proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator
Experience:  UCLA graduate. Advanced degrees in English and Education.
49595756

The only thing I need you to do is to respond to the comment

DQ #1 What are the characteristics of a typical 1 year old? Include physical, cognitive, and emotional or social development.

Comment 1: Whenever I ask this particular discussion question in class, for some reason images of kids with "special" skills always come to mind. Does anyone remember that little one year old years ago who can rattle off the names of every single president of the United States? The little guy was billed as a baby genius but I was never convinced that he was exceptionally bright - or brighter than any other child his age - but that his parents put a lot of energy and emphasis on him learning that particular skill. I think that kids will pick up just about anything that is emphasized in their environment. I like to show this little clip from Youtube about a little girl named Lola (who looks 1-ish to me) who has certainly acquired some knowledge about a topic that her daddy placed some value on. Check out this clip of Lola doing the "Smarty Pants Dance." It never fails to make me smile, no matter how many times I watch it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nn9dd6FfE8 sorry I can't get it to hyperlink - just cut and paste it in your address bar.

Comment 2: Thanks for sharing this video!
Skill acquisition is a specific form of learning (memory and cognitive), and it is also a developing abilities through practice so as to increase the probability of goal achievement. So, when I and my family watched the video “Smart Pants Dance”, and we all thought it was funny and at the same time interesting. I have no doubt that Lola is a very smart little girl., and I also think the parents put a lot of consuming time to make Lola “know” all the states ‘s names. In the past I read an article that said that young children can be made to recognize or memorize words, but the brains of infants and toddlers are just not developed enough to actually learn to read. So, I believe with all the repetition, attention and stimulation around her, made Lola memorize the states ‘names. Each child is unique and the child develops different skills and different ages, but I think coping/ modeling cooperation, focusing, etc helps build skills.
While I was watching the video came to me some questions?
And if we change the order of the questions, or even change the colors of the states should Lola be able to answer? If yes, I am so not sure if Lola will answer as fast as she was “trained” before.

Comment 3: Typical 1 year olds are learning how the world works. They are exploring their surroundings to gain knowledge of how things happen. Typical 1 year olds are taking their first steps to walking. 1 year olds like to push toys, throw toys, and walk along furniture while holding onto it. A 1 year old might begin using a spoon to eat. They want to do things on their own.1 year olds don't like to leave their parents. 1 year olds have a small vocabulary, but learn new words often. They speak some words very clear, but some of the words they might mumble out. They are learning to speak in sentences, so they might blabber on about things you don't understand.

It's good to play games with 1 year olds that will enhance the learning for them. For example, roll a ball to your 1 year old. Then say ball, and see if they repeat what you did. This is also a great time to really work on motor skills. They climb and enjoy finding new things. This is the stage where they begin getting into everything because now that they can walk, they can reach more things. A great way to enhance their learning is to have objects that they can play with in different areas. Create a scavenger hunt without it actually being a scavenger hunt. Place items in spots they can reach and down low where they can search for them.

Comment 4: The characteristics in a typical one year are:

Physical - Head and chest equal, teething, baby fat, eyes work together

Motor - They should be standing and holding onto furniture for at least a few seconds. They maybe walking, can pick up toys and not fall down, can go up and down stairs while holding on the rails. Waves good bye, let you dress them, and understands general commands. Can drink from a cup using both hands, and can feed themselves with a spoon.

Cognitive - Try's to put words together or form a sentence but most of the time is sounds like just sounds or jumbled set of words. Likes to hide things, likes pictures, wants you see what they have,

Emotional - Anger and fear start to really show, although newborns can also experience these emotions but not with the intensity of older children.

Social - less wary of strangers, puts away toys, plays by themselves, likes to be close, likes attention, tantrums are subject to happen, independence is starting to show.
Comment 5: When we talk about milestones we have always to keep in mind each child is unique and develops at his/her own pace. I remember when my daughters were about 12 months, I would say that they still had characteristics of a baby, and these changed step by step when they become more active. So, at about 1 year old they should reach these milestones. Physical /Motor (fine and gross)development: pulls to stand, crawls rapidly, seats self on floor , cruises on furniture or may begin to walk without adult help, stacks blocks, drinks from a cup with help and eats finger foods, may point with a finger and displays a precise pincher grasp when picking up small objects, etc. Cognitive and Language development: babbling that sounds like talking to express moods, demand attention or refer to objects, saying words, perhaps "mama" and "dada", imitates sounds and actions you make, responds to simple commands or requests, looks for an object that has fallen or rolled out of sight - memory is developing, responds to music by moving body to the rhythm of the music, likes picture books, likes to be read to, etc. Social and Emotional development: recognizes names of family members, may demonstrate anxiety when separated from a parent and apprehension toward strangers, cooperates with dressing by holding out an arm or foot, responds to facial expressions and voice tones, enjoys being around other children, develops sense of humor, shows interest in feeding self with a spoon, loves to see his/ her reflection in a mirror, etc.
Category: Homework
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Do you need a response to each comment? Is there a required word length? When is the assignment due? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes at least 125-150 word
Is that the word count for each comment or the total word count for all questions combined?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
for each question and yes i will be adding a bonus
Do you know what the bonus will be?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
about 20.00
Ok...I will work on this for you. I will send one comment at a time. Then on the last one, you can accept.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok

RESPONSE. From this response, I am not able to ascertain a clear understanding of the physical, cognitive, emotional and social characteristics of a typical one year old. It seems that from the information presented, one year olds are greatly influenced by their parents and most likely learn through observation and imitation. Some 1 year olds may seem bright compared to other 1 year olds when they really are not that smart. When parents teach their children the same thing over and over again, they will pick it pick it up eventually. That seems to be the circumstances in the two mentioned cases. However, what about the social development with other individuals beyond the relationship with parents? Are 1 year olds influenced by their peers such as in daycare or pre school settings? With regards XXXXX XXXXX development, do parents play such a big role that the 1 year olds cannot think for themselves? I am sure that a 1 year old can manifest some qualities of higher level thinking typical for his/her age group without having to be guided by parents exclusively.
Comment 2: Skill acquisition is a specific form of learning (memory and cognitive), and it is also a developing abilities through practice so as to increase the probability of goal achievement. So, when I and my family watched the video “Smart Pants Dance”, and we all thought it was funny and at the same time interesting. I have no doubt that Lola is a very smart little girl., and I also think the parents put a lot of consuming time to make Lola “know” all the states ‘s names. In the past I read an article that said that young children can be made to recognize or memorize words, but the brains of infants and toddlers are just not developed enough to actually learn to read. So, I believe with all the repetition, attention and stimulation around her, made Lola memorize the states ‘names. Each child is unique and the child develops different skills and different ages, but I think coping/ modeling cooperation, focusing, etc helps build skills.

RESPONSE: After reading the comment, I feel like there are conflicting statements present on the discussion. On the one hand the writer states that Lola was a very smart girl. However on the other hand, the writer states that Lola's parents spent a lot of time making her learn the names of the states through training procedures. I do not feel that by the information presented, Lola is actually that smart. The writer realizes further in the discussion that repetition, stimulation, and attention assist her with her cognitive development. I do not feel that you can train toddlers to be smart but rather enhance their cognitive development. Lola was proficient in memorization of a set order of questions as the writer states. If the order was changed, I agree with the writer that Lola may not be able to name the states. If she could do that, she really would be intelligent. However, what about her physical, emotional, and social development? Those aspects are critical to focus on in the early years as well. It is not just about how much information can be learned and spit back out.

RESPONSE: From this response, I am able to acquire a brief understanding about how a one year old develops physically as well as some ideas to enhance their development. I see how one years olds crave activity and want to remain active. Also, I learned how to combine physical activities with cognitive learning experiences to enhance vocabulary. It is once again important to realize that 1 year olds are observational learners and will learn by imitating almost everything that they experience. Regards XXXXX XXXXX development, the writer states how a one year old is very attached to his or her parents. I assume that is the reason why 1 year olds have a great deal of separation anxiety. However, I am wondering about the emotional development of a one year old. How does that come into play along with their physical, cognitive, and social development?

RESPONSE: The writer broke down the various components of the development of a typical one year old in a very comprehensible manner. As I was reading the descriptions, I found myself picturing a one year old in the manner that was described. However in the cognitive component, the fact of children imitating parents should have been discussed. The facts presented were all true, but that is such an important feature in their development. Also, there was a mention of fear and anger that appears in one year olds. However, many 1 year olds are also extremely happy children as long as their needs are being met. It is true that anger and fear start to manifest themselves but it is not to the extreme. With regards XXXXX XXXXX social development, I somewhat disagree that 1 year olds are less wary of strangers. I feel that they are more wary of strangers and always want to cling to their parents. Independence does start to show but they still rely on others to help them with many things.

RESPONSE: I enjoyed reading the detailed description of the physical, cognitive, emotional, and social development of a typical 1 year old. However compared to the other descriptions from other classmates, this description made me think that a one year old is still very much like a baby because many of the same characteristics are still present. I did not get the feeling that a typical one year old can learn rapidly through imitation and manifest a great deal of independence. I got the feeling that a typical 1 year old still does need to be "babied" in order to develop physically, socially, cognitively, and emotionally. However, I also felt that this was perfectly fine to treat one year olds in such a manner and that maybe we are pushing 1 year olds to get out of the baby stage too quickly. They need all of that TLC in all areas of their lives. Nonetheless, the information presented
made me further realize that all 1 year olds may not all exhibit the same typical behaviors because every individual is unique and develops at their own rate step by step.

HOPE THAT THIS WAS MOST HELPFUL!!!!
proexpert37, Educator
Experience: UCLA graduate. Advanced degrees in English and Education.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.