Chris12
Chris12, Teacher
Experience:  Resource Center Assistant, Researcher, Tutor
32242116

judybailey61

I was wondering if you would like to help with this. I would need it by Sunday. Consumption and Mass Media Worksheet 1. Respond to all questions with academic paragraphs of at least 50 words. State your point of view and explain it thoroughly. • What is conspicuous consumption? How does conspicuous consumption influence purchasing decisions? Think about a high-priced item that you have bought or would like to buy. To what extent does conspicuous consumption affect your decision? • What is conspicuous leisure? Examples of conspicuous leisure are abundant on television. In what ways are leisure activities informed by social and economic class? Provide an example of a popular leisure activity. What assumptions can you make about the participants of the activity? • Define the term globalization. What effect does globalization have on popular culture? Provide an example of how American popular culture has influenced other countries, or how the United States has imported popular culture from other countries. 2. Choose an advertisement. Analyze the ad for its media message. Answer the following questions based on that ad. • Who created the media message? Why? • Who is the intended audience? What do you know about the intended audience—age, race, ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic background, hobbies, profession? • What type of lifestyle is presented? Is it realistic? Why or why not? • What is the text, written or in another form, of the message? What do you see and hear: written or spoken words, photos, drawings, logos, design, music, sounds, and so on? • What is the hidden text? What is unstated or implied in the message? • What values are expressed? • What groups of people are empowered in this message? What groups are disempowered? How so? • What part of the story is not being told? How and where could you get more information about the untold stories? • Can these messages affect how you think and feel? Why or why not? Provide examples. • Can these messages affect your behavior? Why or why not? Provide examples. • Can the messages affect the cultural values in society in general? Why or why not? Provide examples.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.

Chris12 :

What time on Sunday do you need the assignment? Are refs included if so how many? Is there additional information needed to complete?

Customer:

No that is it on the information. IF you could add your reference, that would be good. I would need by 4 in the afternoon mountain standard time.

Chris12 :

Okay, I'm on it.

Customer: Thanks.
Chris12 :

You're weclome, here's the assignment. If you need help again please let me know.

Chris12 :

Consumption and Mass Media Worksheet 1. Respond to all questions with academic paragraphs of at least 50 words. State your point of view and explain it thoroughly.

• What is conspicuous consumption? How does conspicuous consumption influence purchasing decisions? Think about a high-priced item that you have bought or would like to buy. To what extent does conspicuous consumption affect your decision?

In 1899 Thorstein Veblen, an American sociologist wrote The Theory of the Leisure Class. This book was the first time the term conspicuous consumption was identified and defined. The upper class at the time was known as the nouveau riche or new rich. These individuals were not born into money and so they were not as respected as the “old money” generation. In order to gain a higher status in the rich world they would purchase extravagant items and spend heavily on things they didn’t even need (WiseGeek 2012).

In today’s society this concept still holds true and it has become stronger than ever. “Old money” and the new rich are no longer in competition with each other. The new players in the game are the upper and middle class. Conspicuous consumption is now known as “keeping up with the Joneses”. People living in suburbia duel each other by purchasing homes, cars, jewelry, entertainment systems, country club memberships, anything that makes them look wealthier and more prestigious than they really are.

I am an individual who functions on a logical level. When shopping I always associate the price of the item with the functionality of the item to determine if I will buy it. When shopping in the grocery store my goal is to look for sales. If I see an item that I want that is not on sale depending on my current budget I might buy it. This would be considered a special treat for me. In terms of trying to keep up with other people that doesn’t concern me because it’s not beneficial to my life.

• What is conspicuous leisure? Examples of conspicuous leisure are abundant on television. In what ways are leisure activities informed by social and economic class? Provide an example of a popular leisure activity. What assumptions can you make about the participants of the activity?

Every American knows and greatly enjoys leisure time, freedom from work or obligations. Weekends and holidays are often the highlight in this respect. Conspicuous leisure is associated with wealthy individuals and is defined as excessive enjoyable activities or situations. This new trend is actually bumping conspicuous consumption from its pedestal. Wealthy individuals are becoming more interested in exotic vacations and the freedom to work from home (Kime 2010).

For the most part conspicuous leisure activities are publically known but are not publically accessible. Whenever the term exclusive is used concerning a resort, cruise or vacation offer it’s clear that only a select few individuals are invited or will be able to afford it.

Chris12 :

These individuals fit into the rich social class and billionaire to five figure income range. The upper middle class may be able to fit in depending on the price.

Individuals that frequent exclusive resorts are “old money”, business owners, high ranking investors and the children of those who have upper level incomes like millionaires. Individuals who don’t fit into this category are known as the “entourage”. These are groupies of the rich and wealthy that has somehow gotten in good with at least one family member or friend of the family.

• Define the term globalization. What effect does globalization have on popular culture? Provide an example of how American popular culture has influenced other countries, or how the United States has imported popular culture from other countries.

Globalization can be defined as the connected state of every human being on the planet. These connections cross the boundaries of countries, nations, states, and cities. These connections affect the business dealings of individuals around the world, providing products and services that may have been difficult to create or obtain previously. Being connected with other countries provides a larger worldview (The American Dream 2012). The United States is able to observe trends that are “hot” in other countries and then apply those trends within to our nation. The goal would be to stay in the mainstream with the world and also to attract customers from other nations.

Drag racing in America is like apple pie, a symbol of something that was born in our nation. Japan has a similar trademark known as drifting. Through such movies as Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift, Americans got a taste of this Japanese past time and it caught on (Driftingstreet).

2. Choose an advertisement. Analyze the ad for its media message. Answer the following questions based on that ad.

• Who created the media message? Why?

The message was created by Allstate one of the nation’s leading car insurance companies. The advertisement depicted a man lying on top of a snow covered garage, the man represents mayhem. Eventually, he causes additional snow to fall which collapses the roof and then damages the car inside. The purpose was to encourage coverage through Allstate concerning different situations that could damage you’re vehicle (Allthingslawandorder 2011).

• Who is the intended audience? What do you know about the intended audience—age, race, ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic background, hobbies, profession?

The intended audience is anyone in the United States who lives in a snowy area or an area that receives snow (heavy, medium, light) and owns a vehicle. In 2008 Auto Spies conducted a survey which revealed that Americans own 2.28 vehicles per households (Autospies

Chris12 :

2008). These individuals must fall within the accepted age limits for driving, race and ethnicity plus gender cannot be determined at this time. Socioeconomic background determines the ability to own a car and then provide insurance for it. Profession ties into the ability to purchase a vehicle and provide insurance however this determines the types of vehicles. Lastly, hobbies are not known but any hobby could apply.

• What type of lifestyle is presented? Is it realistic? Why or why not?

The lifestyle within the ad represents a fairly large and nice house. The type of neighborhood implied is gated community perhaps a suburb. The individuals living in the house could be either upper or middle class. The entire situation was very believable, however, in our current economic state I would lean towards upper class.

• What is the text, written or in another form, of the message? What do you see and hear: written or spoken words, photos, drawings, logos, design, music, sounds, and so on?

The only text in the message is Allstate. It is a clear reminder that they are there to help through the terrible situation. The man on the roof (mayhem) makes a comparison between a heavy person and heavy snow. Both will have the same result eventually breaking out and causing problems. You can literally hear the creaking of the wood indicating the snow’s weight could make it collapse at any time.

• What is the hidden text? What is unstated or implied in the message?

There didn’t appear to be any hidden text within the ad. The implied message is that anyone who has insurance other than Allstate would be paying for the damages out of pocket. Mayhem even went so far as to describe the other insurance as cut rate instead of discounted or barging. This gives the viewer the impression that their insurance may be so cheap that quality in certain areas has been removed.

• What values are expressed?

The first value is that people car about the things that they own. When you care you take every precaution to provide safety and security. It is in the best interest of the viewer to consider Allstate even if he or she does not switch to them. The second value is people like to save money. In these rough economic times it’s important to save as much money as possible without sacrificing quality.

• What groups of people are empowered in this message? What groups are disempowered? How so?

Earlier it was stated that this media message was directed to people who own vehicles and live in snowy or potentially snowy areas. This group is further divided by those who can afford car insurance and those who can’t. Those who can afford car insurance could change their

Chris12 :

insurance to Allstate if the rate is better thereby becoming empowered. However, there are individuals who can’t afford to change their policy or can’t afford insurance at all. Therefore these individuals are disempowered.

• What part of the story is not being told? How and where could you get more information about the untold stories?

The first untold story is the age of the garage. A newer garage would not have given way so easily even with heavier snow. The second untold story is the type of insurance the owner possesses. We don’t know if the insurance will cover all or only some of the damage. Mayhem used the word may not will when describing the possibility of paying for the damages out of pocket. At this point there isn’t enough evidence to dig through to get the untold stories in this respect.

• Can these messages affect how you think and feel? Why or why not? Provide examples.

The purpose of ads is to make the viewers change their minds about a product or service. They are also used to reinforce the beliefs about a product or service. In this particular case the ad makes current insurance owners nervous that they may not have adequate coverage. Again this may apply only to those with insurance that is not considered mainstream like State Farm or Progressive.

• Can these messages affect your behavior? Why or why not? Provide examples.

The recession has caused not only Americans but individuals in other countries to consider the way they do business. In other ways people are considering more and more about the ways to spend money and still save at the same time. People on fixed incomes would definitely change their car insurance if they can save money.

• Can the messages affect the cultural values in society in general? Why or why not? Provide examples.

Cultural values are rooted concepts that guide the behavior and though patterns of the individuals who are a part of it. African Americans and Hispanics culturally are very devoted to their families. Vehicles are a necessity to get from point A to point B and having the best possible insurance would influence their buying decisions. This type of ad might reinforce the fact that family does not have a price tag and deserves to be protected with your best (Muir, Schwartz & Szapoczik 2006).

Chris12 :

References

Allthingslawandorder. (2011 Janurary 28). Allstate Dean Winters Mayhem Snow Commercial. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlmx2HYENB4

The American Dream. (2012). What Is Globalization? Retrieved from http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/what-is-globalization

Autospies. (2008 February 12). Study Finds Americans Own 2.28 Vehicles Per Household. Retrieved from http://www.autospies.com/news/Study-Finds-Americans-Own-2-28-Vehicles-Per-Household-26437/

Driftingstreet. Car Drifting Explained. Retrieved from http://www.driftingstreet.com/car-drifting-explained.html

Kime, S. (2010 November 18). Conspicuous Leisure: A New Luxury Travel Trend? Retrieved from http://www.luxist.com/2010/11/18/conspicuous-leisure-a-new-travel-trend/

Muir, J.A., Schwartz, S.J. and Szapocznik, J. (2006 June 20). A Program Of Research With Hispanic and African American Familes: Three Decades Of Intervention Development And Testing Influenced By The Changing Cultural Context of Miami. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1480363/

WiseGeek. (2012). What is Conspicuous Consumption? Retrieved from http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-conspicuous-consumption.htm

Chris12, Teacher
Experience: Resource Center Assistant, Researcher, Tutor