Chris12
Chris12, Teacher
Experience:  Resource Center Assistant, Researcher, Tutor
32242116

rr-kas

Customer Question

Chris12/Writer2012/Due 1-4-2012/High Priority/Week 3 DQ:
Each DQ warrants at least 400 words count, and you must provide an example for each DQ question.

Must avoid plagiarism and write with your own words.

Need 4 References.

DQ 1 - Summarize the aspects of defensive and supportive climates as discussed in your text. Include in your discussion, the six factors that contribute to each climate. Discuss an example of when you experienced each climate.

DQ 2 - Discuss how group size, climate, and productivity relate to effective communications. Give an example from your own personal experiences that illustrates your point.

DQ 3 - Summarize the three word barriers. Discuss a time when you have encountered each of these barriers. What are some techniques offered in the reading to avoid these barriers?

DQ 4 - According to the reading, what is non-verbal communication and why is it so important in relation to effective communication? What role does it play in virtual communication?

Remember, there are more follow up questions.

All follow up questions only required 200 words count and a reference:

Follow up from week 2 / DQ 3 - Of the three types of roles reviewed in the initial discussion question, summarize roles that are discussed and give an example of a role you have held which appropriately demonstrates this role.

Follow up from week 2 / DQ 4 - Do you think there are times when more than one power base is exerted during the same interaction? If so, please discuss an example of when this might occur. If not, please explain why you think this cannot be done.

Follow up from week 2 / DQ 4 - What is the impact that the five power bases have on the relationships in small groups and teams?

Follow up from week 2 / DQ 4 - What are group norms? In your opinion as based upon the reading, what roles do group norms play in the establishment of power bases?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.

Chris12 :

What time do you need the questions tomorrow? What is the latest time they can be turned in to you?

Customer : Hi Chris, the sooner the better. Like tonight will be good, I also have other assignment that need you to handle it. Let me check my schedule and my team to see if we have any team assignment.
Customer : Thanks for your urgent feed back.
Chris12 :

You're welcome.

Chris12 :

Can you give me a time for tomorrow?

Customer : Ok, before 1pm pacific standard time.
Chris12 :

Thanks.

Chris12 :

D3 was not completed, I didn't have the necessary information from your text book.

Chris12 :

Climate can describe the feel of the company, it is also associated with the company's environment. Some companies are very strict and require suites, ties and formal communication between upper level management and the employees. Other companies are more laid back allowing the employees to wear causal clothes and the communication between upper level management and employees is informal. It must be noted that informal does not mean disrespectful. Perspective employees need to know the type of climate that a company functions under before applying for open positions. Clashes with the individual's personality and the business climate can result in early termination or resignation.

The climate of a business can also fall into the categories of defensive or supportive. A defensive climate is associated with upper level management and managers possessing a judgmental attitude toward the employees. There is a definite feeling of control and superiority. The dogma of the business will be followed or consequences will ensue. These types of business climates are stressful on the employees and the creation of trust and closeness is difficult. A defensive climate can be identified with six factors: evaluative, control, strategy, neutrality, superiority and certainty. Three of the factors have already been discussed: evaluative (judgmental attitude), control and superiority. Strategy, to make other follow a certain path with no room for derivative ideas. Neutrality, indifferent to everything but personal interests. Certainty, everything is in black and white - alternative views are not welcome (Ekroth, 2004).

My defensive experience was with a factory job over the summer when I was younger. Management wouldn't listen to the complaints the workers had about limited breaks, lack of of adequate heating and cooling. The company also expected a 10 to 12 mandatory work schedule for all employees during the summer months. No exceptions.

A supportive climate is the opposite. In this business environment upper level management and the managers work with the employees to solve routine problems. There is a sense of openmindedness and fairness. This business environment is less stressful on the employees and trust has been established. There are six factors that help identify a supportive climate: descriptive, inquiry orientation, spontaneity, empathy, equality and provisional. Descriptive clear statements without a hidden agenda. Inquiry orientation promotes teamwork and understanding concerning issues. Spontaneity allows others to speak their minds. Empathy responsive to the feelings of others, showing interest. Equality displaying the worth of additional viewpoints. Provisional makes it known that alternative views are welcomed (Ekroth, 2004).

My supportive experience came when I worked in a computer lab. My manager was always there for me to ask her questions. When she didn't know the answers she directed me to other managers that did. It was never a completion for power but rather a partnership so I could learn how to better do my job.

Ekroth, L. (2004). Defensive vs. Supportive Conversation: Some Critical Differences. Retrieved from http://www.hodu.com/supportive.shtml

Businesses operate on several levels one very important one being communication. The information that is collected and processed from various departments within the business needs to make its way to upper level management. It is important to remember that managers are not the only individuals that need to have this vital information. There are employees in various parts of the company that need to know what's going on. It's safe to say that effective communication is key in these situations. It is described as the information sent being received by the correct party and that party understands the meaning (Brown, 2011). The transmission of this information can be single sender, single receiver, single sender, multiple receivers, multiple senders, multiples receivers. Multiple senders to one receiver could result in a communication barrier.

When addressing communication in groups size, climate and productivity can either help or hinder effective communication. We have touched briefly on the size of the group when discussing the types of senders and receivers. In a group setting the combinations are most likely, single sender to multiple receivers, multiple senders to a single receiver or multiple senders and multiple receivers. The smaller the group the easier it is to send the information to the correct receiver and make sure that comprehension has taken place. A group of four or five people would be best. When the numbers increase to 10 and beyond additional tools like overhead projectors, microphones and other devices may be needed to convey the information.

We have already discussed climates and how they effect individuals. Defensive climates promote limited communication because there is a single person in charge. This individual expects obedience without question and alternative views are not welcome. Supportive climates place the upper level management, the managers and the employees on a level of mutual cooperation. Productivty is fueled by climate. When you trust the person or person you are working with or for it's much easier to get the job done. When I was the project manager in the mock project management assignment, it was important to me to keep everyone on the same page. I always made the other group members feel that their opinions mattered. Oddly enough at least two of the members didn't share my views. They thought that if you didn't have something worth while to contribute than you shouldn't be allowed to talk.

This was not conveyed openly in speech but rather displayed through group dominated conversations. These conversations left out or closed the doors to the views of those who were deemed less than productive.

Brown, B. (2011 April 26). What Is Effective Communication? Retrieved from http://www.livestrong.com/article/69309-effective-communication/

The sending and receiving of information is not only for business purposes it's also for everyday life. The methods used by senders to get the message to the receiver include: verbal, written and nonverbal. Verbal is the spoken form sending information from one party to another. Written means the words are penned to paper or typed out and then given to the other party. Nonverbal is the most interesting out of the types of communication and it can be the most misunderstood. Nonverbal communication incorporations body language and facial expressions in order to convey a message from the sender to the receiver. This can also include sign language (Goodwin, 2011).

Some classic nonverbal communication includes: folded arms, a frown, wrinkles in the forehead, rolling eyes, grunting, tapping on objects, shifting your weight and sneering. Folded arms signal the person is angry or upset perhaps even defensive. A frown means sadness or disapproval. Wrinkles in the forehead suggest anger, rolling eyes bordem, grunting disapproval, tapping on objects and shifting weight impatience. Sneering can mean anger or contempt. These nonverbal communication forms are typically viewed in American settings. Proximity is also a form of nonverbal communication. In their Japanese culture it is impolite to invade the personal space of the other party. When pleasantries are exchanged such as hand shake or business cards this is done on the outskirts of the personal boundary line.

If the nonverbal cues given from the sender to the receiver or vice versa are misinterpreted the meaning of the message is skewed? It is especially damaging in business proceedings. A deal can fall through because of the wrong nonverbal cue. Another area that makes effective communication difficult in terms of nonverbal is virtual communication. Virtual communication includes Skype, chat rooms, message boards, e-mails, etc. Skype allows people to have live interactions over great distances. It's possible to see your sender and receiver but it's still important to be aware of your bodily answers and responses to questions/statements. The other forms are done with words only and sometimes emotocons. Using all caps is considered shouting and it's very rude. The use of color and emotcons can have a negative impact as well as the font style and size.

Unless you know the other party really well, make the worded communication as simple as possible. Get the message across with as litter verbiage as possible and end the message.

Goodwin, T. (2011). What Is Non-Verbal Communication? Retrieved from http://www.ehow.com/video_4939826_what-nonverbal-communication.html?ref=Track2&utm_source=ask

Remember, there are more follow up questions. All follow up questions only required 200 words count and a reference: Follow up from week 2 / DQ 3 - Of the three types of roles reviewed in the initial discussion question, summarize roles that are discussed and give an example of a role you have held which appropriately demonstrates this role.

Everyone in a group has a part to play. The longer the group is together the easier it is to determine the roles being assumed by each member. There are three basic categories that group roles are found: task roles, group-building/maintenance roles and self-centered roles. Under task roles: coordinator connects the information from the group among each member, energizer stimulates the group, elaborators extends the meaning of ideas, evaluator/critic measures the groups work on high standards, information-giver gives helpful information, information-seeker demands clarification on matters withing the group, record keeper takes notes and procedural technician is responsible for the tasks. Group-building/maintenance roles: encourager gives positive feedback, follower accepts group decisions, compromiser looks for solution everyone likes, gatekeeper facilitates group participation, harmonizer reduces group conflict and observer evaluates the group's progress (PITT.edu, 2008).

Self-centered roles: aggressor combative to other group members, dominator takes over the speaking time, blocker does not cooperate, help-seeker avoids responsibility, loafer, doesn't work, special interest advocate seeks his or her own agenda within the group and self-confessor only presents self-important topics (PITT.edu, 2008). I've been the encourager before in the mock project management assignment when I was the project manager. The two individuals that split from the group were encouraged several times by me to express their feelings. It seemed that I was the only one listening but at least I was listening. I did what I could to keep the group together and motivate teamwork. As you already know eventually those two individuals left the main group but completed their portions of the assignment. I believe that if I hadn't continued to encourage them our project would have been incomplete.

PITT.edu. (2008 August 21). Roles in Groups. Retrieved from http://www.speaking.pitt.edu/student/groups/smallgrouproles.html

Yes, more than one power base can be exerted during the same interaction. If you think about the basis for the positional power base it already exists in all the power base forms? There's always a main individual that the others are looking up to or answering to. Their responses are either voluntary or involuntary depending on the circumstances associated with the situation. It might be difficult to have a group interaction with more than three power bases because of the distinct nature of each. It's possible to have a group interaction of positional, personal and reward. Another example would be positional, coercive and expert. Politicians and religious fanatics are two prime examples.

A religious fanatic by definition is someone with the positional power to speak to "god" and then tell others his message. These individuals usually have the type of personality that draws others to them automatically, which is the personal power. Once this individual has gained the trust of his or her followers, secrets and other private information is exchanged. The religious fanatic can use this information to strong arm the group into doing whatever, he or she demands or there will be unpleasant consequences. It's human nature to avoid punishment and seek after pleasure so it may not take much to sway these individuals (Barefootguide.org).

Barefootguide.org. Five Bases of Power. Retrieved from http://www.barefootguide.org/Chapter_3_Handouts/Five+Bases+of+Power+-+Handout.pdf

Power is one of the most important factors in our daily lives. It gives the individual or a group the means to enact changes and influence their environment. Total power is always a bad thing because the one or group that wields it has no one to answer to or keep accounts with. In the arena of power there are five bases: positional, reward, personal, expert and coercive. Position is simple if you are the one in charge than you have the power in most cases. Reward you can control another person or groups by offered an incentive for obedience. Personal is the ability to create interpersonal relationships by attracting other people. Expert power that comes from skills, knowledge and experience. Coercive the power to hold something over another person or group effectively manipulating the resulting behaviors and outcomes (Barefootguide.org).

Small groups and teams will always have a leader. This individual can promote success or initiate failure by his or her actions. The others will either follow or rebel based on the way the power is wielded. Reward can take on another face, bribe. Individuals in the group that don't want to put forth any effort could bribe at least one member to do the extra work. The price must match or exceed the desires of the target team or group member. Personal is typically associated with getting a desired outcome. If one group or team member is friends with the majority of the people within the inner circle than votes and decisions could be swayed in favor of that one individual? Expert these individuals take the reigns of power according to what they know and what they can do. Individuals are quick to concede their positions if they known someone has more experience. Finally, coercive basically blackmail. A team member or group member knows something on someone else and threatens exposure if the desired demands are not met.

In any of the above cases the team or group could fall apart, make wrong decisions or become more successful than anticipated. The power bases are like rolling dice there's an equal chance for success and failure.

When talking about norms that can be defined as the typical action expected from an individual or individuals. For instance when fall comes people tend to change their wardrobe from shorts and tie shirts to sweaters and long overcoats. This is normal expected behavior because the temperature changes from hot to cold. In terms of group dynamics norms are those characteristics that the members have developed and follow on a regular basis. Norms vary from group to group because the composition of the members is different. It is not uncommon for members of groups that are become detached from the initial group and join another group will take on the norms of the new group. It's even possible that norms from both groups can be mixed together, if it is found that they are compatible (Hahn, 2007).

The way a group normally functions can create a foundation for certain bases of power. Positional - student councils always have officers and then a president. The president makes the final decision. Groups with this structure and type of operation create positional power bases. A classroom is a group of individuals lead by the instructor. Rewards come in the form of good grades, bonuses points and sometimes the chance to skip on tests if the GPA is high enough. This behavior engenders reward power base. Personal is associated with the formation of friend groups. One person attracts other people through charisma and then a group is formed. Expert is formed in professions such as doctors, lawyers and law enforcement. These individuals have similar skills and often defer to the individual or individuals with the most knowledge and experience. Coercive is associated with illegal employees or illegal groups in general. The information that the higher ups have keeps the employees doing their jobs or consequences will ensue.

Hahn, M. (2007 April 4). Group Norms in Organization. Retrieved from http://en.articlesgratuits.com/group-norms-in-organizations-id1546.php

Customer :

Chris, Here is the information for the DQ 3:

Customer :

Please response back with an answer AS SOON AS YOU CAN.

Customer :

Words as Barriers to Communication

Words are the tools with which people make sense of the world and share that sense with others. Although words can empower people and can influence attitudes and behaviors, they can also impede a process. Speech communication gives individuals access to the ideas and inner worlds of other group members, but it can also—intentionally or unintentionally—set up barriers to effective communication.

If you grew up in the United States, you can probably remember chanting defensively,

“Sticks and stones can break my bones but names can never hurt me.” Even as you uttered these lines you knew you were using a lie to protect yourself. People often unwittingly communicate in ways that threaten others and make them feel defensive.As noted in Chapter 5, when group members feel a need to protect themselves, they shift their attention from the group’s goal to their own personal goal of self-protection, thus creating a barrier to effective group process. Some subtle but pervasive word barriers are (1) bypassing, (2) allness, and (3) fact-inference confusion.

Bypassing The meanings of the words you use seem so obvious to you that you assume

those words suggest the same meanings to others.Nothing could be further from the truth.

Bypassing takes place when two people assign different meanings to the same word.Many words are open to an almost limitless number of interpretations—consider, for example, the words love, respect, and communication. Similarly, you may know precisely what you mean when you say that the department’s account is “seriously overdrawn,” but how are others to interpret that? How serious is “seriously”?

According to some estimates, the 500 most frequently used words in the English language have over 14,000 dictionary definitions. Considering that a dictionary definition reflects only a tiny percentage of all possible meanings for a word and that people from different cultures and with different experiences interpret words differently, it is amazing that people can understand one another at all.

In groups, the number of people involved compounds the problem; the possibility for

multiple misunderstandings always exists. This possibility points to the importance of good feedback among group members. Feedback is any response by listeners that lets speakers know whether they have been understood accurately. To overcome word barriers, people must understand that words are subjective. They need to check that what they understand from others is really what those others intend.

Throughout our discussion of the power of verbal messages,we invite you to keep one

important idea in mind: You are not in charge of the meaning others derive from your

messages.Meaning is created in others.1You do not determine what other people think, and words do not have meaning in and of themselves.

Allness

Allness statements are simple but untrue generalizations. You have probably

heard such allness statements as “Women are smarter than men,”“Men can run faster than women,” and “Football players are stupid.” These statements are convenient, but they simply are not accurate. The danger of allness statements is that you may begin to believe them and to prejudge other people unfairly based on them. Therefore, be careful not to overgeneralize; remember that each individual is unique.

Fact-Inference Confusion Statements of fact can be made only after direct observation. Inferences can be made at any time; no observation is necessary.

Fact-inference confusion occurs when people respond to something as if they have actually observed it, when in reality, they have merely drawn a conclusion. The key distinction between a fact and an inference is that in statements of inference people can speculate about and interpret what they think occurred. Suppose, for example, that you hear someone comment, “Men are better than women at math.” If this statement were true, it would mean that all men and women were tested and that the results indicated that men are better in math than women. The statement is, in reality, an inference. If the speaker is summarizing research that has investigated the issue, he or she should say, “Some studies have found that . . .” rather than “It’s

a fact that . . . .”The first statement more accurately describes reality than does the second. Like bypassing and allness statements, fact-inference confusion can lead to inaccuracy and misunderstanding.

WORD BARRIERS AND HOW TO AVOID THEM

BARRIER

Bypassing

Allness statements

Fact-inference confusion

DESCRIPTION

Occurs when the same word is used to mean different things

Simple but untrue generalizations

Mistaking a conclusion you have drawn for an observation

APPROACH

Use specific language; be aware of multiple interpretations of what you say; clarify.

Don’t overgeneralize; remember that all individuals are unique.

Clarify and analyze; learn to recognize the difference between fact and inference, and communicate the difference clearly.

Customer :

Thank you.

Customer :

Chris, Did you received my information on the DQ 3 ???

Chris12 :

Yes, I'm on it.

Customer :

Thanks for your response and I have a few more follow up questions. It only required about 200 words count and a reference for each one.

Customer :

Follow up from week 3 / DQ 1 - Being in a business setting, we will or have come across a variety of communication climates. Understanding how to navigate in a negative environment will allow you to have improved communications at various levels within your organization. What are some strategies that are discussed in your text which will help you to successfully communicate in a defensive climate?

Follow up from week 3 / DQ 1 – We have all experienced a negative climate at some point in our personal or professional lives. A disconfirming response usually results in such a climate. Name and briefly describe three of the seven categories of disconfirming responses discussed in the text.

Follow up from week 3 / DQ 1 - A positive climate is generally the result of affirmative or confirming responses. According to your text, there are five categories of confirming responses. Briefly describe three of the five categories of confirming responses discussed in the text.

Customer :

Follow up from week 3 / DQ 2 - As your text indicates, we are always communicating something, whether it is contentment, irritation, tiredness. These, and other emotions, are conveyed through non-verbal communication. In your own words, name and explain Ekman and Friesen's five categories of nonverbal communication. Give an example of each category from your experience.

Follow up from week 3 / DQ 2 - Regardless as to the medium (real world/face-to-face or virtual/online) we convey information in a nonverbal manner. From a group perspective, understanding the dynamics of nonverbal communication is just as important as the verbal aspects of the interaction. In other words, what isn’t said is just as important as what is said. Explain three reasons, as discussed in your text, why nonverbal communication is important to small group communication.

Follow up from week 3 / DQ 2 - Have you ever had an interaction with a person or persons and the discussion went in a way you hadn't intended? Inevitably, you were left thinking, how did this conversation go so far off-track? Discuss an occasion where one of your non-verbal communications conveyed an unintended message.

Chris12 :

Okay, what time tomorrow?

Customer :

Anytime tomorrow, but it would be nice if you get them done within today.

Chris12 :

The exchange of information from one party to another is crucial in everyday functions. Hindrances to this information flow can result in misunderstandings, delayed plans and in some cases the lose of profits. There are several types of communication barriers which include sender issues, the environment in which the information travels and the willingness to receive the information. The sender's mode of transmissions such as conversation may take on a negative tone if the sender is using nonverbals also which muddle the message. The sender might want to convey a serious message but a sarcastic smirk may lead the receiver to believe the message is of light importance. In terms of the environment there could noise, bad lighting or interference such as another person entering the conversation (Communicationtheory.org).

The receiver has a significant role to play in the communication process as well. The message could be misinterpreted due to lack of interest and no confirmation feedback. Additional barriers to consider are language, interpersonal and word. When thinking about language it's usually the native language clashing with the non-native language of the speaker and the receiver. It can also be interpreted as language use such as slang. Every nation has a type of slang language embedded in their formal language. Using this type of undertoned language can cause much confusion. Interpersonal manifests due to people's differences. For example Mark doesn't like people from India because he thinks their accents are too thick. He spends as little time as possible communicating with his Indian co-workers but spends large amounts of time with the America co-workers (Importanceofcommunication.org).

Words are the building blocks of sentences that help to create different forms of spoken and written communication. Words help a person describe his or her environment and how they are related to it. In the communication realm there are three word barriers that make this exchange difficult: bypassing, allness, and fact-inference confusion. Bypassing is the process of not paying attention to what is being said because the words used make the receiver assume he or she knows the exact meaning of the words and thus where the conversation is going. Two people can interpret the same word to have a different meaning in the same conversation. This word barrier occurred during a conversation with one of my friends. We were talking about a piece of artwork when my friend stated he thought it was really sick, it as an abstract painting. I thought he didn't like it because I associated sick with gross. In fact he really liked the painting and wanted a copy of it. To avoid these types of situations various interpretations of the word should be explored and

Allness are simple but untrue generalizations such as blondes are dumb and nerds are zit faced. High school is the ideal place to hear this type of barrier especially from the popular kids. The one I heard the most was hot chicks are easy. I had actually witnessed this with a few of the prettier girls in school but gossip circles are normal. The best way to avoid this barrier is to remember that people are unique individuals. Fact-inference confusion deals with two parts: the fact made from observations and inferences made without any proof. This happens when people make inferences about events that have not been personally witnessed stating them as facts. The statement has been made several times in my life that women are more emotional than men. I knew a girl named Kelly who witnessed a fatal car accident. She was able to keep her composure and contact the police. The best way to avoid this barrier is to clarify and analyze the information. Recognize the difference between fact and inference, make sure the difference is communicated clearly.

Communicationtheory.org. Physical/Environmental Barriers. Retrieved from http://communicationtheory.org/physicalenvironmental-barriers/

Importanceofcommunication.org. What are Some Common Barriers to Communication. Retrieved from http://www.importanceofcommunication.org/barriers-in-communication/

Customer :

Chris, please don't forget those follow up questions at above.

Chris12 :

I didn't forget them.

Chris12 :

Follow up from week 3 / DQ 1

- Being in a business setting, we will or have come across a variety of communication climates. Understanding how to navigate in a negative environment will allow you to have improved communications at various levels within your organization. What are some strategies that are discussed in your text which will help you to successfully communicate in a defensive climate?

A defensive climate can be described as a stifling environment where growth is impeded because of the perceptions given by upper level management. These managers are judgmental, have an air of superiority and strive to control everyone in the business environment. It's a case of I'm better than you most likely because of the position the managers. Also those in power positions tend to believe that everyone in their sphere of influence is under their control which is true but they don't have total control. Every employee has free will and the right to exert that free will. In these types of business environments the employees don't trust management and sometimes their coworkers which results in a more difficult work climate.

There are at least two ways to transform a defensive environment into a supportive one. First, monitor oneself - be mindful of your speaking habits and get rid of behaviors that make others defensive against you. Be stable, show empathy, listen carefully and follow instructions. Once we begin to change we'll find that the situation itself will become improved. Second, agreeing on helpful guidelines. When individuals come together to share information there's always the chance that everyone's voice won't be heard. In order to eliminate this members should take turns talking. Creating these parameters before the meeting reduced wasted time and future conflicts (Ekroth, 2004).

Follow up from week 3 / DQ 1

- We have all experienced a negative climate at some point in our personal or professional lives. A disconfirming response usually results in such a climate. Name and briefly describe three of the seven categories of disconfirming responses discussed in the text.

Negative work climates produce reduced productivity, increased absences and low morale. The managers are the authority figures who's responsibility is to manage the resources given to meet the company's quota for the day. People are not robots, their individual feelings and needs must be addressed daily. Personal and interpersonal issues can cause conflicts within the company among the employees. This can lead to punishments such as suspensions, probation and sometimes termination. In any of these cases the company is losing profits and may even lost customers along the way. Communication barriers such as misunderstandings and disconfirming responses contribute to the business environment problems.

There are seven disconfirming responses but only three will be addressed here. These are verbal silence, nonverbal indifference and turning away. Verbal silence means either the sender or the receiver fails to provide feedback. It's like your boss asking you a question and you don't answer. Nonverbal indifference equals a blank expression or no nonverbal response at all. This signals to the other person that you really don't care and possibly that you are annoyed with his or her presence. Turning away is one of the most harsh because it's a physical response like walking away during the conversation. This most likely occurs when two people are angry with each other and the other party has nothing to say in return. In business settings any of these non-responses can cause conflicts between mangers and mangers, managers and employees and between coworkers (Iastate.edu).

Iastate.edu. Disconfirming Behaviors/Responses. Retrieved from http://www.public.iastate.edu/~mredmond/confirm.htm

Follow up from week 3 / DQ 1

- A positive climate is generally the result of affirmative or confirming responses. According to your text, there are five categories of confirming responses. Briefly describe three of the five categories of confirming responses discussed in the text.

Positive climates are created from the sense of worth that the employees receive from each other and from upper level management. Everyone is needed to make the company function properly. It's true that management has a higher ranking but without the employees no work would be accomplished. These business environments have a bottom top philosophy which allows communication to travel in both direction from managers to employees and vice versa. This way the managers get a complete picture of how the company is working on a daily basis. Trust is formed between the mangers and the employees, it's also considered a learning environment. Trust, learning and cooperation equal growth.

There are five confirming categories that help with positive business environment creation but only three will be addressed. These categories are expressions of direct interest, nonverbal confirmers and statements of genuine concern. Expressions of direct interest is feedback requesting clarification or additional information about the subject. Nonverbal confirmers consists of good eye contact and responsive facial expressions. Statements of genuine concern show you value others in a genuine way. In these types of environments conflicts are reduced, morale is high, absences are few and productivity is high as well (Iastate.edu).

Follow up from week 3 / DQ 2

- As your text indicates, we are always communicating something, whether it is contentment, irritation, tiredness. These, and other emotions, are conveyed through non-verbal communication. In your own words, name and explain Ekman and Friesen's five categories of nonverbal communication. Give an example of each category from your experience.

Our everyday lives are shaped by internal and externals factors. These factors contribute to the way we communicate with other people. The state of person's health and mental status also contribute to the way that we communicate and react to others and our environment. One of the most powerful forms of communication is nonverbal. The way a person's faces looks, the way a person stands or how far away that person stands says volumes. The message conveyed at the time by the nonverbal communication can completely overshadow the true message the sender was trying to give or the feedback from the receiver. For example: a mother who has worked all day may quickly glance at her child's artwork and get back to unloading the car. The child may feel the mom doesn't care but the mom is tired and really like the work but couldn't stop to show it.

According to Ekman and Friesen there are five categories of nonverbal communication: emblems, illustrators, adapters, regulators and affect displays. Emblems are the exact meaning of the body language. I remember being in class once and each student had 10 minutes to give a presentation. Each student that went over the limit would get the finger crossing the throat symbol from the instructor, basically they were done - even if the presentation was not. Illustrators depict verbal meaning. When you want someone to be quiet but you can't directly tell me, putting your finger to your lips is effective. Adapters help release bodily tension. This is most commonly seen when people exhale during conversations. Regulators control or coordinate the interaction - looking at someone or not looking at someone is associated with your attention. Lack of attention during a conversation will most likely kill it. Affect displays are presentations of feelings, slamming your book down on the table is a definite indication of anger or frustration (Oregonstate.edu).

Oregonstate.edu. Nonverbal Communication Theories. Retrieved from http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/comm321/gwalker/nonverbal.htm

Follow up from week 3 / DQ 2

- Have you ever had an interaction with a person or persons and the discussion went in a way you hadn't intended? Inevitably, you were left thinking, how did this conversation go so far off-track? Discuss an occasion where one of your non-verbal communications conveyed an unintended message.

My friend Jeremy was having a really hard time at home. His older sister was constantly fighting with his step mother and his father. She was 18 now and didn't really wan to live in the house with her step mother anymore. These feelings had been building up over the course of many years because her mother was constantly saying bad things about the woman. Anyway, one day Jeremy's sister got into a physical fight with the step mother and his father wasn't home. There were no long lasting physical injuries simply bruises. His father decided it would be best for his sister to go live with their mother since she could not abide at home with the rest of the family. It turns out that the mother didn't want the sister coming to live with her. She preferred seeing her daughter on a set schedule. The resulting situation was Jeremy's sister ran away from home.

The day that Jeremy told me all this I hadn't had a good night's sleep and was finding it difficult to process the regular events of the day, not counting his major situation. I was unresponsive because I was trying to process his information (Iastate.edu). At least three weeks past before I saw him again and he completely avoided talking to me or even looking my way. It was another three weeks before I finally caught up with him and asked him what the problem was. He simply stated that he didn't want to spend time with people that didn't care about his life. I asked him to explain and he simply said my sister's situation seemed to bore you. I had to correct the situation by telling him what happened to me the night before. My explanation didn't really make a difference because I haven't really spoken with Jeremy since that day.

Chris12 :

This question was not completed because I didn't have all the information need:

Follow up from week 3 / DQ 2

- Regardless as to the medium (real world/face-to-face or virtual/online) we convey information in a nonverbal manner. From a group perspective, understanding the dynamics of nonverbal communication is just as important as the verbal aspects of the interaction. In other words, what isn’t said is just as important as what is said. Explain three reasons, as discussed in your text, why nonverbal communication is important to small group communication.

Customer :

Thanks for your information Chris.

Customer :

Just re-activate the question.

Chris12 :

Okay. Any assignments for this week.

Customer :

Starting this Tuesday I will have more assignments to be post. So please check your chat areas and the forum more often.

Customer :

I have accepted your answer.

Chris12, Teacher
Experience: Resource Center Assistant, Researcher, Tutor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Chris,

I just posted a new question and I need your immediate attention. Please take over ASAP since I will have many more new post.

Looking forward to your feed back and this is very URGENT.

Regards,

Customer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris,
Did you received my urgent messages???
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris,

I just posted three new questions, please take over as soon as possible.

Best,

Customer

Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.

Okay.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

VERY VERY URGENT...

I need you to take a look at the other post. You did not provided the information for the DQ1 and DQ2. They are NOT the same questions. Please review that post and I will be waiting for your answer. The DQ1 and DQ2 are due today before 12 pm California time. Since time are not on our side so please make it quick. 200 words count will be good.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris,

Please check the main post and reply back to my four post.

This is very URGENT since some of the assignments are due within this week and I have not recieved your answer yet.

Regards,

Customer

Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.
Understood.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your feed back.
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.
Welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Chris,

This is very important and urgent.

Please check these posts, because I need the answer by Sunday.

Chris12/Homework/Due 1-14-2012/High Priority/Emotional Intelligence - Paper Write a 700 to 1,050 words paper. (I need the Emotional Intelligence Paper).

Chris12/Due 1-12-2012/High Priority/Conflict Management/Collaboration Quiz - Week 4 (Can you find out the answer for questions 21 - 24) ?

Chris12/Due 1-11-2012/High Priority/Week 4 DQ: (I need those 8 follow up questions to be answer).

Kind Regards,

Customer

Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.

I'll get it to you today. Had a problem with my main computer so had to switch to my backup.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ohh Chris,

Please try to fix that problem immediately, because next week we will have a lot of assignments to do.

Again Thanks.

Customer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you almost done with the Emotional Intelligence paper ????
I need you to let me know so that I don't get worry.
URGENT URGENT URGENT
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris
Why you did not reply back to my urgent messages?
I was waiting for your answer on the EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE paper.
The paper will be DUE TODAY before 10 pm California Time.
I need your IMMEDIATE ATTENTION to this matter.
I will be checking for your answer continuously throughout the day.
Regard,
Customer
Expert:  Chris12 replied 2 years ago.
Update: I'm still not up and running yet. I hope you get some quality experts to fill in until I get my situation resolved. Again my apologies and I will keep you posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you provided me a quick answer on the DQ assignment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Chris12,

Can you able to provide me this answer?????

$$ Bonus $$ / I Need An Experts Fast / Due 1-19-2012 /

$$ Bonus $$/Writer2012/Tutors and Teachers/Due 1-18-2012/High Priority/Week 5 DQ:

Each DQ warrants at least 300 words count, and you must provide an example for each DQ question.

Please send me your feed back ASAP.

Regards,

Customer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Chris,

Are you up and running again?

Please look for my new questions on Tuesday or Wednesday. Please let me know if you are ready.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Chris,

I just posted a brand new question, please take over immediately. I need this question to be answer by Wednesday (1-25-2012).

This is High Priority and Urgent.

Sincerely yours,

Customer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Chris12,

I just wanted to ask you, are you MAD or ANGRY at me?

If you do, please accepted my apology. Since we have been working together for a long time and I love the way you provided the information and answer. Please forgive what I did or said before and could you reply back to my urgent messages. I would love for you to handle all of my new questions, because you knew what I needed and when I needed it.

I am looking forward to your urgent feedback.

Sincerely yours,

Customer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris12,

Are you ready for more questions? If you are, please review my two brand new questions and if it possible can you take over these two questions IMMEDIATELY.

I am looking forward to your status or comments.

Kind regards,

Customer