My apologies. I was answering from my ipad, and had some difficulties with responding; as you can see my answers all came out in a string. #13 as I gave it to you was definitely incorrect. This time I have bolded the answers. If you are still dissatisfied, I will opt out and try to get another expert to help you with this. Again I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused.
Which statement correctly describes the ability of bases? (Points : 4)
release only hydrogen ions
take up only hydrogen ions
release only hydroxide ions
both take up and hydrogen ions and release hydroxide ions
release hydrogen and release hydroxide
2. How do isotopes of an element differ? (Points : 4)
types of bonds
3. Which of the following explains the events occurring when water boils? (Points : 4)
Hydrogen bonds are broken between neighbor water molecules.
Covalent bonds are broken between oxygen and hydrogen atoms.
Ionic bonds are broken when the minerals in water are heated.
The bond between one water molecule and another is strengthened.
The hydrogen atoms break away from the oxygen and escape as vapor.
4. The pH scale is a mathematical indicator of what? (Points : 4)
the concentration of H+ present in a solution
the concentration of OH+ present in a solution
the total amount of all ions in a solution
the ability of a solution to buffer
the ability to dissolve in water
5. How is the atomic number of an element determined? (Points : 4)
Number of protons.
Total of protons and neutrons.
Number of electrons.
Number of electron levels.
Number of neutrons.
6. Which of the following is the smallest unit of matter that has all the properties of an element? (Points : 4)
7. Which of the following is NOT a property of water? (Points : 4)
It is a good solvent.
It is denser when frozen than when liquid.
It is cohesive.
It resists temperature changes.
It can be found as a solid, liquid, or gas.
8. What is important about an atom's outermost electron shell? (Points : 4)
is filled when it has three electrons
determines its chemical reactivity
determines its atomic mass
is filled with positively charged particles.
is filled identically for every element.
9. What category of biological molecules are steroids included in? (Points : 4)
10. What element do all organic molecules have in common? (Points : 4)
11. Glycogen is a _____ made of many ______. (Points : 4)
simple sugar; amino acids
peptide; amino acids
polymer; glucose molecules
protein; fatty acids
nucleic acid; nucleotides
12. A gene in DNA is the code for what? (Points : 4)
a sequence of amino acids
a sequence of glucose molecules
a sequence of fatty acids used in a fat
a sequence of sugars
a sequence of functional groups
13. If a material mixes readily with water it is classified as which of the following? (Points : 4)
14. What is the principle role for sugars in living things? (Points : 4) - sugars are energy storage molecules - monosaccharaides are "ready energy"
to form cell membranes
to serve as a form of energy storage
to create out genetic code
for creating energy
to produce hormones
15. What makes a lipid unsaturated? (Points : 4)
At least on double or triple bond.
All single bonds.
Hydrogens are added.
Short fatty acid chains.
16. Which of the following is a primary function of proteins? (Points : 4)
17. Which of the following is in correct order from smallest to largest? (Points : 4)
protein- amino acid- polypeptide
amino acid-polypeptide- peptide
18. Which of these things would make you question the validity of a scientific study? (Points : 4)
Study originated from a simple observation.
Hypothesis has never been tested before.
Experiment canot be repeated.
Results published in a journal read only by scientists.
Original hypothesis was rejected.
19. Which of the following correctly lists the classification categories from least to most inclusive? (Points : 4)
kingdom, phylum, domain, class, order, family, genus, species
domain, kingdom, class, order, family, phylum, genus, species
genus, species, family, class, order, domain, phylum, kingdom
species, genus, family, order, class, phylum, kingdom, domain
phylum, species, genus, kingdom, domain, order, class, family
20. To which group to prokaryotes belong? (Points : 4)
21. Scientists were studying temperature selection among pregnant big brown bats, to see if being pregnant has an effect on the preferred temperature the bats select. What would the control group be in this experiment? (Points : 4)
Female bats that were not pregnant.
Pregnant bats kept in higher temperatures.
Female bats kept at lower temperatures.
22. Which process transforms solar energy into chemical energy? (Points : 4)
23. According to the Mader text, what is the single most significant bioethical issue that we face today? (Points : 4)
Genetically modified organisms.
Loss of biodiversity - (my best guess without having the book)
Pollution to air and water.
24. What is the smallest unit of life? (Points : 4)
25. Which statement is true about a theory? (Points : 4)
is tested by an experiment
is more narrow in scope than a hypothesis
encompasses many hypotheses.
cannot be tested
is held to be an absolutely correct answer to a question.