Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

Categorizing Fallacies

Customer Question

Categorizing Fallacies • Resources: Appendix 2: The Top Ten Fallacies of All Time, Ch. 5 & 6 of Critical Thinking, and Appendix C • Due Date: Day 7 [Assignments link] • Complete the fallacy matrix in Appendix C.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xiy7aasyo442o4g
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are these original answers or have they been used before?
Expert:  Chris M. replied 5 years ago.
These are my own answers. I researched the fallacies and I believe these are the best matches. Let me know if you have any differing answers.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Chris M. replied 5 years ago.

After your reply, I reviewed the answers and I believe there are better matches for some of the fallacies. The problem with this quiz is that there doesn't seem to be obvious, clear examples for some of the fallacy types. However, given the choices that you have, I believe the following would be the best possible answers.

Fallacy Type

Fallacy Statement

Ad hominem/genetic

7. I don't care if she is the top psychiatrist in the state! Her theory on sibling rivalry is extreme. How can we believe anything she says if she subscribes to theories of that nature?

Wishful thinking

15. Sure, I've heard that it's better to not eat cheeseburgers every day,

but it's extra protein and protein is good for you

"Argument" from popularity

12. From a conspiracy theorist: "Come on, everyone knows that the government has lied to us in the past. This case isn't any different."

Hasty generalizing

9. My friend, who goes to college in another state, said girls from that sorority are mean. That girl we just met, Tracy, is from the same sorority, so I don't trust her.

"Argument" from outrage

11. From one mom to another: "I can't believe Shelia lets her kids watch that garbage! I always knew she wasn't very strict. Now our kids will be over there watching that junk, too!"

Straw man

8. From one politician about another: "He's a two-faced, liberal, anti-family, anti-values idealist!

Post hoc

13. If it weren't for the president's environmental policy, we wouldn't be dealing with these environmental catastrophes.

Red herring/smokescreen

10. From a teenager confronted by his parent about breaking curfew: "Why do we have to keep harping on this curfew thing? Let's talk about that A grade I'm getting in algebra."

Group think

14. It's disgraceful that a member of the Elks Lodge would go out to fast food restaurants every night. The Elks believe in family values, including home-cooked meals.

Scare tactics

2. On a radio ad: "Have you been fatigued, irritable, moody? If these symptoms are ignored, you might become depressed or even suicidal! Ward off the blues by taking a pill proven to cheer you up. Millions of people have, and they're glad they did!"

Poisoning the well

4. You're going out with Carron? Well, she's a nice person, but I hear her last relationship was a wreck! I'd be careful if I were you.

Apple polishing

1. It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most.

Guilt trip

6. Stomachache or not, how could you not eat your dinner after I spent all that time making it!

Perfectionist fallacy

5. About an already-attractive home interior: "I don't know why we started this home renovation if we're only doing two of the rooms. Either way, it won't look right unless we redo the entire house."

Inconsistency ad hominem

3. From a study group member: "I just don't get it. One minute she says she's coming, and then the next, she calls to cancel. I wonder if we can trust that the articles she submitted are what we need!"

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Chris M. replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome!