asciandwildlifebio
asciandwildlifebio, Graduate Student
Experience:  M.S. Bio, B.S. in Animal Science and Wildlife Biology. Comprehensive Spanish Written and Oral Skills
9201161

Explain the four factors that produce changes in population

Explain the four factors that produce changes in population size?
Which factors affect population size in the video?
What do you predict will happen to the nutria population after the land is depleted of the nutrias' food resource?

200 to 300 words

This is about the Nutira that was brought from South America to Louisana.

JOHN WILEY AND SONS

CONTACT: TOM KULESA, MEDIA EDITOR
AUTHOR: LINDA R. BERG
TITLE: VISUALIZING ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
CHAPTER: CHAPTER 7: ALIEN INVASION
SOURCE: ALIEN_INVASION.MP3
LENGTH: 4 MINUTES

[00:00:04.00]
They call them “nutria.”

[00:00:09.00]
Can’t believe this is what all the fuss is about. Do not be fooled by the fluffy appearance.

[00:00:15.00]
They may be cute as guinea pigs. But because they’re not native to Louisiana, they’re wreaking environmental havoc. It’s something that has happened before, in other places.

[00:00:30.00]
When brown tree snakes were introduced on Guam, they ate up the island’s birds. African killer bees are now in the Americas, and they’re overwhelming their New World cousins.

[00:00:46.00]
And the Bayou State’s own bullfrogs are eating almost everything in Arizona.

[00:00:58.00]
But Louisiana’s nutria may be the worst alien invader yet.

[00:01:09.00]
Full grown, they eat a quarter of their body weight each day. And you’d be amazed at how well-suited they are to this habitat. With webbed feet like a duck, they’re terrific swimmers.

[00:01:26.00]
Like any aquatic, aquatic animal, all their sensory organs – the ears, the eyes, and the nose – are all in a line right at the top of the head. Which means they can sit just under the surface.

[00:01:36.00]
These voracious vegetarians use their front feet for digging and for grabbing almost anything green and edible in sight. And as for those big orange teeth, well, imagine what teeth like that, multiplied a million times, can do to a landscape like this. And that’s the problem.

[00:01:58.00]
In some areas nutria feeding activity can completely remove or denude the surface of the marsh of all vegetation.

[00:02:06.00]
Now, this looks a little bit like a chicken pen, but this is part of your studies here, isn’t it. What’s it – what’s it telling you?

[00:02:11.00]
Well, we basically excluded nutria from this small area here.

[00:02:15.00]
So without nutria, this whole area we see around us, what looks like a rather neatly trimmed lawn, would look like that.
[00:02:21.00]
Right.

[00:02:24.00]
Can you just...

[00:02:25.00]
Step down. Don’t worry, I’m not going to jump overboard.

[00:02:28.00]
You can just see how fragile this is, about a...

[00:02:29.00]
It’s just like a skin. It’s like a big, thick skin.

[00:02:30.00]
It’s about a six or eight-inch mat that’s sitting on top of an organic ooze layer. And when the root matter of this mat is destroyed, it becomes very susceptible to storm breakup or a heavy rainfall.

[00:02:45.00]
Year after year, nutria gobble up hundreds of wetland acres, leaving only water where once there was land. The problem is getting worse because nutria breed like rabbits. In three years, one female can give birth to 40 young. And when her babies are just six months old, they’ll be ready to have babies of their own. It doesn’t take an Einstein to do the math.

[00:03:20.00]
END
Category: Homework
Expert:  asciandwildlifebio replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
asciandwildlifebio, Graduate Student
Experience: M.S. Bio, B.S. in Animal Science and Wildlife Biology. Comprehensive Spanish Written and Oral Skills