FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer, Accountant and Researcher
9968427

Andersen works for the public relations department of Sigma

Andersen works for the public relations department of Sigma Sales Company. His job includes putting a "good face" and a positive "spin" on the company's successes as well as its failures and shortcomings. In this context, "ethics" mainly consists of
Answer

Machiavellianism

Aristotle's Virtue Ethics

Plato's conception of a "just" organization

"Revealed" higher truths.
Which statement is correct about the employment at-will doctrine in the United States?
Answer

It has been abrogated by federal statute.

Employers can fire at-will, but by federal law they are required to pay severance based on employee pay and length of service.

It can result in a legal but immoral discharge.

It never applies to minorities since they cannot be discharged pursuant to the Civil Rights Act.

Which of the following are reasons for changing moral standards in the workplace over the past several decades?
Answer

The communications "revolution"

Growing environmental problems and an awareness thereof

A proliferation of women and minorities in the workplace

All of the above.

Today, critics of the corporation argue for various corporate governance reform proposals to improve the legal, moral, and socially responsible behavior of the corporation. Which of the following is the most convincing argument FOR these proposals?
Answer

Corporate managers should never have any duty other than to maximize profits for the shareholders

Market forces invariably operate to deter any corporate misbehavior

Existing law already establishes clear standards for what is and is not moral corporate behavior globally

These corporate governance reform proposals will help the company to act in a moral manner, especially when the law is silent or vague as to the legality of an action.

When one's company is considering using nudity in an advertising campaign to sell a product in Italy, any moral issue could be best resolved for the company by using what ethical theory?
Answer

Ethical relativism

Kantian ethics

Utilitarian ethics

Natural Law ethics.

As chief executive officer for Consolidated Industries, Inc., Stephanie engages in personal activities and business activities on and off the firm's premises. Compared to personal activities, business activities involve
Answer

Higher ethical principles since business is generally immoral and not "above the law"

Lower ethical principles due to the well-known fact that business is all about profits

The same fundamental ethical principles

No ethical standards since most business people are amoral anyway.

The Sophists, who were known as respected teachers in ancient Greece, became vilified through time, and now have the negative words "sophist" and "sophistry" associated with them, because:
Answer

They emphasized that there was no universal truth in morality, ethics, justice, and religion.

They placed an emphasis on debate, rhetorical skills, and argumentation regardless of any underlying truth.

They were known as the first business consultants and emphasized making money and securing power by whatever means necessary, and then getting good publicity for being socially responsible.

All of the above.

Which of the following is true about modern business corporations?
Answer

The societal expectation is that a corporation should just make money legally and not worry about the local community or society.

Since the corporation is not a real person it can never be judged from an ethical point of view.

The corporate vice-president of ethics has the power to veto what he or she considers as immoral corporate actions, but the veto can be overridden by a two-thirds vote of the board of directors.

None of the above.

Corporate ethics codes and ethics departments today are:
Answer

Usually required for all corporations by Congressional legislation in the United States.

In the long-term ethical egoistic interest of the corporation.

Indications to the corporation's stakeholders that it is committed to moral behavior.

B and C.

Which of the following statements is true?
Answer

Ethics focuses on the way in which ethical principles apply in making moral determinations in life.

Ethics is not concerned with the way moral rules are derived.

The immoral conduct of corporate management is not likely to affect the behavior of lower level employees.

Ethical codes of conduct cannot help to set the ethical tone of a firm.
Category: Homework
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the new questions.

I am happy to answer these questions if you are able to submit and accept them in separate threads
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1)Andersen works for the public relations department of Sigma Sales Company. His job includes putting a "good face" and a positive "spin" on the company's successes as well as its failures and shortcomings. In this context, "ethics" mainly consists of
Answer
Machiavellianism
Aristotle's Virtue Ethics
"Revealed" higher truths.

2)Which statement is correct about the employment at-will doctrine in the United States?
Answer

3)Which of the following are reasons for changing moral standards in the workplace over the past several decades?
Answer
The communications "revolution"
All of the above.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer, Accountant and Researcher