Steve
Steve, MBA
Experience:  MBA
26942375

Suppose that a newly invented environmentally friendly solar

Customer Question

Suppose that a newly invented environmentally friendly solar powered heat engine is suggested to work by utilizing the temperature different between the top and bottom layers of a lake. For concreteness, suppose that such an engine is suggested for a small lake with a width of 80m and length of 400m with the top-layer at 25◦C and the bottom layer at 15◦C. The inventor estimates that it will have an electrical output of 1 MW. Is his/her idea viable? You may want to assume that the solar radiation at the lake is around 160 W/m2 on average.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
PLEASE NOTE THAT EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED OR MULTIPLE QUESTIONS ACCEPT STILL NEEDS TO BE CLICKED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that I do not receive any credit or compensation whatsoever for my time and effort until the green ACCEPT button is pressed. Thank you.

the surface area of the lake is 80*400=32000m2

with radiation of 160/m2 this gives: 32000*160=5,120,000W

5,120,000W is 5.12 megawatts.

So yes, the idea is viable.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

If I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I receive credit for doing so.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about the temperature differential (25 to 15 degrees celsius)? Where is that in the calculation?
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.