Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

sociology100

Customer Question

5) Ethnocentrism can be seen as having different effects depending on the theory that is being used to look at it (explain it). One theroy sees ethnocentrosm as the tendency to assume that one’s own culture and way of life represent the norm or is superior to all others. Therefore, ethnocentrism fosters cohesion in the superior group. This observation would best reflect which sociological theroy? A. functionalist perspective B. conflict perspective C. interactionist perspective D. feminist perspective 6) According to Charles Horton Cooley’s concept of the looking-glass self, individuals come to understand themselves by: A. resolving their parent-child conflicts. B. engaging in impression management. C. adopting the image of how others view them D. engaging in anticipatory socialization 7) If researchers wanted to examine the opinions of people listed in a city directory, they might call every tenth or fiftieth or hundredth name listed. This would constitute a type of: A. scale B. control variable. C. generalized sample D. random sample. 8) Which sociological theory would likely contend that the role of the mass media is predominantly controlled by large coorporations and therefore has an agenda...suppporting its own interests over other interests of the general population? A. functionalist perspective B. conflict perspective C. interactionist perspective D. feminist perspective 9) The race of a criminal offender is associated with the frequency with which capital punishment is administered. In this example, capital punishment would be considered the: A. hypothesis. B. independent variable. C. dependent variable. D. index. 10) Sociologists view all common sense truisms as being incapable of being supported by empirical data. A. true B. false 11) The concepts of statuses and roles : A. prevent information overload B. make relative strangers predictable C. are derived from structural functional theory D. all of the above E. none of the above 12) The basis for stating "that compard to other animals only humans can truly experience guilt or shame" is supported by the condition that at this point in history, empirical analysis and sociological theory indicates that only humans: A. have the capacity to learn a complex language B. only humans have the capacity to maintain a self concept or self image C. only humans have a mind D. all of the above E. Only a & b 13) Ideology is another word or concept for sociological theory: A. True B. False 14) Which is the dependent variable in the following statement "The researchers examined the relationship between age, gender, driving record, and texting while driving." A. Age B. Gender C. Texting while driving D. Driving record 15) Which sociological perspective is especially interested in ascribed statuses, because they often confer privileges to a dominant group or reflect a person’s membership in a subordinate group? A. structural-functionalist approach. B. social-conflict approach. C. symbolic-interactionist approach D. social-exchange approach 16) A sociologist studies how a teacher’s attitudes toward particular students affect students’ performance. Students of similar abilities who are “teacher’s pets” perform at a high level, and students who are viewed as “troublemakers” perform poorly. This would illustrate which explanation of deviance? A. anomie theory. B. labeling theory. C. structural-functionalist approach. D. differential associati
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for the question.

5. A. functionalist perspective

6. C. adopting the image of how others view them

7. D. random sample.

8. B. conflict perspective

9. C. dependent variable.

10. B. false

11. D. all of the above

12. B. only humans have the capacity to maintain a self concept or self image

13. A. True

14. D. Driving record

15. B. social-conflict approach.

16. B. labeling theory.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Initially i pasted all these questions through 40, some arent included because i have them answered... but when i got the price i thought it was for the whole post... the answers i see are just to 16..

21) The “world capitalist economy” is:
A. Karl Marx’s view that the bourgeois nations such as England would dominate the proletarian nations such as India.
B. Erving Goffman’s view that world peace would result from many types of nations interacting with one another.
C. Talcott Parsons’s view that the inequality that exists among nations is necessary for world stability.
D. Immanuel Wallerstein’s view of the global economic system as divided between certain industrialized nations that control wealth and developing countries that are controlled and exploited.

22) A research measure that provides consistent results is considered:
A. valid.
B. reliable.
C. an index.
D. a scale.

23) Ethnocentrism (also in question #5) is the tendency to assume that one’s own culture and way of life represent the norm or are superior to all others . This feeling of superiority can encourage behavior that fosters cohensiveness in the group as well as justify why they should acquire more valued rsources in competing with other groups. Ironically, this statement could support two of the follwing theories at the same time
A. structural-functionalism
B. social-conflict approach.
C. symbolic-interaction approach.
D. A & B
E. B & C

24) Which of the following terms do conflict theorists use when referring to the growing role of medicine as a major institution of social control?
A. Medicalization
B. The sick role
C. Medical labeling
D. Epidemiology

25) The view that the media in a country is predominantly owned by large corporations or a dominant political party.. and therefore can control and filter information to the public that benefits its own interests would be a perspetive supporting symbolic interaction theory.
A. True
B. False

26) Uriel Foa's defiinition of human aggression: "The intention of one person to take away a resource from another person without the latter's permission" is an example of a conceptual definition for studying human aggression.
A. True
B. False

27) Sociological studies have indicated that people who are married are less likely to commit suicide than people who are divorced. In this example, marital status is a (an):
A. hypothesis.
B. independent variable
C. Dependent variable
D. Random Vraiable.

28) The Zimbardo prison study, the Ash conformity study and the Milgram obediance study were similar in that they revealed latent personality charcteristics in us all.
A. true
B. false

29) Zigmund Bauman in his Chapter titled Us & Them used the term "the imaginary us" in his discussion of
A. The out-group as a mirror
B. Ideals we'd like to believe about our in-group but at the same time we assume they are false!
C. Patriotism
D. all of the above

30) There is an on-going argument in society over whether same-sex couples should have the right to get married. If that right is passed in favor of gay marriage then what will actually be changed in the larger community or culture according to Babbie's agreement system culture is:

A) A belief
B) a value
C) a norm
D) all of the above

31) In applying a type of economic exchange theory to understanding behavior, Foa's definition of aggression as "the intention of one person or group to take away a resource from another person or group " is an example of :

A)a conceptual definition
B)an operational definition
C) a common sense definition
D) all of the above

32) In Milgram's famous obedience study, a behavioristic definition of aggression was implemented using variations of shock inflicted by one subject against another subject to measure the degree of aggression. This measure is an example of:

A)a conceptual definition
B) an operational definition
C) a common sense definition
D) all of the above

33) Durkeim's use of the concept of anomie in explaining variations in suicide between different groups is based on the strength or vulnerability of one's agreement system at any one time. This agreement system is especially reflected in one's
A) religion,
B) state of matrimony
C) employability
D) all of the above
E) Only A & B

34) The Fore' children shared a condition with Harlow's monkey's, especially the infants with the cloth covered fake mothers (as opposed to the bare wire mothers with only a nipple). This common condition was profoundly expressed in one of Erikson's early stages of development.. particularly the challenge of _______ their envrionment.
A) initiative vs. gilt in
B) trust vs. mistrust of
C) autonomy vs. shame in
D) industriousness vs. Inferiority in

35) Before his death Marx is quoted as saying "Im am not a Marxist!" In fact, he was referring to a French poliictical party that was distorting his theory for their own benefit. This happens a great deal in history and is an example of distinguishing :
A) a scientific theory form a hypothesis
B) a scientific theory from a concept
C) a scientific theory from an ideology
D) a scientific theory from research

36) The manner or acting function of stereotypes is analogous/similar to Piaget's concept or process of assimilation!
A) True
B) False

37) If we break down the history of human subsistent levels into 60 minutes we would find that approximately human-kind were hunters and gathers for the first 58 minutes and in the last two minutes we went through horticulture & pastoralism, agriculture, industry and post industrialism. During the first 58 minutes the human population on the earth was very small. Consequently the first 58 minutes accentuated human relationships that tended to favor ____ over ______for human survival for most of our existence.
E) Competition
F) Cooperation

38) Along with shame & guilt, love and embarrassment were not listed as one of the six primary emotions! Symbolic interaction theory might suggest that the latter two emotional experiences are connected to having a
A) Mind
B) Self
C) Language
D) All of the above

39) In Lemert's labeling theory of deviance primary deviance is considered to be temporary most of the time and others may normalize it…that is, initial rule breaking may not establish a deviant identity in the public's eye until a public official or specialist makes the label stick.
A) True
B) False

40) Along with labeling theory the young man who exposed himself to the mother & child n Portland may have done so because members of his peer group would have approved of his behavior. This example represents :
a. Merton Strain theroy
b. Hirschi's control theroy
c. Sutherland's Differential Association Theory
d. None of the above

Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I'll post the rest of the answers shortly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great, thank you very much for working with me.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. The other Bauman chapter I use in this course (as well my Individual & Society course) is "Self Preservation and Moral Duty". This chapter definitely has been a useful addition in several of my sociology courses because it puts some other theories and the history of socio-cultural-economic evolution into perspective. Very often ideologies tend to approach the world as either/or types of dichotomies. More often these may actually represent the opposite ends of a continuum. So it may well be with the socio-economic positions taken in the world today. For this mid-term question I want you to tie in Bauman's main theme in his chapter to the assigned chapter reading you read on "Ideology" by xxxxxx C. Levin! (This is the chapter that discusses the Prindle study on the screen actor's guild.) What is that connection?
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Before moving forward, what about the answers for the multiple choices exam? I haven't received an "accept" for those yet.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I accept that prior to moving forward?
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

Yes, as a rule I would not want to begin to answer an additional question with a previous answer still pending. If you choose to accept the previous answer, I would need a few additional details concerning the last question. When is the deadline and what is the required length of the response.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand. The last question is due today and length is that of a short essay.
Accepting previous answer now.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
I checked to see if I could find enough info on the last question to adequately answer, and I honestly can't find much to go on. It is a little too text-specific for me to attempt. I see that you have another post of this question, so hopefully one of the experts will be able to assist you. Good luck!