proexpert37, Educator
Experience:  UCLA graduate. Advanced degrees in English and Education.

From 1st grade to 5th, my son has not performed well in math.

From 1st grade to 5th, my son has not performed well in math. We have had tutors as well as seeing to it that his homework gets done. In every other subject, he is very bright. I have read about "discalculate" or something like that, that claims that some people have trouble with match (as does I do and so does his grandmother) because a portion of the brain that handles that type of thinking, is the cause. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so, how can it become overcome. This is not a real problem for us because we do not let any one thing define who he is, but he still needs to learn math ... any thoughts?
Category: Homework
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. The issue that you are referring to is called Dyscalculia. It is manifested by problems in learning arithmetical concepts and procedures despite sufficient educational experiences. There is evidence that it is genetic. There are adaptive computer programs available aimed at improving the functions of the underlying deficits.

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.