GeologyTutor
GeologyTutor, Geologist
Experience:  Professional Geologist, Tutored many high school and college students. Sciences and Religion
10868375

describe the exploration history of barren lands region from

describe the exploration history of barren lands region from european contact to the early 1900's
Category: Homework
Expert:  GeologyTutor replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am more than happy to help you with this, but I have a few questions. Do you need just the mineral exploration, or exploration in general? Is this the Barren Lands region of Canada? How many words does the description have to be?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the mineral exploration in general it is based on barren lands an epic search for diamonds in the north american arctic. it is not said how many words its just asking us for basically a half page so im guessing as many as it takes to get a half page
The Barren Lands are a 500,000 square mile area of tundra in Canada where some of the world’s oldest known rocks are found. Now, diamonds are mined in the old rocks of the Canadian Shield, but exploration has occurred for hundreds of years for other minerals and resources. Legends of mountains of pure copper first led explorers to the Barren Lands. In 1610, Henry Hudson was the first to see the coast of the Barrens. Samuel Hearne was the first to actually go deep into the Barren Lands in search of copper. Hearne worked for the Hudson Bay Company and traveled throughout the area with Indian guides from 1769-1772. Alexander MacKenzie, a Scottish fur trader and explorer, was the first to note the presence of coal and petroleum in the northern reaches of Canada in 1789. In 1883, Joseph Tyrrell discovered a seam of coal that ended up being the largest deposit in Canada. Tyrrell worked for the Geological Survey at the time and undertook several expeditions including 1888 to investigate gypsum deposits and amber deposits in 1890. It wasn’t until 1893 that Tyrrell with his brother received permission to explore the Barren Lands. Tyrrell’s also known for discovering the first dinosaur fossil in Canada.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi sorry I just got back to you, if your still there, I asked the wrong question, I already have that one but in shorter response. But the question I really need (is to discuss finds of diamonds in north America previous to discoveries of the 1900's in barren Lands. )
Okay. Let me work on that and I'll have it for you shortly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
GeologyTutor, Geologist
Experience: Professional Geologist, Tutored many high school and college students. Sciences and Religion
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you still there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what are the specific geologic conditions under which diamond pipes form