Academic Tutor
Academic Tutor, Teacher, Author,
Experience:  B.S. & M.Th., CAO, Principal and Dean
21894638

As I understand it, a dissertation is supposed to make an orginal

As I understand it, a dissertation is supposed to make an orginal contribution to existing knowledge.

What happens to this new knowledge? How is it 'stored'?

How many of the surely thousands of pieces of "new knowledge" from dissertations make it into the accepted bank of "existing knowledge"?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Academic Tutor replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What subject is this?
-What level of (schooling) / (grade) is this?
-What have you already tried?
-How many pages are you looking for?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Actually I'm not doing a dissertation, this question cropped up in a conversation with my son about college education in general.

I was trying to explain to him that most study prior to doctorate level is supposed to demonstrate a mastery of existing knowledge and that he will have an opportunity to ADD to existing knowledge at the doctorate level during his dissertation. (at least this is my understanding - correct me if I'm wrong)

I'd like to know 'generally' what happens to all these original contributions to knowledge - whether it be in Humanities, Formal Sciences, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, Applied Sciences ....

Obviously the 'learned societies' don't assess every single one...lol..is all dissertation material at least stored anywhere?

I'm guessing there are widely varying practices amongst both academic subjects and the various institutions...but I still thought it would be reasonable to ask for a rough overview of commonly accepted practice...or an answer in only the areas that you are familiar with together with your 'best guess' for other areas would be satisfactory too.

Thanks!

Your assumptions are very close to correct. Even though one was supposed to attain a great deal of knowledge in a chosen field, the acquiring of special knowledge that makes one unique does not occur until the doctorate level. Many professors assume a mastery of existing knowledge before you even enter the study hall.

Depending on which institution and which science, the dissertation or the thesis can take on different names and purposes. The more accurate term for a doctorate level dissertation might well be “book.” Practically, one is authoring one’s own book of knowledge on the subject.

In the education field, a thesis is put up on the shelf only to be perused by other entrants into that line of study. It becomes part of the special section in the Library Hall. With the introduction of the digital recording this library now spans far past the physical college shelves.

It is an honor for a work to be used as a college textbook or to be cited by another student because this is often how one’s work gets to see the light of day. Do not take this wrong, a dissertation and a passing grade is the entrance into the doctorate field, and the professor or an understudy will read every word of a work, but self-publishing may be the only way it receives wide attention.

Only teachers in my field have heard of the Nongraded Primary Education by Gausted or the Christian Look at the United States Revolution by Rasmussen. All material is keep at the university. I was in the era before the rise of the internet so all my studies and theses are in written form, and I have now no desire to digitally transcribe them.

My assumption is that the more physical sciences and the doctorate liberal arts also store, keep, and compile their information the same way. Some with the budgets have subcontracted companies to come and scan all their work into the college intranet, but this is only with the huge institutions, and with works that receive a higher acclaim than the average dissertation.

I hope this answer was satisfactory as I did not think I would get to it on this ML King holiday in which I do so much community service work for our fellow men.

Academic Tutor, Teacher, Author,
Experience: B.S. & M.Th., CAO, Principal and Dean
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi - on reflection I realize that I didn't understand some parts of your answer:

"the acquiring of special knowledge that makes one unique" I don't understand what you are referring to by 'one'. Can you please re-word the point are you making here?

"most professors assume a mastery of knowledge before you even enter the study hall" is there some significance to "study hall" as it applies to a doctoral dissertation/thesis? Can you please re-word the point you are making here?

Thanks.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.