Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)

Electromagnetic Waves and Maxwells Equations

Customer Question

I am asked to turn in a two to three page paper that addresses the following topics. I will answer them in my own words! 1. (Rev 2/11) Describe, in a qualitative way, what Maxwell's Equations mean. Relate your discussion to the following simulation of an electromagnetic wave (See Background Information). Fendt, W. (1999). Electromagnetic wave (demonstration). Retrieved on March 1, 2008, from 2. (Rev 2/11) A hundred years before Einstein, Maxwell's Equations provided good evidence that the speed of light should be a constant with respect to all observers. How? 3. Explain how you could find the frequency of an electromagnetic wave if you know the wavelength and the velocity of the electromagnetic wave. For this exercise, you will investigate the operation of antennas. Antennas can both transmit and receive electromagnetic waves. You see antennas everywhere from portable radios and cell phones to radio transmission and cell network towers. In this laboratory, you will look at two types of antennas, a Linear Antenna (End-Fed) and a Linear Antenna (Center-Fed). Experiment with the simulation by changing the wavelength control (that is, the length of the antenna) and observe the changes in results. • Linear Antenna (End-Fed) shows the magnetic field near a half-wave linear antenna fed from one end. You can vary the length of the antenna using the "Length" slider. • Linear Antenna (Center-Fed) shows the magnetic field near a full-wave linear antenna fed from the center. You can vary the length of the antenna using the "Length" slider and you can vary the separation between the two halves of the antenna using the "Feed Separation" slider. In terms of results: The Show Intensity checkbox determines whether to show the wave intensity, or the waves themselves. When this is unchecked, the positive wavefronts are shown in green, and negative in red. Viewing the waves (instead of the intensity) only works well when zoomed in, using a low frequency; otherwise the individual waves are too small to see. The Show Graph checkbox shows the current distribution along the antenna (for linear antennas) or the excitation coefficients (for arrays). The phase is indicated using different colors. The Show Info checkbox can be used to turn off the information shown in the lower-right hand corner for some antenna setups. The Stopped checkbox stops the applet, in case you want to take a closer look at something, or if you want to work on something with the mouse without worrying about it changing out from under you. The Alternate Rendering checkbox is used to speed up rendering, but it actually slows things down on some machines. The Speed slider controls how far the waves move between frames. The Zoom Out slider zooms out when you slide it to the right. This slows things down quite a bit. The Resolution slider allows you to speed up or slow down the applet by adjusting the resolution; a higher resolution is slower but looks better. Also, increasing the resolution acts like zooming out. The Source Frequency slider controls the frequency of the signal. The Brightness slider controls the brightness, just like on a TV set. This can be used to view faint waves more easily. Click on link 1 to access the simulation. If you need the Java plug-in to view the applet, download the plug-in at link 2. (By the way, link 2 contains a lot of really cool applets.) Sources 1 and 2 below are listed as 7 and 8 on the list of required readings and sources in this Module's Background Information section. Write a two to three page paper discussing your observations in terms of what you learned about electromagnetic waves and antennas by comparing the results using the Linear Antenna (End-Fed) with the Linear Antenna (Center-Fed). Required Readings and Sources 1. Falstad, P. (n.d.) Antenna simulation. Retrieved on March 1, 2008, from 2. Falstad, P. (n.d.) Java plugin. Retrieved on March 1, 2008, from
Category: Homework
Expert:  akch2002 replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for asking me to reply these questions. I will look into these questions and let you know whether I can reply or not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. I am also willing to provide some compensation or bonus because I know the subscription might not be able to cover the cost.

Expert:  akch2002 replied 4 years ago.
It is day time here and I will try these problems today. Thanks.
Expert:  akch2002 replied 4 years ago.
I have gone through the description given about the simulation of electromagnetic waves and antenna. There is numerical problem. This seems to be a writing assignment about which I am not so confident. Kindly inform what you wish me to do.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry for the delay. I will go through the simulation again and let you know if I have any questions.

Expert:  akch2002 replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry for the delay. are you say the proble is not a numerical problem but written problem? there are two part to teh question; the first part adn the simulation part. Which one do you have questions with?

Expert:  akch2002 replied 4 years ago.
I will look into it and try to reply asap.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Thanks.
Expert:  akch2002 replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  akch2002 replied 4 years ago.
I have problem with describing the anteena part. I could simulate but don't understand what to write for anteena part.
What I could do is attached here with,
word file

If it is of some help, kindly inform me; I will enable answer option and you can accept.