Chris12
Chris12, Teacher
Experience:  Resource Center Assistant, Researcher, Tutor
32242116

Hi Chris 12 I have been looking at some of your work on

Customer Question

Hi Chris 12

I have been looking at some of your work on the internet, and find that I am doing the exact project that you have helped someone else with... Could you help me with the same project?
Assignment is Exam # XXXXX with Penn Foster.
Do you keep a record of past work?
Sentence & Paragraph Writing

This is my Assignment I am taking medical Transcription course

Paragraph 1

Background

You've applied for a specific job in your field of study.The Human Resources Department
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.

Chris12 :

Hi, I do keep a record of past work. Please give me the entire assignment information so I can check my files, thanks.

Customer:

87

GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS

Read and complete the requirements for this examination only after

you’ve completed the previous study units.

Note:

Note:

E

xxaamiinnaattiioon

n

Writing Sentences and Paragraphs

EXAMINATION NUMBER

02800400

Whichever method you use in submitting your exam

answers to the school, you must use the number above.

If you don’t include this information at the top of each

page,

you’ll lose points in the format section; if you fail to include your name

and student number, your exam may not be processed for grading.

You can submit this exam online from your student page using

“Take an Exam,” or by regular mail using the attached answer sheet.

You can’t use Exam Express or Tel-Test for this exam.

1. Refer to your previous study units, the practice exercises, the

Writing Process Review, and the self-checks as you write your

exam paragraphs.

2. Refer to the Evaluation Criteria on the Answer Sheet to ensure your

exam paragraphs meet the criteria to the best of your ability.

3. Include the following information at the top of each page. To

ensure the information is on each page, use the Header option of

your word processing program (usually located on the View or

Insert menu).

Name Student Number (eight digits) Exam number Page X of Y

Mailing Address

E-mail Address

Example:

XXXXX XXXXX 12345678 02800400 Page 1 of 4

111 Education Drive, Any Town, PA 18515

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Customer:

88

Examination

4. Submit your examination in one of these two ways:

Submit the exam online. Note:

Save both parts of the examination in one Word document.

Then, go to your homepage and click Take an Exam. When you enter the full exam number,

you’ll be directed to browse for your saved document and to upload it for submission.

Do not

ASSIGNMENT

Purpose

This examination will give you practice applying all the writing skills you’ve learned in the first four

study units by developing two separate paragraphs of 8–12 sentences each.

Paragraph 1

Background

You’ve applied for a specific job in your field of study. The Human Resources Department arranges an

interview and tells you to bring with you a polished piece of writing for them to evaluate your writing

skills. The paragraph must describe one particular experience you’ve had that inspired you or guided

you to choose the type of position for which you applied.

Your audience is your potential employer and your purpose is to show you have thought carefully

about what and/or who has motivated you toward this career choice and why. In addition, you want

to convey your enthusiasm for this position as it relates to your inspiring experience. Take time to

think about what your audience wants to know and strive to reach a balance between informal and

formal business writing.

Process

1. Prewrite about your field of study and create a specific job for which you might want to apply

at a particular business or organization in your area. Outline what that position would look like.

Brainstorm details, names, titles, and facts to provide depth to your paragraph and enable you

to write a polished paragraph.

include your prewriting, drafting, or revising work.

Examination

2. Freewrite about the different experiences you’ve had that motivated you to choose your area of

study. Pick one on which to focus—one that triggers sparks of enthusiasm. Review your prewriting

and choose what’s most pertinent to the experience and position. Decide on an organizational pattern,

such as a chronological outline, and arrange those details into a logical, coherent flow.

3. Open a Word document and type the heading

Paragraph 1

. Begin your rough draft with the topic

sentence, in which you state the position and place, as well as your reason for wanting to be hired

as it relates to your inspiring experience. Develop the experience you organized in Step 2. Include

not only details about the one experience, but also show how that experience inspired you, particularly

as it relates the position for which you’re applying. Develop your paragraph using clear,

varied sentences containing concrete words and transitions or connectives to create a logical flow.

Show enthusiasm, yet maintain a somewhat formal tone.

4. Save this document using your name, student number, and exam number (Example: Jane Doe

12345678 028004).

Do not

try to revise or proofread this paragraph yet, but begin work on the

next paragraph.

Paragraph 2

Background

Your favorite cousin has moved to your town and is looking for a job. Her previous experiences are

working as a cashier and sales clerk at two department stores. You know she plans to apply at similar

stores in your town. But you also know she is a perfect match for a job opening as a reliable assistant

to your boss. You know she has the skills, though she doesn’t think she is as capable as she is, and

you’re sure she’d be good at this job.

Your goal is to persuade your cousin to apply for the job. You e-mail her a paragraph explaining the

specifics of the job and the reasons she should apply. You want to convince her that she has the job

skills required. You’ll use an informal tone, of course, but will take care to use correct business writing

to show her that you take your recommendation seriously.

Process

1. Using your imagination, create the kind of skills the job as boss’s assistant requires. Make up

names for your boss and the company, as well as any facts that might help you prove your case

to your cousin. Freewrite about the skills you’ve seen her show in other settings and about how

you can convince her to use those abilities in this position. In addition, consider personality traits

that show she would work well with your boss. Also make up details and figures about how this

job will benefit your cousin personally and professionally.

2. Circle the information your cousin most needs to hear to be persuaded to apply for this job. You

won’t be able to use everything you made up. Organize the details and explanation using an order

of importance pattern.

90

Examination

3. Open the Word document containing your draft of Paragraph 1 and begin a new page. Type the

heading

Paragraph 2

and draft your 8–12 sentence paragraph. Begin with the topic sentence,

in which you establish your confidence in your cousin and spark her interest in applying for this

job. Develop your paragraph using clear, varied sentences and concrete words with transitions or

connectives that create a logical flow. Use the information you’ve identified as most important and

make your paragraph as persuasive as possible.

4. Set aside this draft for a few days while you return to the first paragraph, revising it according

to the following instructions. Once you’ve revised Paragraph 1 into a polished product, do the

same with Paragraph 2.

Revising, Editing, and Proofreading

1. Print a clean copy of the rough drafts. First identify the topic sentence. Although you’ve learned

that in some paragraphs the main idea is understood, your assignment for each paragraph

requires you to establish your first sentence as your topic sentence. Rewrite the first sentence

to make it interesting and to flow clearly into the next sentence. Then check that every other

sentence in the paragraph directly develops and supports your first sentence. Cross out any

sentences in which you got sidetracked or started another major thought not directly necessary

to developing the topic sentence. Revise your paragraph so you fully develop your focus

with clear, logical reasoning. Develop further explanation or details as needed to fill any gaps.

2. Continue revising by comparing the end of each sentence with the beginning of the next. Be

sure you’ve included proper connectives to guide your reader from one idea to the next.

Restructure those sentences where you find a gap or break in flow because you shifted focus

or perspective.

3. Your next task is to start from the end of the paragraph and look at each sentence separately.

Does each one represent a complete thought or is it a fragment needing to be connected to

another sentence in some way? Does it contain two independent clauses running together with

only a comma between them? Correct the problems. Compare sentence length and structure

throughout the paragraph to make sure you’ve included some complex sentences. Check the

first five words of each sentence. Make sure you vary the opening to provide your reader with

variety. Remember that you must have 8–12 sentences in your paragraph.

4. Edit and proofread by applying the skills from all four study units, including word choice,

grammar, spelling, usage, and punctuation.

5. Prepare a final typed draft of each paragraph formatted according to the submission instructions.

Submit only your final draft of each in one Word document.

Do not

include your prewriting,

drafting, or revising work.

89

Mail the exam in the envelope provided or your own business-size envelope. From your computer,

type or print the exam on 8½-by-11-inch white paper. Attach the Answer Sheet to your exam.

5. Double-space your work and use Times New Roman font, size 12. After preparing a rough

draft, read the evaluation criteria and revise your work carefully, correcting any errors you find.

Make sure to spell-check and grammar-check your work, too. Submit only your final drafts.

You may submit your exam online only if you use

Microsoft Word. The school cannot process exams from Microsoft Works,

WordPerfect, or any other word-processing program. All others must be printed out

and mailed to the school.

Chris12, Teacher
Experience: Resource Center Assistant, Researcher, Tutor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did read it all... You asked for more information, right?

pp

Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I did. What is your field of study?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Medical Transcription
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.
What day and time do you need the assignment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thursday 7pm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thurs Jan 12,2012
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.

Okay, I'm on it. If I need anything else I'll contact you ASAP.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks

Signing off for now.

pp

Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi how is the homework coming along? Any idea how much longer you will take to complete?
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.
End of today, at latest tomorrow morning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will you e-mail it to me or where will I find it?
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.
It will be posted in this msg board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What?
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.

It was a means to close the question, everything you answer it shows you as active and possibly available for another expert to answer the question. As soon as I'm done I'll send you the link with the information.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't really know what you mean
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.
Everytime you respond your questions becomes open and I am required to answer back. If I don't answer back another expert is free to contact you and ask if you need help? Also, I can't respond to other clients while your reponse as not be answered by me. I hope that was more clear. When I'm finished I'll post it.
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome. If you need help again just let me know.