Lisa L. Kawecki
Lisa L. Kawecki, Certified Teacher
Experience:  BA in Eng. & Edu.; 15 yrs. Teaching Exper.
20507158

Verse Exchange between Elizabeth and Sir Walter Raleigh

Customer Question

What is the summary/main points in Verse Exchange between Elizabeth and Sir Walter Raleigh? I need it translated to modern English, so that I can understand.

I am having a hard time understanding verse exchange between elizabeth and sir walter raleigh. Can someone please explain what it's about the the main points. I can't find any information about it online.

(ralegh to elizabeth)

Fortune hath taken thee away, my love, My life's joy and my soul's heaven above; Fortune hath taken thee away my princess, My world's delight and my true fancy's mistress. Fortune hath taken all away from me, Fortune hath taken all by taking thee; Dead to all joys, I only live to woe, So Fortune now becomes my fancy's foe. In vain mine eyes, in vain you waste your tears, In vain my sighs, the smokes of my despairs, In vain you search the earth and heavens above, In vain you search, for fortune keeps my love. Then will I leave my love in Fortune's hands, Then will I leave my love in worthless bands, And only love the sorrow due to me; Sorrow, henceforth that shall my princess be, And only joy that Fortune conquers kings, Fortune that rules on earth and earthly things Hath ta'en my love in spite of virtue's might: So blind a goddess did never virtue right. With wisdom's eyes had but blind Fortune seen, Then had my love my love forever been; But love, farewell, though Fortune conquer thee, No Fortune base shall ever alter me.

(The Queen's answer) Ah silly pug, wert thou so sore afraid? Mourn not, my Wat, nor be thou so dismayed; It passeth fickle Fortune's power and skill To force my heart to think thee any ill. No Fortune base, thou sayest, shall alter thee; And may so blind a wretch then conquer me? No, no, my pug, though Fortune were not blind, Assure thyself she could not rule my mind. Ne chose I thee by foolish Fortune's rede, Ne can she make me alter with such speed, But must thou needs sour sorrow's servant be, If that to try thy mistress jest with thee. Fortune, I grant, sometimes doth conquer kings, And rules and reigns on earth and earthly things, But never think that Fortune can bear sway, If virtue watch and will her not obey. Pluck up thy heart, suppress thy brackish tears, Torment thee not, but put away thy fears, Thy love, thy joy, she loves no worthless bands, Much less to be in reeling Fortune's hands. Dead to all joys and living unto woe, Slain quite by her that never gave wiseman blow, Revive again and live without all dread, The less afraid the better shalt thou speed.

Category: Homework
Expert:  Lisa L. Kawecki replied 5 years ago.

Good morning,

I would be happy to help you. I am an english lit. teacher. If you only need me to translate this for you, and explain in modern english,(not write a paper) I would be able to have everything posted for you this evening.

Please let me know,

Have a nice day,

Lisa

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I would like to translate late it to modern english and afterward write a short summary explainning the main points and ideas.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I need it translated to modern English. I also need a short summary explainning the main points and ideas.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Please let me know if you will be able to do this

Yes, I will have this done for you tonight. I finish teaching my last class at 4:00. I will then be posting answers for my customers. You will have your information posted by early evening.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Lisa

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you

you are welcome
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I also need a modern english translation for a 2 paragraph poem. It is by Sir Walter Raleigh and is called from the history of death. I posted below for 23 dollars. If you would like to answer this question as well it should be located some where in my profile

If I can find the question I will gladly translate for you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if you can find it. If not I'll see what I can do
Hi, I just got online, and am unable to find your other posting. In about an hour I will have this translated for you and posted. Unable to find your other question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I posted the another question directly to you.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.