Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)

Grief Brothers Corp., a steel drum manufacturer, owned and

Customer Question

Grief Brothers Corp., a steel drum manufacturer, owned and operated a manufacturing plant in Youngstown, Ohio. In 1987, Lowell Wilson, the plant superintendent, hired Youngstown Security Patrol, Inc. (YSP), a security company, to guard Greif property and “deter thieves and vandals.” Some YSP security guards, as Wilson knew, carried firearms. Eric Bator, a YSP security guard, was not certified as an armed guard but nevertheless took his gun in a briefcase to work. While working at the Grief plant on August 12, 1991, Bator fired his gun at Derrell Pusey, in the belief that Pusey was an intruder. The bullet struck and killed Pusey. Pusey’s mother filed a suit in an Ohio state court against Greif and others, alleging in part that her son’s death was the result of YSP’s negligence for which Greif was responsible. Greif filed a motion for a directed verdict. What is the plaintiff’s best argument that Grief is responsible for YSP’s actions? What if Grief’s best defense? Explain. [Pusey v Bator,XXXXX3d 275, 762 N.E.2d 968 (2002]

Remember to justify your answer using information from your reading and be sure to:

Discuss the elements of independent contractor.
Discuss whether or not an employer would be liable for the torts/criminal acts of an independent contractor

Read more: Grief Brothers Corp., a steel drum manufacturer, owned and - JustAnswer
Category: Homework
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, you can cancel. Thanks