1. Nt = N0 lt represents: (Points: 5)
annual growth rate.
geometric population growth.
exponential growth rate.
2. An annual plant when initially colonizing an area will probably demonstrate: (Points: 5)
3. The exponential population growth equation can be used for: (Points: 5)
populations with overlapping generations.
populations experiencing continuous growth.
populations with nonpulsed reproduction.
all of the populations listed above.
4. Density dependent factors include all of the following EXCEPT: (Points: 5)
5. Human populations are clumped on a large scale with the greatest concentration in: (Points: 5)
6. If the age distribution diagram is bottom heavy or pyramidal in shape, this indicates that the population is: (Points: 5)
7. If the age distribution diagram is bell shaped or the number of individual in each age class is evenly distributed, this indicates that the population is: (Points: 5)
8. If the age distribution diagram has the smallest concentration of individuals in the bottom portion or is considered to be an urn shape, this indicates that: (Points: 5)
the population is stable.
the population is declining.
the population is growing slowly.
the population is growing rapidly.
9. A polymorphic locus is one that: (Points: 5)
codes for more than one protein.
codes for both protein and lipid.
occurs in a population as more than one allele.
occurs on more than one chromosome.
10. The number of eggs laid by a female is called her: (Points: 5)
11. A "forb" is a(n): (Points: 5)
fish species living in the open ocean.
bird species having offspring independent at a young age.
plant species with woody tissue.
herbaceous, but non-graminoid, plant species.
12. The "K" in "K-selection" comes from the: (Points: 5)
ecologist who coined it, Astrid Kodric-Brown.
shape of the age-vs.-mortality-rate plot for K-selected species.
"K" in the logistic growth equation.
Greek letter "kappa," symbolizing fecundity.
13. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic favored by K-selection? (Points: 5)
Low intrinsic rate of increase
Many, small offspring
Repeated bouts of reproduction
14. Which of the following environments for germinating seed is most likely to favor a plant species that makes many small seeds, compared to one that makes fewer larger seeds? (Points: 5)
Competition from established plants
15. "Riparian" refers to plant communities occurring: (Points: 5)
in the tropics.
at high altitudes.
along the edges of deserts.
in transitions between riverbanks and upland areas.
16. The study of the relationship between climate and the timing of ecological events is called: (Points: 5)
17. __________ show more variation in life history traits than any other group. (Points: 5)
18. Turner and Trexler found a __________ relationship between egg size and __________ in the darter populations that live in rivers and streams of central North America. (Points: 5)
positive; gene flow
positive; egg number
positive; female size
negative; gene flow
19. Westoby, Leishman, and Lord found that on average, __________ produce the largest seeds. (Points: 5)
climbing plants and vines
20. Which of the following are characteristics favored by K selection? (Points: 5)
Small body size
I am not sure if I can get to these today, I some other previous requests. I'll try to answer by tomorrow (12/08) if that meets your deadline.
I just sent you new postings. The deadline is 6:30 PM EST.
Thank you very much,
Would you be able to help me with essay writing?
Thanks for the request. Unfortunately, I don't generally do essay writing. It would be best to post your assignment in the Writing sub-category of Homework. Good luck on your paper!