Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

Question 1 of 20 5.0 Points Last week Pedros father lost

Question 1 of 20 5.0 Points

Last week Pedro's father lost his job. This week, his mother was hospitalized for breast cancer, and the school district rerouted Pedro to a new school because of overcrowding in his former primary school. This scenario fully captures the essence of the __________ theory.
A. reciprocal interaction

B. multi-phenomena exchange

C. ecocultural niche

D. supply and demand
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 2 of 20 5.0 Points

Physical __________ is obviously a universal goal for all families.
A. development

B. fitness

C. survival

D. beauty
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 3 of 20 5.0 Points

Inner city parents often have great fear of not being able to protect their children from the many dangers of their neighborhoods. As a result, they may appear:
A. overprotective.

B. controlling.

C. defeated.

D. Both A and B
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 4 of 20 5.0 Points

Poverty often results in the development of family structures that include extended family members, and sometime close friends. This often results in __________ caregivers.
A. multiple and inconsistent

B. older and more uninvolved

C. fewer and less responsible

D. loving and consistent
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 5 of 20 5.0 Points

Families living in poverty often have a disproportionate amount of __________ which can make parents less responsive and more controlling when it comes to child rearing.
A. sleep

B. violence

C. stress

D. leisure
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 6 of 20 5.0 Points

Families living in the isolation of the inner city often are separated from important institutions and resources and cannot teach their children the __________ necessary for success in the mainstream.
A. trades

B. vocabulary

C. values

D. rules and tools
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 7 of 20 5.0 Points

Threats to one's sense of self and livelihood can result from:
A. favoritism.

B. racism.

C. nepotism.

D. sarcasm.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 8 of 20 5.0 Points

The major challenge of child rearing perceived by African American parents is to prepare their children to cope and survive in a/an __________ society.
A. racist

B. urban

C. industrial

D. unfair
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 9 of 20 5.0 Points

One study found that __________ families were more focused on their role as teachers and nurturers.
A. mainstream

B. Asian

C. religious

D. African American
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 10 of 20 5.0 Points

Sometimes families are hesitant to get help for their child with a disability because their __________ make them believe that the disability is a punishment for their wrong doings, so they feel ashamed to put the child in special programs for "all the world" to see.
A. customs

B. traditions

C. grandparents

D. religious views
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 11 of 20 5.0 Points

Another area that religion often affects is parents' views of:
A. gender roles.

B. self-expression.

C. the arts.

D. the teacher's roles.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 12 of 20 5.0 Points

Which one of the following scenarios best describes a nuclear family?
A. Jeremiah is growing up within a cluster of adults and children who maintain their own living quarters but come together for work and meals. Child-rearing is a shared responsibility.

B. The Farrish family is comprised of ten-year-old Mary Beth and her mother who teaches at Ingleside High School. Since Mary Beth's grandparents live too far away to help, she goes to after-school care until her mother picks her up after work.

C. Following an accident in which her parents were killed, Josefina, age 6, is taken in by her mother's sister and brother-in-law and raised as one of their own children.

D. Adam is a foster child currently living with a family in which there is a father, a stay-at-home mother, and the couple's two children.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 13 of 20 5.0 Points

__________ families view small nuclear families as lacking adequate social support for nurturing and caretaking young children.
A. Religious

B. Mainstream

C. Nonmainstream

D. Foster
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 14 of 20 5.0 Points

In families with collectivist views the roles and ranks of individual family members are ascribed and delineated as a result of their focus on:
A. the importance of the first born child.

B. maintaining order and harmony.

C. future.

D. individualism.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 15 of 20 5.0 Points

Which one of the following descriptors depicts typical child-rearing practices of non-mainstream cultures?
A. Children listen while elders speak; adults rarely talk to children.

B. Children are taught not to defend themselves physically, even if another child is the aggressor.

C. Children are urged to become independent thinkers.

D. Adults strive to increase their child's vocabulary by verbally labeling (naming) objects that the child sees or touches.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 16 of 20 5.0 Points

Since the Hernandez family has experienced discrimination, hardship, and recent bullying in their neighborhood, Mr. Hernandez has enrolled his sons in the YMCA martial arts class. He would consider this action proper on the basis of the need to defend the:
A. dignidad de la familia (the family's self-respect).

B. dignidad de la persona (his sons' personal self-respect).

C. interests of the Hispanic brotherhood.

D. boys as they go through an important rite of passage from childhood to manhood.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 17 of 20 5.0 Points

Many families from non mainstream backgrounds may place relatively greater emphasis on direct instruction and learning through:
A. observation.

B. repetition.

C. imitation.

D. exploration.
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 18 of 20 5.0 Points

__________ of the environment is a learning approach proposed by influential child development theorists. It advocates that adults should be responsive to children and highly interactive with them.
A. Low-context interpretation

B. Interpersonal transformation

C. Multi-dimensional construction

D. Social mediation
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 19 of 20 5.0 Points

The language learning approach of certain non-mainstream cultures seems to require children to __________ the code of human speech.
A. invent

B. embellish

C. break

D. transcend
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?
Question 20 of 20 5.0 Points

In many __________ families, an important teaching strategy is through adult's use of language to exhort and detach appropriate behaviors, and to explain important traditions and principles.
A. Asian

B. African American

C. Latino

D. White
Reset Selection

Mark for Review What's This?

Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)