Homework Girl
Homework Girl, Graduate Student
Experience:  10+ years of tutoring, BS in Biology and English, Current Chicago Examiner and Writer
27647536

Writing Assignment - Due March 18, 2012

After reading the article entitled “Leadership and Human Behavior,” it should be clear to you that first impressions affect our behavior. Read the two brief stories found on First Impressions. Based on the information presented in this module, write a 3-4 page essay in APA format that addresses the following questions: 1.How do first impressions strike us? 2.How did you picture John after reading the first scenario, and then the second? 3.Can you visualize him differently by rereading the scenario in reverse order? Link: http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/leadhb.html Link: http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/impress.html
Category: Homework
Expert:  Homework Girl replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Do you still need this assignment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, please. It is due tomorrow and I am working atthe airport on the road for work. The paper is due tomorrow. Can you assist? It must be in APA Formatt and be 3 to 4 pages long double space 12 point font.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to assist?
Yes, is there a time you need it by tomorrow?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As soon as possible. Perferrably no later than the middle of the day. That way I can make any adjustments needed. Thank you again.

I will start on it and get back to you. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just double cheking. Are you still working on this assignment? I shoul dbe home soon and will be able to upload it. It is due tonight.

Still working on it. Running a little behind but you should get it tonight. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Perfect. I was just double checking. Thank you again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have to turn in the assignment in two hours. Is it possible to have it within the hour?
Probably 30 minutes. If you don't want it anymore, please let me know so I can stop and opt out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No its ok I will wait. No problem.
1.How do first impressions strike us? 2.How did you picture John after reading the first scenario, and then the second? 3.Can you visualize him differently by rereading the scenario in reverse order?
First impressions are an intrinsic element of how we engage with people. First appearances allow us to form opinions about how someone will respond or be an aspect of our lives in the future. Physical elements that are aspects of this include clothes, personal hygiene and style that become ingrained in our memory as how we imagine someone. Non-physical elements include conversational cues, erratic behavior or even just social taboos such as answering a phone in the middle of a conversation, especially in a short meeting or with limited contact. First impressions strike consciously and unconsciously and form lasting opinions. As a result, first impressions are extremely important in a business setting as how a leader will guide a team in the future.
After the first reading, John is pictured as a career-oriented, optimistic, young and social employee. This is characterized by the beginning of the entry, where he has to leave the office and hurry back. This forms the initial characterization of someone who is goal-oriented and is willing to take the extra mile for his job. The positivity or optimism is set by the tone of the story which shows a sun soaked streets as well as John’s casual jaunt. He also seems extremely social at the same time as shown by the conversations he has with the other people on his journey. This is shown by the conversation with the acquaintance and his meeting with his friend who walked in the store (“First impressions,” 2010). John also seems social and younger due to his meeting with the girl his friend introduced him to the night before. The semantics of the entry- for example, using “girl” instead of “woman” implies that John is younger and possibly single, with the ability to have a night on a work week.
At the same time, there are also negative connotations to the first entry. The way John’s journey was characterized shows that he took a long time from work to make his purchase, preferring to interact socially instead of hurrying back to his other priorities. It also implies that John’s career is not his first priority, instead choosing his friends and his social life instead of heading back to his office. This is also shown by the wording used to describe “time” in his interactions. For example, when he talked to the girl from the night before, he talked to her for a “short while” instead of “briefly” or “hurriedly” (“First impressions,” 2010).
In the second entry, the first impression of John is that he is merely tired, in a gloomy environment after a long, arduous and very busy day at work. Because the first setting has already established John as a social entity, the second setting only adds to the impression that John is social by nature but is facing depressing circumstances or exhaustion that is not permitting him to talk to anyone. Normally, John would be talking to everyone at the bar but the second entry seems like an exception or anomaly where something in between his errands and work and the end of the day shifted John’s attitude.
In the second entry, John has the impression of someone who is depressed, gloomy or unwilling to interact with others with a bad career or overall loneliness. As an introvert, it seems as though John has the opportunities to talk to the girl he met last night but it is implied that he does not. This is also seen in the crowded bar, where John only knows a few familiar faces. An extrovert would have talked to everyone at the bar including the girl. However, because of the initial impression of John walking down the shady side of the street, the reader assumes that John does not talk to anyone else, even though John could have talked to the girl but was not added into the story. This is furthered by the other descriptive aspects of the entry where John is described as “quiet” and choosing to sit in a side table instead of amidst the crowd. The end of the entry shows John finishing his drink and instead of making any attempt to engage in the revelry, chooses to go home (“First impressions,” 2010). This shows that even in exciting environments, John is emotionally distant from everyone else and prefers to live his life alone. I think further impressions are that XXXXX XXXXXves alone, is less career-oriented and may not have too many friends.
Reading the second entry afterwards, John is still characterized by his loneliness. His interactions with people seem less meaningful and more casual than a real aspect of his personality. He has a few acquaintances at the store and talks to his friend but it seems as though those are very short and casual conversations that John subconsciously undergoes during the day. His friends do not seem like real friends or constant companions because of his status in the first entry, surrounded by people but not talking to them. His connection with the girl he met previously seems like a meaningless conversation that will not lead to any future companionship because of his desire to be alone.
In conclusion, first impressions are a core of how we define someone’s future interactions. From John’s two entries, John’s impression as an extrovert leads to positive connotations for his life despite a second suggestion of the opposite. John’s impression as an introvert, in a gloomy environment and largely alone, remains equally negative despite attempts to present him in a different light afterwards. As a result, John needs to develop a great impression for others in the first meeting in order to generate future rapport.

References
First impressions. (2010, August 18). Retrieved from http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/impress.html
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Homework Girl, Graduate Student
Experience: 10+ years of tutoring, BS in Biology and English, Current Chicago Examiner and Writer