DXJAnswerMagic
DXJAnswerMagic, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  MALS, BA with honors in 3 majors and 2 minors, assisted K-12, Undergrad and Grad students
50366526

Compare and contrast Daoism (Taoism), Legalism, and Confucianism.

Compare and contrast Daoism (Taoism), Legalism, and Confucianism. What did each system stress as most important? In what ways did they speak to the people? Which had the most impact on the development of society? Why?

Due 4-5-12 before midnight
Category: Homework
Expert:  DXJAnswerMagic replied 4 years ago.

DXJAnswerMagic :

Hi! I'd like to help but need a little mroe information. Could you please tell me how long these responses should be?

DXJAnswerMagic :

Do they need sources? Is there a specific textbook?

DXJAnswerMagic :

I'd really appreciate it! DXJ

Customer:

300 words yes apa format there is a book but its not a online book so what ever u can find is great.

DXJAnswerMagic :

Which book? (I might have it:-)

Customer:

traditions and encounters a brief global history

DXJAnswerMagic :

ah, I don't have that one but have several others. I can help!

Customer:

thank you so much

DXJAnswerMagic :

You're welcome!

Customer:

are you gonna work on the question as well

DXJAnswerMagic :

Yes, I can help with both!

Customer:

ok

DXJAnswerMagic :

:-)

DXJAnswerMagic :

Will get this one to you later today. DXJ

Customer: Cool
DXJAnswerMagic :

:-)

Customer: Do you think you can paste it in here cause I have to work and I don't get off till midnight that way I can copy and paste from my phone?
DXJAnswerMagic :

OK. I can do that and send you a link, too. Does that work?

Customer: I don't think I will be able tO open the link from my phone
DXJAnswerMagic :

ok, I can paste that here.

DXJAnswerMagic :

Hi!

DXJAnswerMagic :

Your answers are here:

DXJAnswerMagic :

Legalism, Confucianism and Daoism have informed Chinese history in various ways. Legalism, first invoked around Fourth Century B.C.E., was focused on maintaining law and order (Wheeler, 2012). In the formulation used by Ch’in, legalism was totalitarian in nature and engaged to enforce and encourage the unity of China. Whenever China fell into disharmony, legalism was elevated by the unifying ruler. This is evidenced under the rulers of the Sui dynasty (Murphey, 2009, p. 516-518). Tempered with Confucianism, the codification of principles ordering relationships between and among people, elevating deference, benevolence and self-cultivation, the Sui Dynasty was short-lived (p. 519) However, Confucian influences, the application of such toward learning, toward improvement for the benefits of society and the resultant Civil Service Exam based upon these principles, has continued to infuse Chinese society and culture through present day.

Daoism, like Confucianism arose within the third or fourth century B.C.E. However, Lao-tzu used the Taoist philosophy to appeal to rulers in China in 2500 B.C.E. approximately. Purporting the Taoist tenets, the laws of nature, of the paths of least resistance, and the applications of such within all facets of life, rulers adopted some of the principles and subsequently blended them with Confucianism and Buddhism (Fairbanks & Reischauer, p. 103-105). Yet, this type of syncretic recombination occurs throughout Chinese history and culture. Not surprisingly then, the Dao de Jing, the Book of Changes, Taoist in nature is still consulted. Chinese medicine draws upon Daoism, Buddhism and Confucianism and Chinese leaders recombined the aforementioned philosophies in congruence with societal needs.

For these reasons, legalism, Confucianism and Daoism continue to inform government and society. While legalism reinforces the social order Confucianism supports, Daoism alternately informs the social adaptations and the ways Chinese people live within the moment. They do not choose the path of most resistance. Rather, Chinese society values harmony, the collective, full participation and the cultural concepts perpetuated across generations. As exemplified by the national holidays such as Qing Ming festival, the day everyone visits graves and reveres their ancestors, Confucianism is important.

References

Fairbank, J. K., & Reischauer, E. O. (1989). China: Tradition & transformation. Sydney: Allen &

Unwin.

Murphey, W. R. (2009). A history of Asia. New York [etc.: Pearson/Longman.

Wheeler, K. (2012). Legalism and Chinese philosophy. Retrieved from http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/chinese_legalism.html

DXJAnswerMagic :

Hope this helps!

DXJAnswerMagic :

Best to you! DXJ

DXJAnswerMagic :

Please let me know if you have any problems retrieving this! DXJ