Bibliotherapy
Bibliotherapy, Tutor
Experience:  Offering general homework help in all subjects(PreK-College).

14. In the paragraph about adolescence, the thesis is best

Customer Question

14. In the paragraph about adolescence, the thesis is best suggested
A. in sentences 1 and 3.
B. in sentences 3 and 4.
C. through an implied topic sentence.

D. by what the reader decides about the actual nature of adolescence.
15. In which sentences of the paragraph about adolescence do you find a transitional word
or phrase that shows a time connection?
A. Sentence 3 C. Sentence 6
B. Sentence 4 D. Sentence 7

16. Your topic is courtesy, and you’re writing from the point of view of a caring mentor.
Which of the following sentences is most persuasive for an audience of high school
graduates from a working-class neighborhood?
A. Courtesy to others shows self-respect as much as it does respect for others.
B. Courtesy is the oil that lubricates the machinery of discourse.
C. Remember that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
D. Courtesy yields profits to the impecunious as well as to the wealthy.

17. As a general rule, where in your essay is it best to place your thesis statement?
A. Anywhere at all, since the best thesis statement is implied, not specified
B. In the first, introductory paragraph of the essay
C. In the second or third paragraph of the body of the essay
D. At the end of the essay, as part of the conclusion

Questions 18, 19, and 20 are based on the following excerpt from an essay. The sentences
are numbered to help you respond to the questions.
(1) After Sean was arrested for breaking into a pawnshop, I began to wonder. (2) Why did
some kids from my neighborhood end up in trouble while most of us didn’t? (3) I started
out with a question: What causes young people to make bad choices? (4) Now, after two
years of research, I’ve arrived at the conclusion that there is no simple answer. (5) There
is no one reason why good kids go bad, but there are typical reasons.
(6) According to my research, teenagers are most likely to get into trouble if they hang
out with a bad crowd. (7) That’s because people learn their values from the people they
associate with. (8) So a very big reason for bad behavior is imitating one’s peers. (9) But
there are other important factors as well. (10) Kids who get in trouble are often school
dropouts. (11) Also, kids being raised by a single mother are more likely to get in trouble
than kids raised in an intact family. (12) Substance abuse also plays a role, especially
when it comes to alcohol and legal or illegal drugs.

18. What method of organization is used by the writer?
A. Most-to-least C. Chronological
B. Spatial D. Least-to-most

19. In which sentence or sentences do you find the thesis statement in this excerpt?
A. 2 C. 4 and 5
B. 3 D. 5

20. Sentence 7 of the excerpt is an example of
A. an opinion. C. a supporting explanation.
B. random evidence. D. a conclusion.

21. Which of the following statements best identifies a learning style that’s creative, verbal,
and independent?
A. Cameron loves to diagram the different aspects or meanings of an idea.
B. Loren writes poetry because she enjoys experimenting with words to evoke emotions.
C. Karen loves sorting out facts, especially when she can help her classmates visualize
them in novel and interesting ways.
D. Bart enjoys sitting in public places with his brother analyzing people, especially
when he is trying to come up with a plot for a short story.

Questions 22 and 23 are based on the following excerpt from an essay.
I’ve never actually met a real live humorist. Well, not in person at any rate. However, one
summer, having a lot of time on my hands, I discovered unexpected treasures lurking in
the local public library. Among the nuggets I unearthed in those musty stacks was a book
by humorist Robert Benchley. To this day I remember one of his quips. He wrote, “There
are two kinds of people in this world; those who divide the world into two kinds of people
and those who don’t.” After laughing out loud, I became pensive. I wondered why the quip
was so funny. A year or so later, I formed a theory. Humor is based on the unexpected.

22. In the passage above, the topic sentence and the thesis are one and the same.
What makes the last sentence effective as a thesis statement?
A. Specific detail C. Assertion
B. Simplicity D. Humor

23. In the paragraph about Robert Benchley, what types of evidence does the writer
use to support his thesis, other than narration?
A. Example C. Comparison and contrast
B. Historical background D. Classification

24. To narrow a general topic you’ve selected, which pair of techniques is most likely
to be effective?
A. Freewriting and questioning
B. Using a branching diagram and consulting your journal
C. Questioning and choosing an issue that interests you
D. Branching diagram and questionin
Category: Homework
Expert:  Bibliotherapy replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.