Chelsea
Chelsea, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  5 years of experience in tutoring
44576366

This question is for Chelsea Why is the direction of the

This question is for Chelsea

Why is the direction of the wave contraction so important in the heart?

Reference please

Maria

Chelsea :

Hi, I'll have the answer to you momentarily!

Customer:

thank you

Chelsea :

Here you go!

Chelsea :

The heartbeat is governed by an electrical conduction system that produces efficient, wave-like contractions of the heart muscle. These motions propel the flow of blood in the single direction that it must move through the cardiac system in order to effectively provide oxygen to the body. This wave contraction as part of the heartbeat is critical to the heart and blood flow because it propels the blood—if it were to contract backwards, or not be an organized contraction, as can happen in arrhythmia and heart failure, then the blood does not move forward out of the heart and the blood will not move effectively to reoxygenate tissues. The wave contraction is the mechanism of action for the heart to pump blood, and its single direction is important to effectively propel the blood.

Reference:

Cardiovascular Consultants. (2006). Physiology. Retrieved from: http://www.cardioconsult.com/Physiology/

Customer:

Thank you I got one more for you. One question will you be online all day?

Chelsea :

I will be working all day, short of occasionally stepping away from my computer I will be online all that time.

Customer:

thank you