Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1. After the Iranian Revolution of 1979 brought the Ayatollah

1. After the Iranian Revolution of 1979 brought the Ayatollah Khomeini to power, fundamentalist Islamic sharia law was infused into Iranian government policies. In reaction to this development, most

A. Muslim countries rejected and suppressed Islamic fundamentalists.
B. Muslim countries turned to terrorism to further Muslim interests.
C. Sunni Muslims rejected sharia law, because most Iranians are Shia.
D. Muslim countries also adopted sharia law.

2. In a/an _______ economy, the production of a wide range of manufactured products becomes more economically important than primary production and a service sector begins to develop.

A. developing
B. production
C. diversified
D. international
3. In India, the government favors the building of dams in order to

A. reduce dependency on irrigation.
B. invite foreign investment.
C. reverse the effects of salinization.
D. provide systematic irrigation.

4. In the 1960s and 1970s under President Gamel Abdul Nasser, Egypt was a/an _______ state that developed more rapidly than the rest of North Africa.

A. democratic
B. socialist
C. autocratic
D. capitalist

5. About what percentage of the Indian population lives in the lower and middle Ganges river basin?

A. 50%
B. 40%
C. 60%
D. 70%

6. In which of the following countries are Shia Muslims the majority?

A. Yemen
B. Turkey
C. Iran
D. Saudi Arabia

7. Which of the following statements is true with regard to Pakistan?

A. General Pervez Musharraf seized power in 1999 to establish a democratic government.
B. Between 1980 and the early 2000s, literacy rates increased only slightly.
C. U.S. sanctions imposed on Pakistan after its nuclear tests were dropped in late 2001.
D. Former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto was elected president in 2008.

8. Among regional languages, _______ combines Hindi with Arabic script and is the official language of _______.

A. Sinhalese; Sri Lanka
B. Punjabi; Afghanistan
C. Bengali; Bangladesh
D. Urdu; Pakistan

9. Mohandas Gandhi adopted his creed of nonviolence and respect for life from the religious doctrines of

A. Jainism.
B. Sikhism.
C. Buddhism.
D. Islam.

10. The entire region of Northern Africa and Southwest Asia is dominated by

A. desert climates.
B. climates in which the evaporation exceeds precipitation.
C. climates in which rainfall is either abundant or all but entirely absent.
D. steppe climates.

11. In modern India, the "Garden City" of _________ is known as India's "Silicon Valley."

A. Bengaluru
B. Kolkata
C. New Delhi
D. Mumbai

12. Medinas capture the unique historical character and social patterns of cities in North Africa and Southwest Asia. Labyrinths of winding alleys and many kinds of souks are typical features. What are souks?

A. Commercial areas
B. Bordellos
C. Sacred sites
D. Ethnic quarters

13. Among Hindus, members of the lowest caste are commonly referred to by the term dalit, which means

A. "oppressed."
B. "segregated."
C. "disadvantaged."
D. "despised."

14. Sudanese violence against non-Arab peoples in the western province of Darfur has introduced the world to the term Janjaweed. What does this term translate to in English?

A. "Paramilitary assassin"
B. "Rapist assassin"
C. "Criminal bandit"
D. "Devil on horseback with a gun"

15. What was Mustafa Ataturk's contribution to modern Turkey?

A. He began the process of turning Turkey into a modernized, secular state.
B. He breathed new vitality into Turkish culture through religious reforms.
C. He established a democratic, parliamentary government.
D. He was instrumental in policy changes that gave Turkey membership in NATO.

16. Which of the following statements about Nepal is true?

A. It's a Muslim country that has fostered good relations with the British.
B. The country's official policy emphasizes "gross national happiness."
C. It became a democracy in the 1980s.
D. Up until 2006, Maoist guerillas caused major disruptions in urban areas.

17. The 1959 Nile Water Agreement between Egypt and _______ led to the construction of the Aswan High Dam.

A. Sudan
B. Libya
C. Syria
D. Saudi Arabia

18. Which of the following global religions arose in India?

A. Jainism
B. Sikhism
C. Buddhism
D. Hinduism

19. Among the most populous of South Asian cities, Karachi is located in _______ and Dhaka is located in _______.

A. India; Pakistan
B. Bangladesh; India
C. Bangladesh; Pakistan
D. Pakistan; Bangladesh

20. In 1997, the year the Kyoto Protocol was endorsed by more than 120 countries, the top carbon dioxide emitters included Persian Gulf states such as Qatar and the United Arab Emirates. Among the top 10 emitters, which country ranked seventh?

A. Kuwait
B. Bahrain
C. United States
D. Saudi Arabia
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)