.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 12 of 20 5.0 Points

Despite strong emphasis on the emergent literacy and whole language approaches to reading instruction, C. Chaney's research indicated that children still need help in the area of:
A. recognition of the syllable as a meaningful unit.

B. application of phonetic reading approaches.

C. analysis of rhyming in actual word and nonsensical units.

D. phonological awareness and sound-letter association.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 13 of 20 5.0 Points

In speaking to William, the classroom teacher said, "Bill can climb the hill." Then she said to the class, "See? I made a rhyme!" The teacher's goal was to:
A. train the children to differentiate human speech patterns.

B. develop the children's sound awareness.

C. teach children how to retrieve sound patterns.

D. model poetry appreciation.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 14 of 20 5.0 Points

Which of the following emergent literacy skills would a child likely display first?
A. Pretending to “read” story books

B. Talks about pictures

C. Holding a book the right side up

D. Rhyming words
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 15 of 20 5.0 Points

A 3 ½-year-old is riding in the car with his mom. He looks out the window and sees the familiar word McDonalds on a new building. He shouts look mom a new “McDonalds!” He is __________ when he sees the sign.
A. guessing

B. reading

C. using environmental print

D. sounding out the letters
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 16 of 20 5.0 Points

Which of the following emergent writing skills would a child likely display first?
A. Draws a face

B. Pretends to write letter to friends using wavy lines

C. Practices making letter-like forms

D. Makes lines and circles
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 17 of 20 5.0 Points

Young children are more likely to demonstrate early literacy skills when:
A. they are read to on a regular basis.

B. they watch television for over an hour.

C. they see their parents reading or watching television.

D. they play video games on the computer.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 18 of 20 5.0 Points

A 1992 finding by researchers Dickinson et al. about the language prompts used by low-income caregivers revealed a need for training in:
A. approaches for eliciting more referential language and labels.

B. expanding question formats to obtain a child's elaborations and predictions.

C. strategies for increasing frequency of story-reading events.

D. ways of modeling reading to instill a sense of pleasure in the activity.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 19 of 20 5.0 Points

A classroom activity that requires children to find their name cards at Circle Time or on the Daily Duties chart affords an opportunity for:
A. the teacher to observe the child's active participation in classroom responsibilities.

B. noting the child's adjustment to mainstream expectations.

C. demonstrating the functional utility of reading and writing.

D. bridging the gap between home and school learning contexts.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 20 of 20 5.0 Points

Certain social skills, particularly those related to __________, relate to children’s early school success.
A. teacher-student interaction

B. getting along with others

C. sharing and taking turns

D. social manners
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)