proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator
Experience:  UCLA graduate. Advanced degrees in English and Education.
49595756

My 12 yr. old grandson is very intelligent, but is having trouble

My 12 yr. old grandson is very intelligent, but is having trouble with math and I am looking for some insight. He is having difficulty holding onto a learned concept, and this has become an issue with math just this year (7th grade AP/pre-algebra). For example, if he has been taught that a 20% discount from an item that costs $100 results in a sale price of $80, and is then given 5 homework problems to solve in the exact same manner, the first two and the fourth problem he will get correct, but numbers 3 and 5 he will reverse and ADD the discount rather than subtract it. He is doing this with nearly every new concept he learns, and it is getting very frustrating for me as I help him with his homework every night. Is this a sign of any type of learning disability?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.