Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

Question 1 of 20 5.0 Points A teachers inability to control

Question 1 of 20 5.0 Points

A teacher's inability to control African-American children's behaviors is most likely to result from his or her:
A. fear of combative and aggressive actions.

B. failure to use a directive, authoritarian style.

C. insensitivity to emotional elements.

D. use of playful arguing and "volleying."
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 2 of 20 5.0 Points

A young Asian child would probably be less inclined to engage in backchanneling than a middle-class American child does because:

(Maximum number of characters: 60000)
Show/Hide Rich-Text Editor

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 3 of 20 5.0 Points

Which one of the following choices best completes the following scenario? A five-year-old __________-American child used to enjoy choosing her playmates and activity centers on the playground, but after her mother visited and observed the free play time, the child abruptly stopped this activity.
A. Mexican

B. Native

C. African

D. Japanese
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 4 of 20 5.0 Points

Because a young Hawaiian boy seemed to avoid talking to his teacher and often failed to do work tasks alone, his teacher decided it might be helpful to:
A. refer him to the special needs teacher.

B. give him a partner to work with.

C. reward him on performing at least one self-completed task.

D. reassign him to a new and smaller class.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 5 of 20 5.0 Points

A Native American child spent 30 minutes watching classmates make play dough figures but never once touched his own play dough. His teacher correctly interpreted this delayed response as coming from a:
A. sense of low self-esteem.

B. lack of understanding of the task's requirements.

C. need for affiliative support.

D. need to perform the task perfectly.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 6 of 20 5.0 Points

Which one of the following statements is not true?
A. Eye contact with the listener signals approval and consent in most non-Anglo cultural groups.

B. African-American children are taught to look away from a peer while listening.

C. Eye contact in Asian-American families is considered disrespectful.

D. The listener in middle class American culture is expected to maintain steady eye contact with the speaker.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 7 of 20 5.0 Points

A culture's emphasis on autonomy or dependence impacts adult-child interaction. Of the following choices, the ___________ cultures are most closely aligned in valuing dependence over autonomy.
A. Asian and Mexican-American

B. American mainstream and Native American

C. American mainstream and Mexican-American

D. Mexican-American and Native American
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 8 of 20 5.0 Points

Research about the impact of cultural values on peer social interaction in an early education classroom may lead one to conclude that this environment may create biases if the primary social orientation favors:
A. cooperation.

B. competition.

C. non-mainstream values.

D. group play activities.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 9 of 20 5.0 Points

Children in African-American and similar non-mainstream groups generally exhibit a play style oriented toward:
A. physical self-testing.

B. feelings and people.

C. object manipulation and exploration.

D. creative and symbolic play.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 10 of 20 5.0 Points

The __________ cultural groups' tolerance levels place them at opposite ends of the "verve" continuum.
A. African-American and Asian

B. African-American and Anglo

C. Mexican-American and Native American

D. Native American and Asian
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 11 of 20 5.0 Points

A teacher's concern about a child's hyperactivity, boredom with structure, and preference for loud and energy-driven operations, may signal a misunderstanding about __________ dimensions.
A. learning style

B. input-output intolerance

C. spontaneity indication

D. stimulus intensity
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 12 of 20 5.0 Points

An educator who uses stereotype-free learning materials and activities that allow both boys and girls to participate in the same physical play is promoting:
A. insensitivity to cultural differences.

B. a biased curriculum.

C. American mainstream cultural values. CORRECT ANSWER Page 117

D. a spirit of exclusion, rather than inclusion.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 13 of 20 5.0 Points

The cognitive ability to recognize __________ precedes children's later development of grouping and generalizing ability.
A. labels

B. foreign languages

C. cultural diversity

D. differences
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 14 of 20 5.0 Points

Which one of the following statements is an example of the cognitive process called categorization?
A. A child begins to ask "why" about almost everything he or she sees.

B. A child's early discovery that a four-legged creature is a "doggie" transfers later to applying the same label to a horse, cow, and elephant.

C. A child sees someone who dresses differently than most other children and concludes that the other person's way of dressing isn't appropriate.

D. A child learns that being "different" is not desirable.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 15 of 20 5.0 Points

With growing awareness and intake of information, a child may not always be able to put new details into former mental bins or concept groups. When this occurs, a search for __________ is stimulated.
A. coherence

B. rules

C. consonance

D. definition
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 16 of 20 5.0 Points

Research indicates a child's development of prejudice occurs as an interaction effect of:
A. cognitive development and positive ideas about particular groups in the child's social environment.

B. thought processes and rule-development notions about the child's social experiences.

C. cognitive development and negative attitudes toward persons in the immediate milieu.

D. cognitive processes and pro-social patterns that adults model.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 17 of 20 5.0 Points

Children's heightened sensitivity to physical differences in people significantly increases between the ages of __________, a time when attitudes toward race and ethnicity are being formed.
A. 2 and 3

B. 3 and 5

C. 4 and 6

D. 5 and 7
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 18 of 20 5.0 Points

If a seven-year-old is asked, "Who are you?" and his responses are "Jeremy Smith," "an African-American," and "a U.S. citizen," it might be indicative of:
A. hierarchical thinking.

B. a gifted child.

C. a self-selected identity preference.

D. effective training in the home to nurture self-esteem and racial pride.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 19 of 20 5.0 Points

The development of __________ between the ages of 7 and 9 provides a narrow and critical window of opportunity for teachers and parents/guardians to shape a child's attitudes about diversity.
A. apathy

B. perspective

C. sympathy

D. empathy
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 20 of 20 5.0 Points

Racial and ethnic identity is seated by age seven in minority children but awareness of their group's __________ is not fully internalized until the age of 11 or 12.
A. literary and artistic talents

B. social status

C. economic power

D. geo-political status
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?

Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not satisfied because i fail this exam i have to give it again

i am goin to post another quize and mean while i will work on these questions

Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Sorry, I am really surprised that many were incorrect, but several were rather text-specific.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know which ones are correct and which ones are not because it only shows failing or passing grades passing grade is 75 and i received 60
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Again, I am sorry about the results for this quiz. As I have said, some of the question on this test were apparently very text-specific. Read over the chapter in your text and you should be able to determine which answers are incorrect. Good luck!