F. Naz
F. Naz, Chartered Accountant
Experience:  Experience with chartered accountancy
20040807

HMI produces small gasoline-powered motors for use in a lawn

HMI produces small gasoline-powered motors for use in a lawn mowers. The company has been growing steadily over the past 5 yrs and is operating at full capacity. HMI recently completed the addition of a new plant and equipment at a cost of $7,800,000, thereby increasing its manufacturing capacity to 100,000 motors annually. The addition to plant and equipment will be depreciated on a straight-line basis over 10 yrs. Sales of motors were 60,000 units prior to the completion of the additional capacity. Cost records indicated that manufacturing costs had totaled $60 per motor, of which $48 per motor was considered to be variable manufacturing costs. HMI has used the volume of activity at full capacity as the basis for applying fixed manufacturing overhead. The normal selling price is $80 per motor, and HMI pays a 5% commission on the sales of its motors.
LP offered to purchase 35,000 motors at a price of $60 per unit to test viability of distributing lawn mower replacement motors through its Web site. HMI would be expected to produce the motors, store them in its warehouse, and ship individual motors to LP customers. As orders are placed directly through the LP web site, they would be forwarded instantly to HMI. No commissions will be paid on this special sales order, and freight charges will be paid by the customer purchasing a motor. a) calculate the cost per motor, for cost accounting purposes, after completion of the additional plant capacity. b) Identify all the relevant costs that HMI should consider in evaluating the special sales order from LP. c)should the offer be accepted? why or why not? d) if relevant cost analysis was not considered, is it likely that a correct special order analysis would have been made? Explain your answer. e) Identify the key qualitative factors that HMI management should consider with respect to this special order. f) Assume that with the additional plant capacity, sales of motors in HMI's regular market are expected to increase by 33 1/3% in the coming 12 months. Identify all the relevant costs that HMI should consider in evaluating the special sales order from LP. Why is your answer different than in requirement b? and g)Assume that sales of motors in HMI's regular market are expected to increase by 33 1/3% in the coming 12 months. Should the offer from LP by accepted? Why or why not?
Category: Homework
Expert:  F. Naz replied 2 years ago.

Click here for solution

Please do not hesitate to ask further and if you are satisfied do not forget to click on ACCEPT button so I get paid for my efforts, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Muhammad, thanks for helping. But can you show your work in part (c), why $60 offer covers all expenses. Is the contribution margin positive?
Expert:  F. Naz replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
F. Naz, Chartered Accountant
Experience: Experience with chartered accountancy