proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator
Experience:  UCLA graduate. Advanced degrees in English and Education.

I am a High School Science teacher in Texas. I am looking

I am a High School Science teacher in Texas. I am looking for engaging ways to prepare students for the science TAKS test.
Category: Homework
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. Some engaging ways are using the test release questions as well as material from the standards the students are supposed to know and set up a class Jeopardy game with two teams. You can also test students on their knowledge by asking them science related questions but use a spelling bee testing setting. The winner could get a $20 gift card or some other perk. Another engaging strategy would be to divide the class into teams. Have a baseball diamond drawn on the board. A student from a team is asked an easy question...to move one base, a medium question..to move two bases, a hard question...to move three bases, and a super hard question ...for a home run. Missed questions are outs...not strikes. Keep track of the points just like a regular baseball game until a tram reaches maybe 25 points. The hardest part is coming up with the questions or the students can come up with them as well. Students love competitive games...especially if the winning team gets 10 points added to their overall class grade. Just make sure the teams are set up heterogeneously with regards XXXXX XXXXX levels.
Tram was supposed to be TEAM....sorry!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I appreciate your answer to the question.

That's great for the students that know the answers and it may be engaging for 1 class period or 2. This review is for the state test that has questions from biology, chemistry, physics & science methods. I'm trying to get the low kids, that don't know the answers to participate in 2 weeks of activities that will help them to learn the information.

Thanks for your answer. I was hoping someone would have some materials for this Texas test, more than just test questions

Thanks for responding. Just Answer has experts from all over the world but you would have to address your question specifically to a Texas Teacher expert. I am in California. Sorry.

But to help your low students, they need test taking strategy skills more than anything. If they have not learned the info by now, two weeks is not enough time to master the info. You can create fill in the blank and multiple choice questions and still use a team competition setting. You will need to provide outlines of pertinent material. Have them create questions right from the outlines to ask each other in class. If you are techno savvy, create something on the computer. Your main goal with the low students is to keep them motivated.

:)
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
proexpert37, Educator
Experience: UCLA graduate. Advanced degrees in English and Education.