F. Naz
F. Naz, Chartered Accountant
Experience:  Experience with chartered accountancy

Direct material variances-the price versus usage trade-off:

Direct material variances-the price versus usage trade-off: A company manufactures quality replacement parts for the auto industry. It uses a standard scoting system and isolates variances as soon as possible. The purchasing manager is responsible for controlling the direct material price variances for the hundreds of raw material items that are used in the company's various production processes.Recent experience indicates that, in the aggregate, direct material price variances have been favorable. However, several problems have occurred. Direct material usage variances have become consistently unfavorable for many items, and the company's total budger variance for direct material has been unfavorable during each of the past six months. Direct laborers have complained about the quality of certain raw material items, and major costomers have canceled purchase orders. In the maentime, the company's reay materials inventory has increased by nearly 240%. Required: a) Give a probable explanation of why these results have occurred. (Hint: what might the purchasing manager be doing tht is dysfunctional for the company as a whole?) and b) How could the performance reporting system be improved to encourage more appropriate behavior on the part of the purchasing manager?
Category: Homework
Expert:  F. Naz replied 4 years ago.

Click Here For The Solution

Have a nice day

Please do not hesitate to ask further and if you are satisfied do not forget to click on ACCEPT button so I get paid for my efforts, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Muhammad for your solution. I like it, but can I ask you another short question. Why do you use cost formula in performance reporting? Thank you.
Expert:  F. Naz replied 4 years ago.

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.