Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

Question 1 1. Global Clothing Corporation, like other

Question 1
1.
Global Clothing Corporation, like other businesses today, has enforceable duties prescribed by
Answer

Ethics only

The law

Ethics and the law

Social responsibility.
0.5 points
Question 2
1.
The term "corporate governance" has what analytical components:
Answer

Ethical

Stakeholder analysis

All of the above.
0.5 points
Question 3
1.
Which of the following is true about modern business corporations?
Answer

The current societal expectation is that a corporation should just make money legally and not worry about the local community or society or ethics.

Since the corporation is not a real person it can never be judged from an ethical point of view.

The corporate vice-president of ethics has the power to veto what he or she considers as immoral corporate actions, but the veto according to the SEC can be overridden by a two-thirds vote of the board of directors.

None of the above.
0.5 points
Question 4
1.
Which of the following is a correct statement?
Answer

The legal law ultimately rests on coercion and force, whereas ethics relies on persuasion and social sanctions to enforce moral rules.

Inductive reasoning involves reasoning from general principles or definitions.

Socrates thought that obtaining knowledge was impossible and thus the search for knowledge was a waste of time and effort.

An ethics based on one's conscience or religion is a very scientific form of ethics since appeals to one's conscience or intuition as a moral guide are objective and impersonal and not subject to rationalization.
0.5 points
Question 5
1.
Which of the following corporate governance reform strategies, if adopted, would be MOST LIKELY to decrease the amount of immoral and "irresponsible" corporate behavior?
Answer

Requiring the study of business ethics in business schools and corporate training

Increasing the amount of legal regulation of business and imposing stronger penalties for violations

Increasing executives' power to determine their fellow executives' compensation packages

Reducing the amount of government regulation of business since market forces invariably will operate to deter corporate misconduct.
0.5 points
Question 6
1.
Which of the following questions should be answered first in the process of ethical decision-making in business?
Answer

Is the action profitable?

Is the action moral?

Is the action a socially responsible one?

Is the action good public relations?
0.5 points
Question 7
1.
Regarding the values of legality, morality, and social responsibility, which of the following is/are TRUE:
Answer

a. One can be sued for acting illegally.

b. One cannot be sued for "merely" acting immorally unless some law is also violated.

c. One cannot be sued for "merely" being socially irresponsible or non-responsive unless some law is also violated.

d. All of the above are true.
0.5 points
Question 8
1.
Which of the following statements is most accurate regarding the relationship of law and ethics?
Answer

The legal requirement will almost always be the same as the ethical requirement because the law is equivalent to the ethical standards.

In some cases ethics will require a higher standard of conduct than the law, but never the opposite.

In some cases the law will require a higher standard of conduct than ethics, but never the opposite.

Depending on the circumstances, the law can require a higher, lower, or the same standard of conduct as ethics demands.
0.5 points
Question 9
1.
Big U.S. sneaker and clothing manufacture complies with all local laws in its facilities in Thailand. These facilities, however, are condemned by U.S. labor organizations as exploitative "sweatshops" since the Thai laws are very minimal. The Thai workers are used to these conditions, though, and are grateful for a job - any job. This U.S. manufacturer is likely acting:
Answer

Legally in the host country.

Morally in the host county based on ethical egoism and ethical relativism.

Immorally in the host country pursuant to Kantian ethics.

All of the above.
0.5 points
Question 10
1.
Which of the following is a FALSE statement?
Answer

a. A Utilitarian analysis could morally support the closing of a plant in the U.S. and the outsourcing of the jobs to India if the good consequences resulting from the closure and outsourcing outweighed the harms to the U.S. employees and local community.

b. Kant would not be concerned with a company doing anything for downsized, displaced, and dislocated U.S. workers as a result of a plant closure and downsizing and outsourcing of their jobs overseas since everyone knows that "things are tough" in a global economy.

c. Pollution not only has a legal dimension but also a moral one due to the effects of pollution on the environment, human beings, and other sentient creatures.

d. A Utilitarian would be likely to approve the pollut
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)