Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

2Which of the following is a false statement?A person

Customer Question

2

Which of the following is a false statement?

A person who does not know of a reward offer can never claim it since how can one accept what one does not know of.

For common law consideration to be legally sufficient, it does not necessarily have to consist of the payment of money or transfer of goods.

A promise by one party to pay another for refraining from performing a legal act is generally enforceable under the common law.

Normally, a court in the U.S. applying the common law of contract will be able to question the adequacy of consideration to see if the contract is a fair one.

4

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 in the U.S. does not expressly prohibit job discrimination based on educational standards.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 in the U.S. does not expressly prohibit job discrimination based on sexual preference or orientation.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission can sue in federal court on behalf of a victim of discrimination.

Under current U.S. law, corporate employers cannot advertise for positions in minority or women’s business journals since that would be “reverse discrimination.”

13

To exercise the power of acceptance, the common law requires an offeree to accept the offeror’s offer unconditionally and unequivocally.

The death of a party to a contract will always result in the automatic termination of that contract since it would not be right to burden the surviving spouse or other heirs with business matters.

The common law “mirror image” rule generally requires an acceptance of an offer to adhere exactly to the terms of the offer.

A counteroffer under the common law does terminate an offer.

15

Which of the following is the most accurate statement?

A business plan or strategy cannot be the basis for a trade secret under U.S. law since such information is too “soft.”

Theft of confidential information by industrial espionage can be construed as the theft of a trade secret and be a very serious federal crime in the United States.

Doing substantial business in a jurisdiction over the Internet is never enough to support jurisdiction over a non-resident defendant since the connection is too virtual.

There are no statutes regulating the use of spam since it is speech which is absolutely protected by the U.S. Constitution.

17

Which of the following statements is false?

Notice-and-comment rulemaking is the most common rulemaking procedure used by administrative agencies in the United States to make law.

Tort law provides legal remedies for both personal injury and property damage.

To commit an intentional tort, a person must intend the consequences of his or her act or know with substantial certainty that certain consequences will occur.

To commit an intentional tort, a person always must act with an evil motive to commit physical harm.

19

The best statement of the test applied in determining if a defendant was the proximate cause of the plaintiff’s injuries is:

Was it foreseeable to the plaintiff that the defendant would engage in this particular conduct?

Given this particular injury to the plaintiff, was it foreseeable that the defendant was the cause?

Was it reasonably foreseeable to the defendant that the defendant’s conduct could lead to this kind of injury?

Was the injury foreseeable to the plaintiff prior to the injury’s occurrence?

20

Bio Box Company advertises and markets so effectively that Product Packaging, Inc., stops doing business with Styro Cartons, Incorporated, and switches its account to Bio. Bio is liable for

appropriation.

conversion.

wrongful interference with a business relationship.

none of the above.

27

Dina is a partner in Eagle Technical Group. Dina’s dissociation from the partnership likely will cause

the automatic termination of the firm’s legal existence.

the immediate maturity of all partnership debts.

the dissolution of the partnership and the partnership’s buyout of Dina’s interest in the firm.

the temporary suspension of all partnership business.

5

Carl continuing trespasses on Lisa's land by cutting across her property as a "short-cut" to the bus stop. Lisa asks Carl to stop doing this but Carl refuses saying he is really doing no damage or harm to the property by merely walking across it. Lisa's best legal remedy would be to seek what legal redress against Carl?

A degree of specific performance.

A lawsuit for money damages

An injunction

A quasi-contract.

9

Viola works for a small company. She is an employee at-will. She is discharged to make room for the owner's "niece," who is really his paramour. Viola most likely has been treated:

Legally under the employment at-will doctrine but likely immorally
Legally but only if she is given reasonable notice and a severance package.
Illegally since preferring one's paramour is clearly sexual harassment.
Illegally since all office roman
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for the question.

2. Normally, a court in the U.S. applying the common law of contract will be able to question the adequacy of consideration to see if the contract is a fair one.

4. Under current U.S. law, corporate employers cannot advertise for positions in minority or women's business journals since that would be "reverse discrimination."

13. The death of a party to a contract will always result in the automatic termination of that contract since it would not be right to burden the surviving spouse or other heirs with business matters.

15. Theft of confidential information by industrial espionage can be construed as the theft of a trade secret and be a very serious federal crime in the United States.

17. To commit an intentional tort, a person always must act with an evil motive to commit physical harm.

19. Was it reasonably foreseeable to the defendant that the defendant's conduct could lead to this kind of injury?

20. none of the above.

27. the dissolution of the partnership and the partnership's buyout of Dina's interest in the firm.

5. An injunction

9. Legally under the employment at-will doctrine but likely immorally

Hope this helps!

Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Perfect. Thank you.

I posted one more set of questions but no one has answered, can you help?

10

Mohammed is a cashier at the check-out line at a big-box retail store. He is a Moslem and very religious. He is a very good employee, but he refuses to check out people who have liquor in their basket or pork products, such as frozen pepperoni pizza. He also refuses to touch them. These products violate his religious beliefs. He thus has to ask a supervisor or another cashier employee to come on over and "ring up" and bag those items. Once he even asked a customer to ring up her own products. This situation is beginning to inconvenience the employer and its customers. The employer consequently tells Mohammed that he must transfer to a junior book-keeping position, though with comparable salary and benefits, or else be discharged. Mohammed refuses, is discharged, and sues for religious discrimination. The likely result of such a lawsuit will be:

Mohammed will prevail since this is clearly religious discrimination.

Mohammed will prevail since making him a mere "clerk" is not a reasonable accommodation on the part of the employer in these circumstances.

The employer will prevail if it can convince the court that its accommodation to Mohammed was a reasonable one.

The employer will prevail regardless since it has no duty to accommodate the religious practices of its Moslem employees after the terrorist attacks of 9/11.

11

Jack, an older worker who was laid-off from his job due to economic reasons, applies for a new position with Y Corporation, He is rejected for employment. The reason given is that he is "over-qualified." The position remains open and another younger candidate is chosen. Jack sues for discrimination based on age in violation of the ADEA. Which is an accurate statement regarding Jack's lawsuit?

Jack must be over 40 to bring a lawsuit.

Jack will prevail if he can convince the court that the use of the words "over-qualified" was a "code word" showing a discriminatory intent.

Jack will lose if the company can convince the court that having a young person in the position was a BFOQ.

All are accurate.

12

Mountain Boots, Inc., and National Shoe Company orally agree to a sale of 100 pair of hiking boots for $5,000. National gives Mountain a check for $500 as a down payment. At this point, the contract is

enforceable to at least the extent of $500.

fully enforceable because it is for specially made goods.

fully enforceable because it is oral.

unenforceable.

13

X, Y, and Z fast-food burger chains have a secret meeting in Captain Tony's Bar in Key West where they all agree to divide up the Keys into three geographic territories - upper, middle, lower including Key West - each to receive an exclusive territory, and where they also promise not to compete with each other in their respective territories. This agreement is:

Legal if they can demonstrate that it is good for the consumer since the companies will now be able to compete more effectively against other fast-food businesses, especially Subway, which now has surpassed McDonald's in the number of worldwide outlets, and KFC.

Legal as long as the territorial division is a fair one and there was no fraud or mistake present in the transaction.

Illegal pursuant to the Per Se doctrine of anti-trust law.

Legal pursuant to the Rule of Reason doctrine of anti-trust law.

14

Rowan, a basketball star, signs a two year contract to play basketball for the Bullets for $200,000 per game. Right before a "big game," Rowan goes to the owner of the team and says that he will not play at all unless the owner pays him and additional $10,000 per game. The owner, being desperate, reluctantly agrees and promises to pay Rowan more. Now that the season is over, Rowan demands his additional compensation of $10,000 per game; but the owner of the Bullets refuses to pay. Rowan sues the owner for breach of contract. The most likely result of the lawsuit is that:

Rowan wins since this is a valid modification of a pre-existing earlier contract.

Owner wins since a contract can never be modified whatsoever, even if the parties agree to the modification.

Rowan wins since this is a valid modification of a contract pursuant to the Uniform Commercial Code, which needs no new consideration to be enforceable.

Owner wins since Rowan was under a prior duty to play basketball, so the owner's new promise to pay more money for the same act was not detriment on Rowan's part, and consequently was not supported by consideration on Rowan's part, and thus the owner's promise is not enforceable.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

Please "accept" the previous answer and I'll work on these questions.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do. This is the first time I use this site so I am not sure how everything works.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually someone just answered. Thank you anyways and I will save you as an expert.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the "accept." Glad that received answers to your other questions!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. Which of the following is NOT an accurate statement about the Utilitarian ethical theory?

It determines the moral worth of an action based on what a society believes is morally right

It may allow the personal interests of individuals to be sacrificed in that the collective good be attained

It is usually regarded as a consequentialist ethical theory

It determines the moral worth of an action by whether the action achieves the greatest overall balance of satisfaction over dissatisfaction.

2. Which of the following is the most accurate statement?

Immanuel Kant would support the Golden Rule of religion (“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”).

Ethical relativism has been widely adopted as an ethical theory because of its universal moral norms and strict guidelines.

A corporation that moves jobs overseas to take advantage of lower pay scales is usually adhering to a broad stakeholder theory of social responsibility.

Social audits are now the legally mandated norm in the corporate world.

3. Which of the following statements is NOT accurate?

Psychological egoism is an ethical and normative theory that
prescribes how people should behave in certain situations.

An ethical egoist thinks primarily of what will benefit his or her self-interest in the long-run.

Public good and the general welfare are based on people fulfilling their selfish interests, according to one defense of the doctrine of ethical egoism.

“Justice is the will of the stronger” would be a characteristic Sophist statement.

4. Rights-based ethical theories:

Are generally classified as modern versions of Utilitarianism

Determine the moral worth of an action regardless of their consequences

Are largely consequentialist in nature

Classify corporate social responsibility among the positive rights that must be enforced by government

5. Ingrid firmly believes that each person must look at her own feelings of what is right and wrong in order to decide what is moral.
Which of the following ethical theories most accurately describes Ingrid’s beliefs?

Utilitarianism

Ethical Emotism

Social Justice

Ethical Relativism

6. Pursuant to traditional philosophical analysis which of the following statements is/are true?

Morals and morality are different from ethics.

Intrinsic values are different from instrumental values.

Cultural relativism is different from ethical relativism.

All of the above.

7. A major criticism of Utilitarianism is that:

It is an egalitarian doctrine.

It has a stakeholder analytical component.

Decisions require the measurement of quantities and qualities that are not subject to precise measurement.

Decisions are not allowed to take into account an individual’s station or place in society.

8. Maria works in the public relations department of National Sales Company. Her job includes portraying National's activities in their "best light." In this context, ethical egoism can be described as

Actions that produce a favorable financial outcome

Whatever saves National's "face"

A Machiavellian mind-set

All of the above.

17. A conservative interpretation and definition of corporate "social responsibility" would typically reflect the view that:

Corporate social responsibility should be mandated and closely regulated by global organizations, such as the United Nations.

There is insufficient government regulation in the U.S. in place to deal with corporate socially responsible decision-making.

Social responsibility decisions in business should be decided according to philosophical Natural Law and Natural rights ethical principles.

It could in the long-term, self-interest of business to "get involved" in the community in a prudent manner.

18. Which is a FALSE statement about social responsibility?

Social responsibility is a "real-world" concern for modern business managers; it is not merely an "academic" issue.

Social responsibility and ethical egoism are mutually exclusive and contradictory values.

A challenge for business today is to ascertain the exact nature and proper degree of social responsibility.

Social responsibility activities and contributions are mandated legally for large multinational global corporations by the World Bank and the United Nations.

19. Social responsibility is best described as a company being:

Saintly in the moral sense

Helpful in a prudent manner in the community

Lawful only

Altruistic to all stakeholders.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

HelloCustomer

When is your deadline for this quiz?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tomorrow.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I'll have these to you by tomorrow (03/10).
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

Here are the answers for comparison with your own. Let me know if you have any questions.

1.It determines the moral worth of an action based on what a society believes is morally right
2. Immanuel Kant would support the Golden Rule of religion ("Do unto others as you would have them do unto you").

3. Psychological egoism is an ethical and normative theory that prescribes how people should behave in certain situations.
4. Determine the moral worth of an action regardless of their consequences

5. Ethical Relativism

6. All of the above.

7. Decisions require the measurement of quantities and qualities that are not subject to precise measurement.

8. All of the above.

17. Social responsibility decisions in business should be decided according to

philosophical Natural Law and Natural rights ethical principles.
18. Social responsibility and ethical egoism are mutually exclusive and contradictory values.

19. Helpful in a prudent manner in the community

Hope this helps!

Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I will review tonight. I have 2 more sets of questions posted on the site. Maybe you can answer them for me. I am not sure if you can search for me or how it works. As I stated, this is my very first time using this.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

HelloCustomer

You can post questions to my attention by beginning your post with "For Chris M."

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay I edited them both. You can find them now. There are 2. Thaks
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

These other questions that you have posted are in categories that I am not in. You can remove the "For Chris M." from these. If you want to post questions for me in the Homework category, then you can begin these with "Chris M."

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know how i posted in the hw section the first time. I dont see it in the drop menu.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

You can post questions for me to my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/homework/expert-chrism/

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
9. A spray paint company discovers that its products are being misused by children and young people, who get "high" sniffing the fumes. There are no warning labels on the spray paint cans.
The company would be best deemed to have what type of obligation and duty to take steps to protect children and young people?

An ethical obligation but not a legal duty
A legal obligation but not an ethical obligation
Both an ethical obligation and a legal duty
Neither an ethical obligation nor a legal duty.

10. A large business horizontal merger, such as the United Airlines - Continental Airlines merger, could be considered moral pursuant to:

Ethical egoism from the standpoint of the new gigantic merged business despite some short-term expense, stress, and dislocation if the merger is approved by the government and overall it benefits the company and its stakeholders in the long-term.

Utilitarianism if society benefits overall from the merger although some employees (mainly middle managers) lost their jobs and there is now less competition on some routes (but more competition on others).

Legal Positivism if the government approves the merger.

All of the above.

11. Today the term corporate governance encompasses:

Legal restrictions on corporate behavior, particularly from the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

Moral restrictions on corporate behavior, particularly from company codes of ethics.

A societal expectation that a corporation today must be a "socially responsible" one.

All of the above.

12. Employee surveillance and monitoring done by the employer can result in:

Condemnation as an immoral company actions pursuant to Kantian ethics if the employees' privacy is violated.

Lawsuits for invasion of privacy if the actions are too intrusive.

Prohibited strictly by federal law in the United States.

A and B

13. Which of the following statements is incorrect?

A theory that says that morality and ethics should be based on law is called Legal Positivism.

When a person looks to an outside source for moral rules or commands, he or she might be characterized as an ethical emotist.

An ethical theory that maintains that people must choose the action of follow the rule that provides the greatest good to society is called Utilitarianism.

An ethical theory that says that people owe moral duties that are based on universal rules is called Kantian ethics

14. Today, critics of the corporation argue for various corporate governance reform proposals to improve the legal, moral, and socially responsible behavior of the corporation. Which of the following is the most convincing argument for these proposals?

These proposals are advisable because corporate managers should never have any duty other than to maximize profits for the shareholders

These proposals are necessary because market forces invariably operate to deter any corporate misbehavior

These proposals are necessary because existing laws, though extensive, still have moral and social responsibility "gaps"

These proposals are inadvisable because they will reduce corporate ability to respond quickly to changing business conditions and therefore will create allocational inefficiency.

15. Today, critics of the corporation argue for various corporate governance reform proposals to improve the legal, moral, and socially responsible behavior of the corporation. Which of the following is the most convincing argument AGAINST these proposals?

These proposals are inadvisable because corporate managers should never have any duty other than to maximize profits for the shareholders

These proposals are unnecessary because market forces invariably operate to deter any corporate misbehavior

These proposals are unnecessary because existing law already establishes clear standards for what is and is not moral corporate behavior globally

16. A conservative interpretation and definition of corporate "social responsibility" would typically reflect the view that:

Social responsibility decisions in business should be decided according to philosophical ethical principles that are higher than existing law.

Profit-maximization by lawful means is socially responsible behavior and that market forces will deter corporate socially irresponsible conduct.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

Answers are as follows:

9. Both an ethical obligation and a legal duty

10. All of the above.

11. All of the above.

12. A and B

13. When a person looks to an outside source for moral rules or commands, he or she might be characterized as an ethical emotist.

14. These proposals are necessary because existing laws, though extensive, still have moral and social responsibility "gaps"

15. These proposals are inadvisable because they will reduce corporate ability to respond quickly to changing business conditions and therefore will create allocational inefficiency.

16. Profit-maximization by lawful means is socially responsible behavior and that market forces will deter corporate socially irresponsible conduct.

Hope this helps!

Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
20. Which statement is incorrect regarding the application of the term "social responsibility" to business?

Social responsibility by business in the form of civic and charitable contributions to the local community usually is legally required when a local government is suffering a budget deficit.

Today's business executives and managers are well advised to pay attention on the changing perceptions in society as to what constitutes socially responsible behavior by business.

Social responsibility is the notion that a person or business should get involved in civic and charitable affairs in the community.

Social responsibility can include a business seeking to obtain good publicity and a good reputation in the community for its charitable and civic contributions.

21. As to the issue of whether a company should be a "socially responsible" one, the Ethical Egoists would likely say:

When in Rome, do as the Romans.

Justice is the will of the stronger.

Charity begins at home.

Save the whales.

22. A company that pressures and coerces its own employees to contribute their own money and their own time to help out local charities in order for the company to gain a good reputation for being socially responsible in the community could be acting:

Morally pursuant to Utilitarianism

Immorally pursuant to Kantian ethics

Legally if the employees are employees at-will and no crimes or torts are committed

All of the above.

23. Which of the following is NOT a correct statement?

A company's code of ethics must demand altruistic behavior from the firm's employees.

All members of a profession are professionals but not all professionals are members of a profession.

Business management cannot yet be regarded as a profession because business management lacks a general code of ethics for managers as well as the typical autonomy of the traditional professions.

In recent years, businesses have taken a more active role in dealing with social problems.

24. Members of a profession generally have mandatory:

Legal obligations to the profession and society.

Moral obligations based on the Code of Ethics of the profession.

Social responsibility obligations required by the profession.

All of the above.

25. Whistleblowing in the private employment sector in the United States typically is

Not protected by a uniform federal law

Protected under some state whistleblower protection statutes

Usually protected by the law if the disclosure is made to the media since the disclosure will be widespread and thus do the most good

Never required morally pursuant to Kantian ethics since the consequences for the whistleblowing employees usually are harsh, for example, loss of employment.

26. Brown Communications, Inc. needs to reduce costs by downsizing. In determining which employees to let go, the business' initial concern should be

Its profits for executive and management bonuses

Its ethical duty to the employees

The legality of the downsizing if the impact adversely affects older workers protected by age discrimination law

Its social responsibility reputation in the local community

27. The term "corporate governance" has what analytical components:

Ethical
Stakeholder analysis
All of the above.

28. Which of the following corporate governance reform strategies, if adopted, would be MOST LIKELY to decrease the amount of immoral and "irresponsible" corporate behavior?

Requiring the study of business ethics in business schools and corporate training

Increasing the amount of legal regulation of business and imposing stronger penalties for violations

Increasing executives' power to determine their fellow executives' compensation packages
Reducing the amount of government regulation of business since market forces invariably will operate to deter corporate misconduct.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work