Susan Athena
Susan Athena, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  10+ yrs teaching & tutoring. AP essay grader. 2 masters degrees. English, IT, business.
12809769

Just choose one.. needs to be 3/4 paragraphs. 1) In

Customer Question

Just choose one.. needs to be 3/4 paragraphs.

1) In their article, written in 2006, McCauley and Wakefield speak of an impending talent shortage as many experienced leaders approach retirement. They argue that “Globally, fewer and fewer managers and professionals are ready to fill these leadership roles, and companies worldwide find themselves competing for a smaller pool of talent.” As we all know, since 2006, there has been a global recession which, as we speak, may be going in for a second dip. Unemployment rates in the U.S. and globally are much higher than we have experienced in recent memory and have been for several years with little relief in sight. Unless you believe that only lesser-talented people lost jobs in the recession, this would indicate that more talented people are available now than were when this article was written. In addition, the financial melt-down has caused many more experienced managers to delay retirement plans due to pension losses. Given these factors, do you still believe that a shortage of top-level talent is occurring or will soon occur? Why or why not?

2) In ‘Six-Sigma for People?”, Michael Grant describes a process for managing performance. He begins by conceding that , “Too often performance review discussions are painful yearly interactions…and the outcome is usually increased resentment, anger, and hurt—hardly a way to increase productivity, innovation, and commitment to the goals of the organization!” Do you believe that the principles of Six-Sigma would improve performance evaluation as Mr. Grant says it will? Why or why not? If your answer is no, what do you believe would work better?

3) The article, ‘Human Resource Planning in Japanese Multinationals: A Model for U.S. Firms?’ was published in 1984. Do you think it’s basic assertions still hold true today?

4) Andrew Carnegie argues that persons who have succeeded as leaders of corporations should take a leadership role in doing philanthropic work to give back to society. Carnegie argued that, among other things, these were precisely the people who would be best able to determine how money could be most effectively spent to remedy society's ills. A century later, we see very well-known billionaires such as Bill Gates and Warren Buffett apparently acting on this advice. In fact, a number of billionaires have signed a pact agreeing to give a large portion of their wealth to social causes. Others like Bill O'Brian of Digicel (see external link) think that re-investing in poor countries is just good business. Still others, however, have not signed the billionaires pact and do not believe in it, even if they are drawing profits from poor countries or populations. What is your view of successful business persons giving back. Should it be a moral imperative of anyone who achieves great wealth? Should it be a undertaken only if an argument can be made that it makes good long-term business sense? Or should it be nobody's business except that of the billionaire? Please note that this question does not ask about taxes or anything else that is mandated by the government. The question is about specific comments made by Andrew Carnegie in our reading and Bill O'Brian in our external link about Digicel in Haiti. I am trying to get at your views on corporate responsibilities to a broader body of stakeholders.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Susan Athena replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Experience: 10+ yrs teaching & tutoring. AP essay grader. 2 masters degrees. English, IT, business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Which question did you answer?? Is it the last one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ignore my last question..:)
No worries. Thanks so much!

Susan