David, Tutor
Experience:  PhD in Theoretical Physics
394177

for David -- I need further clarification on these two formula:

Customer Question

for David -- I need further clarification on these two formula: PE = -qEd and V = (kq)/r ---- in the first d represends the distance between plates in a capacity (for example) and this has nothing to do with the distance a proton moves in the electric field. Is this correct? In the second formula, the r DOES represent the distance a proton moves in the electric field. Is this correct? But if so, then as the proton moves in the direction of the electric field from some reference point, isn't the distance from the referece point increasing, which would mean that the voltage is decreasing, the opposite of what is true? OR, are we supposed to interpret distance as the distance to the END of the field (rather than from some reference point IN the field) so that as the proton moves in the field the distance to the end of the field decreases and therefore the voltage increases. Please advise.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I am a Moderator with Just Answer. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Expert:  David L. replied 2 years ago.

I am going to have to open this one up to other experts to assist you.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
David, Tutor
Experience: PhD in Theoretical Physics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the distance from the proton to what, the negative end of the field? If so, then r is decreasing as the proton moves in the direction of the field and if r is decreasing then V is increasing. Is this correct?
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
the distance from the proton to what, the negative end of the field?
To the point where you measure the potential.

If so, then r is decreasing as the proton moves in the direction of the field and if r is decreasing then V is increasing. Is this correct?
The correct answer is this. The closer proton gets to a selected point the higher is the potential at this point.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the closer the proton gets to a selected point anywhere IN THE FIELD, the higher is the potential at this point. Correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hey David, I tried to give you the bonus we discussed for your patience in the chat room but encountered a system error from Just Answer so I'll have to wait until they get that ironed out. Tom
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, Tom