proexpert37, Educator
Experience:  UCLA graduate. Advanced degrees in English and Education.

iI have a son who is in the first grade. He is doing well in

iI have a son who is in the first grade. He is doing well in all subjects except reading. If we can not get him caught up they want keep him in first grade. We want to know of the best way for us to help him at home. He knows his sounds but is afraid to put them together in fear of being wrong, when he tries he is usually right. We try to encourage him and tell him how good he is doing when he tries, but he still lacks the confedance or mabe the intrest to keep trying. Even if we tell him a word in one sentence he will hesitate on the same word in the next. What do you recomend we do?
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. Can your son read sight words? Can he read CVC words like bat, sun, led, etc.? What has the teacher already mentioned to you? Can he produce 2 words that rhyme? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

dose okay with sight words the teacher said that by the end of the first grade he needs to be reading at a level I and he is still on the end of E begining of F he still has to sound out CVC words witch the teacher is concerend with right now she just put him on a computer program that teaches sneaky e and thing like that. he can rhyme words well although he is in a speach program at school two days a week since the middle of pre k

Has he had a hearing and vision test lately? Just trying to rule out things. :). What is his area of speech difficulty? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he passed hearing and wears glasses for a lazy eye has a hard time with WH sounds.

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
I taught first grade for many years and now teach kindergarten. Please keep me posted on your son's progress. I would love to further assist you! Take care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you very much for all your help he loves the site you gave us and shows interest already we will let you know how it turns out
Glad to assist! Keep me posted. ;)