proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator
Experience:  UCLA graduate. Advanced degrees in English and Education.
49595756

Please guide on the following : (1) I have a 10 yrs old

Customer Question

Please guide on the following :

(1) I have a 10 yrs old son studying in 4th Grade in MN State . I want to know about from which Grade or Class level , the marks or grades or academic performance of the student are taken into consideration by Colleges or Universities for admission and schoolarships ? Is it from 8th Grade onwards or before and how can the student keep those records to use for College or University ?

(2) I also dont understnad the concept of GPA used in USA for College Admission , please clarify it too ?
Category: Homework
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for responding. Colleges and universities look at grades in high school, the 9th to the 12th grades as well as the SAT or ACT score along with recommendation letters from teachers if required. More emphasis is placed on grades in the 10th and 11th grades as well as the types of classes taken, meaning how challenging the classes are. Scholarships are usually given to high school seniors based on high GPAs but you must check into the scholarships for individual requirements. The GPA that colleges use ranges from 0.0 to 4.0 with 4.0 being an A. However, the GPA can go higher than a 4.0 if the student takes AP of Advanced Placement classes which may improve the chances of being accepted with a higher GPA. The grades in 8th grade and the previous years are not utilized for college admission.

Have a blessed day!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is SAT a separate exam. from the normal regular exams of individual grade levels like exams of 9th Grade , 10th Grade , 11th Grade and the 12th Grade to pass or promote to next grade ?

& Is the SAT not required by the High School in which a student studies his 9th,10th ,11th and 12th Grades but is required by the College or University where that student is willing to get admision ,.............................. am i right ?

The SAT is a national test that students take starting in the 11th grade but toward the end of the 11th grade. It is not a school test. The student can take the test as many times as he or she wishes to try to improve the score. The test does cost. I believe it is about $55 dollars now. It is given on a Saturday and covers reading, math, and writing. The test is about 4 hours long. Students can take practice tests through Kaplan on line or enroll in classes. Additionally, you can buy SAT practice books. In the 10th grade, the PSAT test will be given which is a practice SAT test.

You do not need to take the SAT to get into high school. You need to take it as part of college requirements.

:)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am going to accept your answer , please clarify the following doubts :

(1) OK , so as i understand is that SAT is in no way a exam to score or pass to complete the High School requirement to successfully complete the 12th Grade in USA and come out of School because there are other regular high school home tests or exams in the school to pass the high school 9th , 10th , 11th and 12th grades , ..................... am i correct ?

(2) Can a student keep on giving SAT to improve the score even after passing the 12th Grade from his High School ?

(3) Do regular high schools also prepare the students to score high in SAT & ACT or these schools just do their regular studies and tests ?

(4) Does the GPA start to build up from 9th Grade performance and counts in till 12th Grade performance i.e., 4 years to make GPA ?

Some schools have high school exit exams that need to be passed to exit high school. The SAT is not an exit exam.

A students cannot keep taking the SAT after 12 th grade to get in to college.

Regular high schools may prepare the students for the SAT or ACT but not usually. You have to seek prep courses outside of school on your own.

The GPA starts in 9th grade.

:)
proexpert37, Educator
Experience: UCLA graduate. Advanced degrees in English and Education.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My new question is as below :

(1) As you told that the GPA starts to build up from 9th Grade till 12th Grade , may i know who calculates the GPA i.e., how does it get calculated in the range of 0 to 4 ?

(2) Are all these academic performance results of a student available online or in a national co-ordinated data center which can be accessed by colleges or employers to verify or every student has to report it individually with copy of marksheet or high school reports to the colleges or employers at the time of job application ?

(3) You told that a person can take SAT only till he is in high school i.e., till the time he has not completed his 12th Grade or exited from 12th Grade with Pass .............. , then what about those who have done their 12th Grade like 2 years back and are now thinking to join some college for higher studies but have not appeared for SAT before like in high school time ?

(4) Who conducts SAT ? Is there any role of student's regular high school in the SAT or ACT Exam. in any way ?

GPA is determined by dividing the total amount of grade points earned by the total amount of credit hours attempted in high school.

The SAT results are available online a few weeks after the test is taken. You also decide what colleges you want to receive the scores, usually the colleges that you will apply to. Most junior colleges do not require SAT scores.

Most juniors and seniors in high school take the SAT because the test is needed when applying to college. However, if you are not going to college, then you would not need to take the SAT. However after you graduate from high school and you later decide that you want to attend college, you can still take the SAT.

The SAT is run by a company. You can go to sat.college board.org, collegeboard.org, or collgeboard.com for a great deal of information about the SAT and the college application process. The school may be used as a testing site for the SAT or as a site for practice SAT classes that you pay for, but that is the only role.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks , i am going to accept your answer . Please clarify below in this regard :

(1) Thus SAT or ACT can be taken by a student when he is studying in High School or even later when he has already graduated from 12th Grade or finished his High School , ........................ am i right ?

(2) You used the word " JUNIOR COLLEGE " , What does it mean ? I only know High School which is till 12th Grade and after it College which runs undergraduate courses or award Bachelor Degrees like B.A. (Bachelor of Arts) ,etc.

(3) Do i need to keep all the original academic records from 9th Grade onwards like annual report cards, Marksheets , etc. if which will be used to provide as true proof at the time of college admission or employment application later ?

(4) I am not at all clear about how to calculate GPA . Please explain me through an example like TOM is a student who has passed 9th , 10th , 11th & 12th Greades and now ready to apply for college . Please you imagine or suppose his marks to explain and make me understand how to calculate his GPA ?

& what is this concept of CREDIT HOURS and how to determine ?

Yes you are correct.

Junior college occurs after high school. Students receive an A.A. Degree or Associate of Arts degree. Many students attend a junior college because they may not have good grades to get into a regular 4 year university, a junior college is cheaper, and the entrance requirements are not as rigorous. Usually, a student needs to complete about 60 units at a junior college which will take about two years. So you can be a like a freshman and then a sophomore at a junior college and then transfer to a four year university and enter as a junior to complete your studies to earn a B.A. there.

The high school will always keep all academic records and grades on file. They will provide you or the desired college with a transcript or record of the grades. You do not submit report cards.

GPA is determined by dividing the total amount of grade points for each class by the total amount of credit hours. If you have taken AP classes, they factor into the equation as well. It might also depend on the high school you are referring to. You can always contact them.

For each high school class taken and passed, the student will receive a certain number of credits. The school will
let you know how many credits are needed to graduate as well as the necessary classes to take to graduate.

proexpert37, Educator
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Credit is a very common term and can be used in many respects . I dont get it what does credit exactly mean here or what is the measurement unit for credit here for this GPA dicussion . I will appreciate if you can explain it in an example as it will make me easy to understand .

Waiting for your reply ............................

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.