proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator
Experience:  UCLA graduate. Advanced degrees in English and Education.
49595756

Please help me think through the following before my next visit

Please help me think through the following before my next visit to my doctor (a psychiatrist)
Issue: patient access to medical records and process notes (for psychiatric patients) is restricted. This is what is being done. The laws have a loophole for this. I have been checking. And, when I request my records from previous psychiatrists, they deny access, they send summaries, short summaries instead. Here is my situation: I want to see my psychiatric record and my doctor’s process notes (psychotherapy notes). I want full access. What is my current doctor going to say about my record and her notes? I really want full disclosure, but I suspect I won’t get it. Here is what I am going to say: what do you think of this situation?
I will try the following:
1. You (my doctor) could say to me: these are my notes. You keep your notes about me, and I don’t get to see them, and I keep my notes about you, and you don’t get to see them. (But there is still a problem. There is still a difference. She is not being professionally observed. I am under observation. Therefore…)
2. After 4½ years, I want to understand, learn, know more – from what you see about/in me. Can you honestly sit there, look me in the eye, and tell me, honestly, that I know everything you are saying in your notes? Is there anything, anything at all, that I don’t know? I want to know everything. How would you feel – via empathy – how would you feel, if you were in my shoes? Would it be okay for me to watch you, study you, analyze you, and then keep my conclusions a secret? Would that be acceptable? Of course not.
3. I us, together, to go through sections of your notes – and not just selections you approve because they are less “sensitive.” I want full disclosure. You demand it, expect it of me. So I should expect it from you. How would you feel if I came to your office and announced that I would share only 50% of my situations with you? You might say: okay, your loss. But I don’t do that. Don’t do that to me.
4. We are supposed to be equals – with mutual respect! You have said this over and over again. How can we possibly be equals if you keep information hidden from me?
5. Look, I respect you. I have a great deal of admiration for you, as you know. So please respect me. Help me learn about me. I have more than just a burning desire, as a professor, to know as much as possible. I have more than that. I have a clear, indisputable, right to know.
6. I care what Dr. (x) has said about me. I don’t really care as much about what Dr. (y) says about me. But this is different! You are different. My interaction with you has been on a much deeper, longer, and more profound level.
7. I have a Ph.D. from Columbia University. I am as educated as one can be. You must respect me. Please don’t insult me and don’t treat me like an inferior.
Category: Homework
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. What is your main question? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks - I am asking things like:

How can I persuade my doctor to share all the information with me?

Does my case here sound convincing?

Do you agree with my logic?

What should I say?

Is this the right approach?

Ok...now we are on the same page

:)
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
proexpert37, Educator
Experience: UCLA graduate. Advanced degrees in English and Education.