Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

Identify any examples of fallacies

Customer Question

Identify any examples of fallacies in the following passages. Tell why you think these are fallacies, and identify which category they belong in, if they fit any category we’ve described. Letter to the editor: “Andrea Keene’s selective morality is once again showing through in her July 15 letter. This time she expresses her abhor- rence of abortion. But how we see only what we choose to see! I wonder if any of the anti-abortionists have considered the widespread use of fertility drugs as the moral equivalent of abortion, and, if they have, why they haven’t come out against them, too. The use of these drugs frequently results in multiple births, which leads to the death of one of the infants, often after an agonizing struggle for survival. According to the rules of the pro-lifers, isn’t this murder?” — North-State Record . In one of her columns, Abigail Van Buren printed the letter of “I’d rather be a widow.” The letter writer, a divorcée, complained about widows who said they had a hard time coping. Far better, she wrote, to be a widow than to be a divorcée, who are all “rejects” who have been “pub- licly dumped” and are avoided “like they have leprosy.” Abby recognized the pseudoreasoning for what it was, though she did not call it by our name. What is our name for it? Letter to the editor: “Once again the Park Commission is considering closing North Park Drive for the sake of a few joggers and bicyclists. These so-called fitness enthusiasts would evidently have us give up to them for their own private use every last square inch of Walnut Grove. Then anytime anyone wanted a picnic, he would have to park at the edge of the park and carry everything in—ice chests, chairs, maybe even grandma. I certainly hope the Commission keeps the entire park open for everyone to use.” “Some Christian—and other—groups are protesting against the placing, on federal property near the White House, of a set of plastic figurines rep- resenting a devout Jewish family in ancient Judaea. The protestors would of course deny that they are driven by any anti-Semitic motivation. Still, we wonder: Would they raise the same objections (of unconstitutionality, etc.) if the scene depicted a modern, secularized Gentile family?” From a letter to the editor: “The counties of Michigan clearly need the ability to raise additional sources of revenue, not only to meet the demands of growth but also to maintain existing levels of service. For without these sources those demands will not be met, and it will be im- possible to maintain services even at present levels.” In February 1992, a representative of the Catholic Church in Puerto Rico gave a radio interview (broadcast on National Public Radio) in which he said that the Church was against the use of condoms. Even though the rate of AIDS infection in Puerto Rico is much higher than on the U.S. mainland, the spokesman said that the Church could not support the use of condoms because they are not absolutely reliable in preventing the spread of the disease. “If you could prove that condoms were absolutely dependable in preventing a person from contracting AIDS, then the Church could support their use.”
reference reading:
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is my response from my instructor:

You missed five out of six identify fallacy questions. Focus on the following
fallacies: Ad Hominem (Inconsistency), Straw Man, Begging the Question and
False Dilemma (perfectionist fallacy). The fallacies listed above represent
the appropriate responses for the six questions.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.

Hello Customer,

I am very sorry. The response seems to indicate that only four fallacy types are used for the six question. Is this your understanding? If you have any more information (e.g., which ones are incorrect), I'll try to help you correct these.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He will not tell me which ones are correct or not. I just have to the end of today to correct them for partial credit.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.

Hello Customer,

Personally, I think you should ask for a little more time and a little more feedback. I'm not even sure if the instructor means that for each passage there is one fallacy to be noted or more than one. I took this as an assignment that would have a little more leeway and subjectivity in grading than say, the maching fallacies exercise.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its ok, I just reviewed it and turned in a new one so hopefully it is correct now.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
Okay, good luck on your revisions!