Kathy
Kathy, Teacher
Experience:  Elementary teacher for 16 years Bilingual Spanish English and with a Psychology Masters

1. One of the reasons why voter turnout is lower in the United

1. One of the reasons why voter turnout is lower in the United States than in Western European countries is that: (Points: 5)
Americans pay less attention to politics.
U.S. registration laws place a greater burden on the individual.
the U.S. population is not as well-educated.
Europeans must pay a huge fine if they fail to vote.

2. Voter registration in the United States: (Points: 5)
was introduced as a means of keeping white males without property from voting.
applies to voting in general elections but not primary elections.
has been a device by which officials have discouraged some groups from voting.
has vastly increased voter turnout.

3. The frequency of elections in the United States reduces voter turnout by: (Points: 5)
discouraging local politicians from playing an active role in presidential election.
creating more complex registration requirements.
focusing too much attention on state and local elections.
increasing the personal effort needed to participate in all elections.

4. Regular voters are characterized by: (Points: 5)
a strong sense of alienation which motivates them to try to change government.
a strong sense of civic duty.
a desire to use government as a vehicle to help other Americans rather than themselves.
a strong sense of independence which motivates them to try to defeat incumbents.

5. Citizens in ________ are most likely to volunteer time and money to promote community causes. (Points: 5)
Germany
France
Great Britain
the United States

6. Which of the following is an INACCURATE statement about Americans’ exposure to news? (Points: 5)
The Internet’s news content is the main reason why people make use of the Internet.
People who follow the news closely are generally better informed about politics than those who do not.
Young people are less likely than older people to follow the news closely.
Americans today are getting their news from a wider variety of sources than they did a few decades ago.

7. A broad effort to achieve change by citizens who feel government is not responsive to their interests is called: (Points: 5)
a social movement.
a voter upsurge.
a citizen lobby.
a popular resistance.

8. When it comes to protest activities, a majority of Americans are: (Points: 5)
actively involved at one time or another in their lives.
willing to contribute through financial support but not through active participation.
not highly supportive of such activities despite America’s tradition of free expression.
supportive of violent activities if the cause warrants such an approach.

9. Political participation among Americans can best be described as a ________ activity. (Points: 5)
futile
middle-class dominated
female-dominated
working-class dominated

10. The first American political parties emerged from the conflict between: (Points: 5)
slave states and free states.
the older Eastern states and the newer Western states.
business and labor.
the interests of small landholders and those favoring commercial and wealthy interests.

11. XXXXX XXXXX’s contribution to the development of political parties was the: (Points: 5)
forging of a coalition of Democrats and Whigs.
formation of a grassroots party—one with local organizations and open to all eligible voters rather than just elite leaders.
formation of the Federalist party.
formation of the Republican party.

12. All of the following are characteristics of a realigning election EXCEPT: (Points: 5)
sharp divisions between the parties.
major policy initiatives by the winning party.
a very close electoral result.
the disruption of the existing political order.

13. Prospective voting is characterized by: (Points: 5)
a sudden shift in the vote from one party to another.
choices based on party loyalty.
choices based on government’s performance.
choices based on an awareness of the candidates’ positions on various issues.

14. The major reason for the persistence of the American two-party system is: (Points: 5)
there are naturally only two sides to political disputes.
regional conflict.
its single-member-district system of electing officeholders.
proportional representation.

15. Proportional representation systems like those in Western Europe encourage the formation of smaller parties by enabling parties to: (Points: 5)
win legislative seats even though they do not receive a majority of votes in elections.
receive campaign funds from government in proportion to their support in opinion polls.
win legislative seats by lottery for parties that have no chance of winning majority support.
share in patronage appointments which serve as an incentive to lure campaign workers.

16. A main reason for the decline of party-centered politics is: (Points: 5)
the irrelevance of parties in a technological age.
a weakening of state governments relative to the national government.
the development of public opinion polls as an alternative means of discovering public sentiment.
the emergence of candidates as the main attraction in media-centered election campaigns.

17. American party organizations: (Points: 5)
are about to die out.
are more powerful today than at any time in history.
are still important, but their role in campaigns is secondary to that of candidates.
are unimportant in the political system today.

18. The greatest blow to the organizational strength of U.S. parties was: (Points: 5)
the national convention.
the direct primary.
Jacksonian democracy.
the emergence of PACs.

19. About 95 percent of all campaign activists in the United States work at: (Points: 5)
the national level.
the state level.
the local level.
Republican and Democratic party headquarters.

20. Candidate-centered politics is characterized by all of the following EXCEPT: (Points: 5)
door-to-door canvassing.
television advertising.
direct-mail fundraising.
opinion poll analysis.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Kathy replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Kathy, Teacher
Experience: Elementary teacher for 16 years Bilingual Spanish English and with a Psychology Masters