GeologyTutor
GeologyTutor, Geologist
Experience:  Professional Geologist, Tutored many high school and college students. Sciences and Religion
10868375

I did a lab with Iron(III)-thiocyanate equilibrium. The

I did a lab with Iron(III)-thiocyanate equilibrium.

The stock solution was 10mL of 0.01M Fe(NO3)3 and 10 mL of M 0.01 M KSCN,

to the first test tube we added ten drops of water and used it as our control to compare color changes.
To the second we added 1 M Fe(NO3)3
I am not sure how to determine what ions increased or decreased. If we added MORE Fe(NO3)3, would the increasing ions be Fe(NO3)3 ions and decreasing be KSCN? would this also favor the product side because MORE reactant favors product ?

I am hoping that if I can figure out how to correctly answer this question for one test tube, I won't have to ask about the remaining ones. Thank you
Category: Homework
Expert:  GeologyTutor replied 5 years ago.

Your reactants are the Fe(NO3)3 and KSCN, so those are the ions that decrease as the product ion Fe(SCN3) increases. You are combining the two ions (Fe(NO3)3 and KSCN) to create the Iron(III)-thiocyante.

I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you need more help. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But if we added ten drops of 1 M Fe(NO3)3 to the stock solution in test tube two, wouldnt that Increase the amount of reactant? I guess that this is hard to picture because there wasnt an equation to help visualize whether the reaction is going forward or in reverse.
The addition of Fe(NO3)3 means that more of the product has to be formed in order to use up the excess reactant and re-establish equilibrium.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so adding more Fe(NO3)3 to the stock solution of Fe(NO3)3 + KSCN : shifts the equilibrium towards the products, decreases KSCN ions and increases Fe(NO3)3 ions?

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.