1. Which of the following is part of the abiotic environment of an organism? (Points: 5)
2. Decomposers: (Points: 5)
are unimportant links in a food web.
recycle organic to inorganic compounds.
cause disease and destruction.
require a source of light energy.
3. Most of the processes that influence the hydrologic cycle are: (Points: 5)
4. In the carbon cycle, the two primary processes that remove and add carbon dioxide to the atmosphere are: (Points: 5)
predation and parasitism.
carnivores and herbivores.
sunlight and photosynthesis.
respiration and photosynthesis.
5. __________ convert nitrogen gas to nitrogen that plants can use. (Points: 5)
6. What an animal uses for food is part of its: (Points: 5)
None of these answers is correct.
7. Species A and species B both benefit by living together. This is an example of: (Points: 5)
8. The biome with the fewest seasonal changes is the: (Points: 5)
temperate deciduous forest.
tropical rain forest.
boreal coniferous forest.
9. If a forest fire destroys a region of the forest, then a: (Points: 5)
secondary succession will occur.
primary succession will occur.
climax community is present in the burned area.
10. If an animal cannot digest a chemical but is able to pass out all of that chemical as waste material, there is: (Points: 5)
11. Gene flow is: (Points: 5)
used for comparison purposes when numbers of organisms or size of organisms would lead to confusion.
the optimum number of individuals of a species that can survive.
the movement of genes within a population from place to place resulting from migration.
the graphic expression of increasing or decreasing numbers.
12. A population does not change in size during the __________ phase. (Points: 5)
13. When a limiting factor becomes more important as the size of the population increases, it is known as: (Points: 5)
a biotic potential.
a density-independent factor.
a density-dependent factor.
an intrinsic factor.
14. The carrying capacity of an area for a plant is most likely maintained by: (Points: 5)
the accumulation of waste products.
the availability of raw material and energy.
a constant birthrate.
a low biotic potential.
15. The carrying capacity of an area can be reduced if there is too much: (Points: 5)
All of these answers are true.
16. Instinct differs from learned behavior in that instinctive behavior: (Points: 5)
does not change; learned behavior does.
is acquired; learned behavior is genetic.
is adaptive; learned behavior is not.
17. Insight learning will help: (Points: 5)
a wolf learn imprinting.
protect an insect from being eaten by a bird.
teach a bird how to fly.
a student select the correct answers on an exam.
18. Territorial behavior always involves: (Points: 5)
communication between members of the same species.
huge investments in time and energy.
19. __________ is a method of ranking individuals from highest to lowest. (Points: 5)
Territorial behavior analysis
A dominance hierarchy
20. Behavior in which an individual animal gives up an advantage or puts itself in danger to aids others is called: (Points: 5)
I'll try to get to these is the A.M., talk to you later!
Sorry, I had an emergency this morning and wasn't able to answer by 8:30. Let me know if you still need help on these. I got your post of the other quiz.
Let's make the deadline by 1:00 PM EST on all posts.