R.R. Jha
R.R. Jha, Tutor
Experience:  B.Tech
20870358

Use the arc-approximation formula to calculate the price-elasticity

Use the arc-approximation formula to calculate the price-elasticity of demand coefficient of a firm's product demand between the (quantity, price) points ($100, $20) and ($300, $10). Calculate the cross price elasticity of demand coefficient of a firm's product Y, causes the quantity demand of product X to increase by 10%. Calculate the income-elasticity of demand coefficient for a product for which a 4% increase in consumer's income will increase the quantity demanded by 6%
Category: Homework
Expert:  R.R. Jha replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer!

Please re-write the second part. What's the percentage change in price of Y?

Thanks
Expert:  R.R. Jha replied 4 years ago.
Use the arc-approximation formula to calculate the price-elasticity of demand coefficient of a firm's product demand between the (quantity, price) points ($100, $20) and ($300, $10)

Price elasticity of demand

= ((300-100)/((300+100)/2)) / ((10-20)/((10+20)/2))
= -1.5

Calculate the income-elasticity of demand coefficient for a product for which a 4% increase in consumer's income will increase the quantity demanded by 6%

Income elasticity of demand
= %change in demand / %change in income
= 6% / 4%
= 1.5

Let me know if any question.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I also had in the question Calculate the cross-price elasticity of demand coefficient of a firm's product X, given that a 5% increase in the price of its close substitute, Product Y, causes the quantity demand of product X to increase by 10%. I do not see that calculation.
Expert:  R.R. Jha replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I submitted a second homework problem but have not received a response. Are you working on that problem?
Expert:  R.R. Jha replied 4 years ago.
I see another expert answered the question. Please review it.

For any future questions you'd like to ask me, please put 'RRJha' at the start.

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I sure will. I thought that your name was on my question.
Expert:  R.R. Jha replied 4 years ago.
No problem.

And I too reviewed the answer by another expert. I think it isn't quite clear. I've posted a cleaner answer. Just double click any highlighted cell to see formula used.

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you able to do the 2nd homework problem that I submitted because I have not heard from the person that worked on it and I am trying to understand how the work was done.
Expert:  R.R. Jha replied 4 years ago.
I answered that one. Please review it and let me know. Just double click any highlighted cell to see formula used for its calculation.
Expert:  R.R. Jha replied 4 years ago.
Hope you received my answer on marginal and average cost schedule. All set, please don't forget to hit accept button. Then let me know if I could help with any other question.

Thanks