Owen
Owen, Attending Physician
Experience:  I teach medical students and residents with title of Asst. Professor

Give a detailed description of the possible hormone

Customer Question

Give a detailed description of the possible hormone changes that may result from a tumor on the pituitary gland.
Category: Homework
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Don't feel like waiting
Expert:  Dr.K.S.Dastoor replied 2 years ago.
Hi. what is the age, sex, and symptoms of the patient?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have that information professor did not provide it. Will you still be able to help me.
You have to divide it into tumours of the anterior and posterior pituitary.
Usually pituitary functional adenomas affect the anterior pituitary.

You will need to look for levels of
ANTERIOR PITUITARY

growth hormone
Thyroid stimulating hormone
ACTH
LH
FSH
Prolactin

POSTERIOR PITUITARY

Oxytocin
ADH
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry can you go into better detail the sex is a female I don't have her age and she had a tumor on her pituitary gland, and after removal, she had jaw reduction surgery.
That would be a female with a growth hormone secreting tumour.
The jaw protrusion is called is called prognathism.
It is due to a pituitary adenoma, secreting Growth hormone, developing in the later part of life, after fusion of the epiphysis.(i.e. after 18-21 years) i.e. the disease was not present in childhood (unless the female is tall.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need this question answered better go into better detail
Expert:  Owen replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
What type of tumor - that would make it a lot easier to answer - otherwise there are 'books' written on this subject matter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a tumor of the pituitary glands. The question is to give a detailed description of the possible hormone changes that may result from a tumor on the pituitary gland. Will you be able to help me?
Expert:  Owen replied 2 years ago.
The tumors are numerous - I would be happy to help you with just one type of tumor - ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to give a detailed description of the possible hormone changes that may result from a tumor on the pituitary glands. Can you help me on this.

Maria
Expert:  Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well - I would be glad to help you on one tumor, say a Prolactinoma - is that okay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how many tumors are on the pituitary glands?
Expert:  Owen replied 2 years ago.
a LOT.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just give me one that should be fine thanks
Expert:  Owen replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Owen, Attending Physician
Experience: I teach medical students and residents with title of Asst. Professor