Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1.Which of the following is NOT an accurate statement about

1.Which of the following is NOT an accurate statement about Civil War soldiering?

A.Northern soldiers tended to accept army discipline more readily than southerners.
B.The lower classes of society, rather than the typical farmer or shopkeeper, made up a disproportionate share of each army.
C.Northern soldiers tended to have more quantity and variety of food than southerners.
D.Camp life both corrupted morals and provided occasions for religious revivals.

2. Benjamin Montgomery makeS the point that

A.former slaves who really tried could achieve a measure of prosperity in the postwar South.
B.Reconstruction clearly hinged on northern rather than southern actions after the war.
C.Reconstruction was an impossible task, for neither northerners nor southerners wanted African Americans to gain political and economic opportunity.
D.for former slaves to attain meaningful lives as free citizens, they would need economic power, which, in turn, required political power.

3. The southern response to war's end and Johnson's program of Reconstruction indicated

A.despair and defiance.
B.remorse and resolve to rebuild.
C.willingness to give an appearance of accommodation to northern desires.
D.grudging recognition that they had to repudiate their old-line Confederate leadership.

4. African Americans who held political office in southern Reconstruction governments generally

A.alienated whites by pushing for social equality and land reform.
B.were more radical in their views than the black population at large.
C.manipulated the Freedmen's Bureau to impose unequal labor contracts on white planters.
D.were educated professionals, independent landowners, or otherwise from the ranks of black elites.

5. For southern whites, the old idea of ________ in master-slave relationships was replaced by ________.

A.close paternalistic ties; the distance of purely economic relationships
B.religious duty; an ideology of class conflict
C.terrorizing blacks into submission; artfully persuading them of the wisdom of letting whites govern for them
D.enforced segregation of the races; more complex and subtle social interactions

6. the "Exodusters" make the point that

A.religious imagery was important in the lonely lives of rural folk in the late nineteenth century.
B.hopes for the future in the South and West confronted realities of "colonial" economies built on exploited lands and peoples.
C.while the South suffered from floods and worn-out soil, westerners suffered from locust infestations and the Dust Bowl.
D.both the South and the Midwest lost population as blacks and whites alike joined the "Boomer" land rushes in the far West.

7. What is the best explanation why tenancy became widespread in the South?

A.Southern farmers preferred not to own land
B.Blacks generally refused to leave the localities where they had lived all their lives.
C.A shortage of cash and credit made land ownership difficult.
D.It made cattle ranching more practical.

8. Who were the Redeemers?

A.northern reformers who took over southern governments during Reconstruction
B.moderate border-state Republicans
C.pro-business conservative Democrats
D.non-partisan advocates of equal rights for freedmen

9. What was the significance of the 98th meridian?

A.The Census Bureau considered it the beginning of the frontier.
B.It marks a boundary within the plains where the area of scarce rainfall begins.
C.It delineates the eastern boundary of the area originally designated for Indian reservations.
D.Slavery had not existed beyond that line.

10. What new industries in the South typified the realities of post-Civil War economic life?

a. tobacco and textiles
b. lumber and steel
c. milling and meatpacking
d. mining and ranching
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)