Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Former straight A Student - Now Mom
Experience:  Degrees in Eng., econ; JD (law), MBA, former valedictorian & winner of academic scholarship
2911261

Criminal Justice Major-Criminology Class Discussion Question:

Criminal Justice Major-Criminology Class

Discussion Question: I answered.....what I am looking for is your feedback- can you write what your response would be to may answers. I need to know if my answers would spark a response or continued discussion. See Below:

Part One:
Deviance can be described as a person's unwillingness to change or abide to rules or laws that exist for the functioning ability of today's society. However, each act of deviance behavior is not necessarily a crime.

Legally speaking, it is against the law to drink and drive under the influence of alcohol, especially knowing that this act of deviance can cause an catastrophic chain of events if speeding or having a accident.

From a political point of view, a powerful and persuasive congregation will collectively create laws that suppress those in a lessor position then themselves, causing deviant behavior almost inevitable.

Sociological prospectively speaking as stated by sociology guide: that to shoot and rob someone is clearly a violation of law, however wearing very short dresses that almost exposes someone's private parts is not a crime, but could be classified as a bad judgment call of one's morals. Many people socially react in deviant behavior by throwing a used tissue on the ground instead of in the trash, jaywalking across the street, or even eating the grapes at the grocery store before paying for them.

And finally, psychological views indicate when individuals have difficulties adjusting to harmonious environments causes the reaction of deviant behavior. Therefore we can conclude that within these four points of view, it is human behavior for people to routinely act abnormally, however that does not mean that a crime has been committed. Because if a law has not been legally implemented, no crime has been committed, regardless how bizarre the behavior.

Part Two:
Unfortunately, many crimes go unreported all the time, and for various reasons. Rape or sexual assault crimes might not be reported to the police for fear that the police will conclude somehow it's their own fault (by the way their dressed, or going out alone late at night, etc...). Or for other crimes that take place, a victim may be reluctant to report a crime to the police for fear of retaliation or further consequences that will damage the situation even more. And in view of the experience that a person goes through when they are devastatingly victimized, creates a social wall that sometimes even the importance of responsibility can't break through.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 2 years ago.

Jane T (LLC) :

Hi, I think your points are well made and do spark conversation. You provide a good discussion about what deviance is and what it is not and then compare and contrast it well to illegal behavior. The two sometimes are the same, but often are not. I also like the way you point out that a majority can easily abuse its power and make every thing they believe to be "wrong" illegal, not just deviant. What I would write back is that deviance is NOT just a person's unwillingness to change or abide by rules or laws for the function of society. Deviance is any act that society deems wrong for any reason. Deviance in one society, for example, is when people do not pray every day, wear head coverings, etc. Deviance, therefore, is often cultural, meaning each culture has its own definition of what is deviance. Also, a person can act in a deviant way not because he or she is unwilling to follow the rules, but because he or she may not know the rules or may be unable, due to his/her personal beliefs or due to illness or other personal problems from following the rules. We must be careful, therefore, when calling something deviant that we understand our understanding of what is deviant can be very different from that of others. Diversity, in fact, can create situations where many people mistakenly view others as being deviant but that belief may be very egocentric.

Customer:

Thank you very much....this is my first online class and I am not use to the way they are doing things! So, I appreciate your assistance!

Customer:

Would you feel up to looking at another one?

Experience: Degrees in Eng., econ; JD (law), MBA, former valedictorian & winner of academic scholarship